1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What are the cheaper options for using the Yamaha THR editor?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by DrPepper, Oct 2, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't have a smart phone and the app wont load onto chromebook. What are the cheaper options for me? Thanks...

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Get a used/cheap Android tablet.

Rocky058 and bodevelho like this.
  3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Sorry for not having an answer to your problem, but that makes me think I should really try and explore myself...
    These compatibility issues are such a nightmare :mad:

4. DrPepper

Yeah, I'm rotary in a smartphone world...

EsquireBoy likes this.
  5. DrPepper

One other issue I have with the THR is the way the sound drops on the last stages of decay,maybe that is something some tweaks could minimize... Anyway, I am going to try something different for a headphone amp. Don't worry, the THR will still get plenty of usage.

6. EsquireBoy

I love mine for what it is: a wonderful practice amp. And I use it almost everyday, especially when I want to play late or when I have 15 minutes ahead a don’t want to warm up the tube amps.
    But in the end I’ve found one sound that I really like, and do not ever change the settings to be honest.
    What I’d like to change however is to be able to get a slow but still deep tremolo (with factory settings you decrease the depth at the same time you’re slowering down the rate).
    It’s been many months I want to try and change that, but the idea of having to upload apps and softwares on my computer or my phone to do so, makes me procrastinate.

RomanS likes this.
  7. DrPepper

I like mine but that abrupt volume fall off happens at the wrong time for me. I think that jacking with the noise gate would make it less obvious. but before I buy a smartphone or whatever, I will explore other avenues...

8. EsquireBoy

I’ve never noticed this unnatural note decay, but I’m playing at quite low volume when using the THR so it’s probably less obvious.

9. fishermike

fishermike Tele-Meister

I just plug into my computer. You don't need anything fancy.

10. bodevelho

bodevelho Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I used it 90% with a laptop but towards the end (I've moved on from Yamaha THR) I used it with my cheap aliexpress android tablet.

I still have affection for the THRs, but I got to the point that as much time I was spending in the editing app (to get the presets where I wanted them) I just bought a modeler.

11. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks for the post! I have a THR5 and did not even realize an editor was available, I probably could have looked at the book or the box for that matter. So tonight I downloaded the driver and found a USB chord. Being able to add a compressor is awesome and I find being able to deep dive into the reverb and delay is nice. But in the end it is just a fun practice tool that sounds decent.

12. DrPepper

No longer an issue for me, got an Iridium, the THR is going back...

barrymclark likes this.
  13. DrPepper

IDK, maybe this one has an issue but, I just don't like the way it goes silent, it's not natural...

14. barrymclark

barrymclark Tele-Meister

Yup. Mine went back too. Took about a week. I figured a few things out with the app that made the cleaner tones less harsh. The overdrive i just didn't much care for. May be plenty that dig it but just not for me.

DrPepper likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.