1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Are the Chances?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by String Tree, Apr 12, 2021.

1. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Most of the people I play (and this goes for Me, too) with are Mercenary.
    We go where the Money is.

I have a Bass player who has done this since I met him. I do the same thing and we get along great.
    So:
    He booked his other band at a place out of town a couple months ago to play last Saturday Night.
    Last week, his sound and light guy said he couldn't do it.
    I stepped-up, all was well.
    I tell one of the Secretays at work about the show on Friday, the day before the show.
    She shows up in the middle of the second Set. She had a great time and left during the Middle of the third (last) set.
    I stayed and did the work they paid me for, wrap every cord and pack the lights and PA.

On the drive home, we see that the Police and Fire Department have two of the three lanes closed.
    We slowed down. We saw somebodys Ford Explorer burned to a cinder. They had a trailer but, it was unharmed.
    Then I see my Secretary standing with the former occupants of that Car. But, I didn't know it was her.

These people, in their early 70's, had been dealing with the Drivers, deceased mothers, estate.
    They packed the Trailer and had been driving all day.
    This was on a hill with a pretty respectable incline.
    Their Transmission gave out and they pulled over to make plans to get it towed.

What they could not see was that it had caught Fire!

Enter my Secretary, she saw the Flame, pulled over, got them out, then Dialed 911.
    A minute later, it was an inferno.

Those people didn't have time to grab their coats (it was 35 and windy). They barely got their phones.
    She let them stay in her car while their car burnt like nobody's business.
    After all of the Responders were done, she stayed with them sun til their Son could come and get them.

She was still shaking from that one this morning at work.
    Seeing what she saw .... You understand.

So I told her, you were at the right place at the right time and you did the Right Thing!
    She couldn't shake how worried they were.
    So, I told her that because of Her, they were Alive and, unharmed.

What are the chances?

2. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You are absolutely right. She was awesome! That's great. They will never forget her kindness.

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

That's great. Glad nobody was hurt. And yes, sometimes you're put in the right place and given the opportunity to do the right thing. Good on her.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Perhaps we should credit the Karma of the folks who's car burned? "Something" blessed them with that secretary being there at that particular moment. ;)
    And credit to YOU as well.....it was you who was the reason for her to be out that night.

String Tree likes this.
  5. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Same odds as me feeling as if there's a ghost in the house with me. Yes, it's something going on and it's probably not something that can be easily explained. Butterfly effect, I guess. If they have good insurance, it's ALL good. The vehicle, the trailer and the contents are all covered. They can go on a spending spree!

6. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

The heat you feel off a burning car is incredible. Drove by one once, could feel it through the door/window of my truck.

7. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes things work out in ways that turn a bad situation into a situation that is not as bad as it could be.

The tragedy of the loss of a vehicle is small compared to what it could have been.

The secretary is one great person that did the right thing at the right time. Bravo to her.

Karma can be an uplifting thing or she can be a b****

Jim622 likes this.
  8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The sad side of being a Hero is that Somebody else has to be in trouble.

Our secretary is our newest hire.
    You always wonder about what kind of a person the newest hire is.
    I got my answer!!!

P Thought and nojazzhere like this.
  9. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

My old man's an ex-cop and saw the accident below when my folks were on their own move north from central NM, late 2018. Ryder was towing that little Scion, driver dipped a wheel off that tiny shoulder and that was that, mom says they were no further than 150' back and there was nobody behind them.

This stretch redefines "middle of nowhere;" forget about cellular. I made the same drive three or four times with my dad two weeks prior when I was helping them move the big stuff, and for a hundred-plus miles it was rare to see a car passing us the other way. For those who know the state, it was an hour outside of Duran/Vaughn (pop. ~350), and medical attention was at least that far away.

My dad (on a recently remanufactured ankle) gets out to find a very-dazed driver, the windshield somewhat popped out. He also saw fuel dumping and proceeded to yank this guy through the opening and drag him clear.

Another car stops within five minutes of that extrication... somehow it was an RN (that's her pictured later I believe). She started tending to the guy as my dad is directing what traffic there was and trying to keep people away from the fuel. Another guy pulls up a few minutes later, and says "I'm a doctor, is anyone here hurt?" Some time later the ambo shows up, and my dad put a $100 in the guy's pocket as they put the stretcher in.

What are the chances? Welp, sometimes you are unlucky and have an accident, but I have to say if I have an off and am asked... nurse, doctor, and generous cop are going to be way up my list of requested personnel.

Your secretary is good people. Sure are a lot of 'em.

upload_2021-4-13_12-23-5.png

upload_2021-4-13_12-2-50.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.