What are some of the best deals you’ve gotten on a piece of music gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fendarr, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I just traded a parts caster Tele I built for a Carr Mercury amplifier that sounds heavenly...!

60186600903__18E9A55C-BA78-4B06-8704-76C49126D817.JPG

Flaneur and Fendarr like this.
  2. control voltage

control voltage TDPRI Member

Some here might demand to be PAID to take home this guitar, but I think it's kinda cool. I got a 1983 Electra Futura (MIJ) with OHSC, strap, decent cable, and a Peavey Audition 20 practice amp for $30 total. It's not my favorite, aesthetically, Ferrari red with all-flat-black neck (even the rosewood fingerboard is tinted black), but it's fun to play. The tone pots are push/pull coil splitters for the very hot humbuckers.

Also, a USA-made (though some have said only assembled in the USA) Peavey Reactor AX for $40. It needed basic setup work, and a couple of wires re-soldered.

These photos aren't mine, but show the same models and color schemes. My Reactor didn't come with a case, though, and has a couple more dings than the one below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fendarr likes this.
  3. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Wow,let's see...…...LOL.

Rare black tolex/tweed Champ ('64?)--$15.00
    Magnatone amp (can't remember model)--2-12"/ 2 smaller speakers with a Teisco tulip guitar----$35.00
    '56 Pro Amp----$75.00
    '60 tweed Vibrolux--$70.00
    '70s Champ----$20.00
    Hofner solid body bass---has exact same pickups and electronics as Beatle Bass---$10.00
    '59 burst (ouch!)----$1000.00 (this was in the '70s).
    Large headstock Squier Strat with hardshell case----$40.00

I know I might have left out a few....
    No bragging,I have been blessed,and in the right place at the right time.

Fendarr likes this.
  4. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic

I've had 2 Univox Univibes. I was given one & paid $40.00 for the other. Sold them both at different times for a total of around $1400.00.

Fendarr likes this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Mesa.jpg
    I found this Mesa Boogie Express in a small mom and pop in Frederick, MD on the way to Virginia to visit family. The Plus model had just come out and I wanted to play it. The store web site listed the new model in stock but by the time I got there, it had been sold. This one was new on the floor priced to sell at $800. The weekend I stopped by there was an additional 20% store credit on markdown items which I used next trip down on a tweed case for my Telecaster. The Gretsch Anniversary was also a pretty good deal. I got it for the opening bid of $1200 including shipping on an eBay auction. It came in a hard shell case in an unopened Gretsch shipping box packed inside an outer box. You can't see it in the pic but this is the one with the Bigsby. Look closely and you'll see the roller bridge. That's real NOS.

Fendarr likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My dream machine. Fantastic score.

7. Obsessed

Wow. I am sooo jealous.

8. Obsessed

Geez, I always thought I got some great deals, but everyone here have made awesome scores.

9. Bri-Sonic

Bri-Sonic Tele-Meister

Just picked up a Trio Plus and FS3X footswitch for the price of a Trio. Happy chappy.

10. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

my Laney VC-15 made in England bought on 2008 242€ shipped

Flaneur likes this.
  11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, man! Over the course of my guitar-playing life, I’ve had several guitars given to me as gifts. I guess that counts as a “best deal.” I don't even have every gift guitar anymore, sadly. And it's late, so I'll leave it there...for now...

12. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Meister

There used to be a store called Mars Music. Went there in ‘99 to look around and check out guitars. They had two identical ‘69RI Thinlines on the wall side by side. One had a tagged price of $679. The other was marked as a Nashville Telecaster for $429. I found the clerk and asked him if the price was correct to which he replied “yes it is correct, $429.” I said I’ll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.