1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What are the best NOS 12AX7 tubes out there...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Big_Bend, Feb 5, 2013.

1. anonymous

anonymous TDPRI Member

Most ECC803 tubes are fakes or called ECC803 to imply they're constructed or sound like the Telefunken. The Telefunken ECC803S has a frame grid construction (the "S" = "Spanngitter" in German or "frame grid" in English) and is used to eliminate microphonics. It's one reason why the later JJ ECC803 tubes cost around twenty dollars and the real NOS Telefunken ECC803 tubes cost around a grand. There are a few sites on the web showing real vs. fake tubes. If you find a Telefunken ECC803S going through old amps and stuff, that new tele can be yours! :D

GE or Sylvania JAN 5751 tubes can be a great 12AX7 replacement.

2. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Regardless of what name is applied, the long plate JJ "ECC803" sounds good. Does not matter at this point if it has a real frame-grid or not.

I have other NOS examples of USA built long plate 12AX7s and they all sound great. Problem is they do tend to be a bit microphonic. My point being that the long plate tubes usually sound good if you can find one without excess microphonics.

3. rsi106

rsi106 TDPRI Member

I like 12AD7, 12DT7 and 12DF7 for non PI positions.

4. anonymous

anonymous TDPRI Member

Yes, no doubt the JJ may sound fine. Just the tube naming convention can be confusing.

5. BluesOwl

BluesOwl Tele-Holic

organ donor

Big Bend,
    you always have decent posts...good post-side manner
    craigslist baldwin orga-sonic with 51p or 54a or 55r similar model #
    8 x 12AX7 (syl grey) 6 x el84 (syl.black or RaythJapanGrey) and a 5U4 (Syl blk)
    they're many times free
    got a free one here in Mich today off craigslist

wanna try a sylvania grey plate for cheap? I'll test it for opens/shorts and taste-test it in some amp

Go look at my photos PAGE 2
    The organ in the back of my Element right now is identical to the one in the photos which passed thru last year. There are closeups of the 12AX7s etc.

aah...mmmmmmm...$25 shppd/ppd ???

Oh Yeah, I forgot, yer out there

GO TO LOS ALAMOS NM QUICK

see below:twisted:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1212698

6. BluesOwl

BluesOwl Tele-Holic

just checked ebay
    my price is too expensive
    lower it to $18

7. Coldacre

Coldacre Tele-Meister

Mike from KCA is a great tube dealer. he won't try to rip you off. send him an email, tell him your budget, what amp you have and what you're after. he's the favoured vendor of many and I swear by him.

my 2 cents is that is it WELL worth spending extra $ on a quality 12AX7 to go into V1. I ended up spending $75 on a ANOS (almost new old stock) Mullard. best money I ever spent. I filled out the rest of the pre-amp slots with $50 GE's. they've been rocking my amp for the last 3 years and they're not going anywhere soon.

8. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

V1 position is indeed typically the most critical. Always put your best 12AX7 in that socket. It may be worth it to splurge a bit on the tube for V1.

9. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly! Which is why I started this thread. :lol:

Some great information here, thanks y'all! I now know a lot more about what to look for. With my Fender Super Reverb and Twin Reverb amps its the V2 slot of course, but ya same thing.

I'm definitely going to have to try some 5881s.

Take care...

10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I got some vintage Tungsol 5881 green or brown base...color blind.
    they are too far out of match for me to use ...

11. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Keep a look out for old tube organs. I bought an old Lowrey tube organ at Goodwil for $75/ stripped the RCA 12AX7's out of it (there were 6) replaced them with old Sovteks and donated it back to Goodwill. Wife said whatever I did I had to leave it playable if I was going to buy it. So 6 used RCA 12AX7A's for $75. Not bad

12. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

I got lucky and found some nice old GE 5751 tubes, the ∆ symbol on the glass
    was the Phillips plant in Copenhagen and they are my favorite.

[​IMG]

Here is a great website that has info about the markings on tubes so you can tell where they were manufactured. A lot of info here,

https://docs.com/DC5Z

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.