What Are the Best Univox Super Fuzz Clones?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Radspin, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Im looking for an authentic sounding Univox Super Fuzz clone. I’d prefer one with a tone switch rather than a knob but this isn’t a dealbreaker as long as I can get the authentic sound of the midrange-y setting. (I don’t like the scooped-midrange bass-heavy setting.) I had an original but it broke and when it was repaired it was never the same.

Pedals I’ve tried so far:

Black Cat Super Fuzz—good, maybe not quite 100 percent accurate. Sold it, should have kept it.

Idiotbox Effects Ron Swanson—seemed to have either a built-in noise gate (not sure) or lacked sustain.

I’ve heard good things about the Wattson but they’re hard to find and expensive. The Tru-Fi, Ananashead and Fredric units look interesting but YouTube demos are inconclusive for me. I’m not all that interested in the Behringer—not impressed with the build quality of their pedals—unless someone tells me it nails the sound. The demos of the Analog Fox sound right on, but the build quality looks a little funky at least in pictures.

So, recommendations are welcomed.

Marquee Moon likes this.
  2. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

There's this one, but I can't rate it's accuracy because I've never heard an OG Univox one in person.

http://ballseffects.com/fuzz/supercharger/

Maybe not what you're looking for though, since it's got a knob and not a switch, and he included a clean blend so that bassists could use it without losing the whole low end.

3. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have one of the early Wattson Super Fuzz, I bought it from the maker off of Harmony Central when he first started making them. I haven't A-B'd it with vintage one's or anything but they are supposed to be about as close as you can get.

I guess somebody A-B'd them (I haven't watched it)

StratmanSteve likes this.
  4. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

They’ve become hard to find and expensive. But I’ve heard great things about them. I’ll check out the video.

5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

• (510) 782-6483 Wattson's #

6. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

OttoCorrect likes this.
  7. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

This.

I had a Knuckle Dragger too, among many many other super fuzz circuits and the Wilson Knuckle Dragger had an excellent Super Fuzz sound and thanks to the additional knobs, loads of other great sounds too. Excellent pedal.

Gunerius likes this.
  8. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

That Knuckle Dragger looks like fun!

Gunerius likes this.
  9. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Anyone know anything about the Ananashead or Tri-Fi clones, or the various Fredric Effects takes on the Super Fuzz, like the Unpleasant Companion and so on?

I have not been able to find a Wattson and whenever the Black Cat Super Fuzz comes up for sale on Reverb they don't last long (the last one sold within about two hours).

Gunerius likes this.
  10. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

General Guitar Gadgets sell a kit. It’s on sale right now. I don’t know how accurate it is, but they know their FX over there. For the price, it would be a good pedal to fill in until you score a booteek one. After that, a cheap spare.

zippofan likes this.
  11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

It looks to be pretty accurate, IMO. The transistors that GGG includes (2N2222A) are probably the only thing someone may want to experiment with, IMO.

Another option, if building DIY, would be the Aion Electronics Rift - https://aionelectronics.com/project/rift-125b-univox-superfuzz

Even though the Rift kit only contains the PCB, the documentation and tips for tweaking potentially make for a better sounding Super Fuzz (there are tweaks for getting the most out of the octave effect, for example).

Years ago, I built a Foxx Tone Machine, which is like a descendant of the Super Fuzz. I'd had a couple of Dano French Toast pedals, which were pretty close copies of the FTM. I was building my own to have the octave switch footswitchable, but I also went with 2N3904 transistors, and ended up with an octave fuzz pedal that IMO sounded so much better than the Dano French Toast. Long story short is the 2N3904 is potentially a good choice in the Super Fuzz, too.

12. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Well, I'm OK with a soldering iron and a multimeter...but really nearsighted. Let's put it this way, it took me more than an hour to replace a DPDT switch in a pedal the other day...something one of you guys might be able to do in five or 10 minutes! But that GGG kit looks interesting.

By the way Keith, I have a 72 and a 98.6 and I'm never parting with them (I confess, I bought them used a few years ago).

13. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I'll admit that I've had to use readers now for the last 3+ years, and I got turned onto jeweler's magnifying devices after spending some time with a really cool old jeweler in the French Quarter of New Orleans a few years back (was getting my wife's engagement ring totally redone). As a result of that, I found devices like these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CDJKM2/?tag=tdpri-20

...that specific one may not work for you, but there's a ton there to choose from. They are really good IMO at restoring what Mother Nature has taken away from us...

zippofan likes this.
  14. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Look for Shin-Ei made fuzz wah pedal. Those have the early FY6 Superfuzz as the fuzz circuit. No need for a clone. They can be found for $150 and under if you know what to look for., Shin-Ei made them under dozens of brand names. I own a Memphis, Apollo & Jax labelled fuzz wah that have the FY6 circuit. The wah is a Crybaby type and allows for extra tone shaping. Here is a demo:

This one sold earlier this week, so they can be found for reasonable prices:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=372811417973

Here is one currently on auction:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=202805057791

More photos:

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/shinei/companion/wf8#pictures

15. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

reuss goo goo fuzz for traditional superfuzz - as used by kid congo!
    ss/bs buzz for the ultimate tweakable superfuzz. also excellent on bass
    zvex octane 3 for a middle ground between traditional sounding and flexible

the fredric super unpleasant companion is also very good.

Gunerius likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.