What are some of the best deals you’ve gotten on a piece of music gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fendarr, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I just traded a parts caster Tele I built for a Carr Mercury amplifier that sounds heavenly...!

60186600903__18E9A55C-BA78-4B06-8704-76C49126D817.JPG

telleutelleme, Flaneur and Fendarr like this.
  2. control voltage

control voltage TDPRI Member

Some here might demand to be PAID to take home this guitar, but I think it's kinda cool. I got a 1983 Electra Futura (MIJ) with OHSC, strap, decent cable, and a Peavey Audition 20 practice amp for $30 total. It's not my favorite, aesthetically, Ferrari red with all-flat-black neck (even the rosewood fingerboard is tinted black), but it's fun to play. The tone pots are push/pull coil splitters for the very hot humbuckers.

Also, a USA-made (though some have said only assembled in the USA) Peavey Reactor AX for $40. It needed basic setup work, and a couple of wires re-soldered.

These photos aren't mine, but show the same models and color schemes. My Reactor didn't come with a case, though, and has a couple more dings than the one below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fendarr likes this.
  3. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Wow,let's see...…...LOL.

Rare black tolex/tweed Champ ('64?)--$15.00
    Magnatone amp (can't remember model)--2-12"/ 2 smaller speakers with a Teisco tulip guitar----$35.00
    '56 Pro Amp----$75.00
    '60 tweed Vibrolux--$70.00
    '70s Champ----$20.00
    Hofner solid body bass---has exact same pickups and electronics as Beatle Bass---$10.00
    '59 burst (ouch!)----$1000.00 (this was in the '70s).
    Large headstock Squier Strat with hardshell case----$40.00

I know I might have left out a few....
    No bragging,I have been blessed,and in the right place at the right time.

Fendarr likes this.
  4. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic

I've had 2 Univox Univibes. I was given one & paid $40.00 for the other. Sold them both at different times for a total of around $1400.00.

Fendarr likes this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Mesa.jpg
    I found this Mesa Boogie Express in a small mom and pop in Frederick, MD on the way to Virginia to visit family. The Plus model had just come out and I wanted to play it. The store web site listed the new model in stock but by the time I got there, it had been sold. This one was new on the floor priced to sell at $800. The weekend I stopped by there was an additional 20% store credit on markdown items which I used next trip down on a tweed case for my Telecaster. The Gretsch Anniversary was also a pretty good deal. I got it for the opening bid of $1200 including shipping on an eBay auction. It came in a hard shell case in an unopened Gretsch shipping box packed inside an outer box. You can't see it in the pic but this is the one with the Bigsby. Look closely and you'll see the roller bridge. That's real NOS.

Fendarr likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My dream machine. Fantastic score.

7. Obsessed

Wow. I am sooo jealous.

8. Obsessed

Geez, I always thought I got some great deals, but everyone here have made awesome scores.

9. Bri-Sonic

Bri-Sonic Tele-Meister

Just picked up a Trio Plus and FS3X footswitch for the price of a Trio. Happy chappy.

10. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

my Laney VC-15 made in England bought on 2008 242€ shipped

schotter611 and Flaneur like this.
  11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, man! Over the course of my guitar-playing life, I’ve had several guitars given to me as gifts. I guess that counts as a “best deal.” I don't even have every gift guitar anymore, sadly. And it's late, so I'll leave it there...for now...

12. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Holic

There used to be a store called Mars Music. Went there in ‘99 to look around and check out guitars. They had two identical ‘69RI Thinlines on the wall side by side. One had a tagged price of $679. The other was marked as a Nashville Telecaster for $429. I found the clerk and asked him if the price was correct to which he replied “yes it is correct, $429.” I said I’ll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

This! I got mine used (and visually in bad shape) for only a little less last year but I still think it's a steal. Never seen so much amp for this little money.

14. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Meister

my dad wasn't much of a guitar player, so he gave me a 67 vibrochamp he bought in the 70s for 20 dollars. i traded it for my first bassman head from 67.

i bought an all original BF bassman piggyback about ten years ago for 500 dollars from someone who didn't really know what they had.

buddy of mine scored a 60s ac-30 about ten years ago for 300 bucks that was just lying around in an antique store.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  15. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Lab Series L5 - $50. Sounds great and loud!
    Gibson S-1 - free! Buried in the attic of some dump I rented. Beat up and head separated from neck. 20 plus years later with fret job and its a great guitar.

16. micadoo

micadoo TDPRI Member

I found this 1966 JMI Vox AC30 Top Boost in hard rubbish a few years ago. All the grille cloth was gone, so I put some material I had on it. IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1898.JPG

17. Novak

Novak TDPRI Member

Blonde Ampeg AMG100 at Sam ASH ~2017 new for $250. Now it's my weekday "woodshed" guitar to save daily wear and tear on my telecaster and Revstar, which I play on the weekends.

18. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

You didn't look in the trunk before you bought it? Lucky there wasn't a body. Lol.

19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

76 Gibson S1 - $175 with original case. Early E-Bay purchase.
    97 Chet Atkins Tennessean NOS from GC at Thanksgiving close-out sale for $900.
    New 02 LP Classic when MARS music closed for $1100.00

20. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

64878363-E643-4A3D-B1C7-7591EF3C3A4B.jpeg White piggyback Bassman $35. Back in the eighties I worked with a guy who said he had an old fender amp and wondered if I’d be interested in it. I said yes, so I stopped by his house one evening and looked at the speaker cab. He said he didn’t know for sure where the rest of it (the head) was, but if I wanted the cab I could have it for twenty bucks.

I took it home not really knowing what I was going to do with it, so it sat for a few months. One day the guy waves me down and said he’d located the other piece to the amp.

We met. He pulled out the head which had been stored underneath the deck of a buddy’s house.
    The back was full of leaves, sticks and acorns. I asked what he wanted for it. He said since it was so much smaller than the bigger piece he’d take $15.

I did replace the speakers and had some very necessary work done to the head, but it remains my best purchase to date.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.