What are some of the best deals you’ve gotten on a piece of music gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fendarr, Feb 12, 2020.

1. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I had that exact same Galanti Continental, only green sunburst back in the 60s, & I have been looking for another. Woulda bought it from you.

2. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Three amazing trades:
    Chris Shiflett Signature Fender Tele > G&L Tribute ASAT Semi-Hollow Bluesboy that I LOVE to play
    Gibson 2015 Jr > Fender Nashville that's one of the nicest guitars I own
    Mod'd Squier Cabronita > Fender Modern Player Deluxe P90 Thinline (last weekend)

Fendarr likes this.
  3. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

I had one of those. I still kick myself for getting rid of it.

4. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

2017 Les Paul Classic for $925 in Ebay before they started charging sales tax. Other than some buckle rash, guitar was/is great.

Fendarr likes this.
  5. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

I guess my best deal was my Squier Tele Standard that you see in my avatar. I picked it up new at L&M for $250, which I thought was a great deal. The company I worked for had just told me that for my 25th anniversary with them I could take myself and Ms. darkwaters to the restaurant of our choice aaaand pick out a $250 gift for myself. Woo hoo !

Since the guitar was free, I thought I'd mod it to be exactly what I wanted. Here's how it started life and what it looks like now:

DSC03191.JPG

IMG-0498.JPG

stevemc and Fendarr like this.
  6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

Back in the early 90's I traded my old battered, heavily gigged, Aria Pro II TA 40 for a mint/almost new limited edition Japanese Squier Hank Marvin Signature Strat, Fiesta red, sig on the headstock .... which I imagine would be quite desirable these days.

I sprayed it blue with car paint and scraped the signature off the headstock, put a humbucker in the bridge and generally just destroyed it.... what a muppet.

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I bought my Dano as I had always read about them, ( as being cool student models/ slide...) thought the RI's looked cool, cheap. ( I had 10-12 guitars at the time)

Never knew how good a player and how great sounding these are ( dirty, mine sounds like a big fat hollow body going thru a Tweed - say, for swing blues)
    Mine needs fret work- 22 years of play

8. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Back in the 90s I was looking for a used car for my teenage son, had a friend in the business and he called to say he just took in a nice trade that would be great for my son. Had the mechanics checked out and bought it. brought it home, looked in the trunk, and there was a Peavey Renown amplifier in perfect working order! Free amp!

Fendarr likes this.
  9. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

yeah, they have there own thing going on. Fun to play, cool sound. Personally I'd much rather have a Dano than a Gibson.

10. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

- Ex demo 2010 Strat, perfect condition, £650 brand new in case when they were going for about £1k
    - 1994 MIJ Tele that needed a short circuit fixing and a new pickguard, £70 end of last year... But as I've described before, there's a story behind that as it's been passed around a few friends over the years and it's always £70!

Fendarr likes this.
  11. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

I bought a Chinese made resonator guitar for a hundred bucks off Sweetwater during a blowout sale that lasted about four hours. I can't remember the brand - something anglicized.
    It was a nice little thing for the money, and I learned to play slide on it.

Couple years later, I traded it straight up, for a big old Samick Hollowbody - their top of the line model. Loved that one for a few years, but it did feed back a bit in a band situation.

Traded it for a 90's Epiphone Sheraton. Love everything about it, except the dog eared headstock, and the slightly muddy pick ups.

I plan to keep trading up till I end up with a vintage Gibson 335.

What do you offer for my Epi?

20200213_051302.jpg

stevemc and Fendarr like this.
  12. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

A mint 2006 Gibson ES137 Custom for about $900 US
    IMG_00000200.jpg

Flaneur, stevemc and Fendarr like this.
  13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

By coincidence, this was my best deal too. A guy on CL wanted $600 for his BC Artist, with a Robben Ford capsule. He ended up selling it to me for $400. Eventually I sold the amp and capsule separately, and made over $200 profit. That balanced out many other small losses I have had to absorb on other items.

Fendarr likes this.
  14. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Got this 05 squier pawn shop 51 in a pawn shop in Texas. Paid $40 bucks out the door.

Fendarr likes this.
  15. dhodgeh

dhodgeh TDPRI Member

Early 70's.

$40 for a non working Silver Face Super Reverb at a pawn shop. Heck, even in my teen's at the time, I figured the speakers and cab were worth that.

My dad's cousin looked at it and said it needed a new power transformer. $26 for that and I had a working Super Reverb! A year or so later, I sold the thing for $150 thinking I had done myself good.

I do wish I still had that amp.

D

Fendarr likes this.
  16. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I also picked up a used Yamaha EMX68s powered mixer for about $40 US to use for rehearsals and as a backup to our PA. Works great!

EMX68S-b9574236c3bf045b96f81741d1a6cc44[1].jpg

Fendarr likes this.
  17. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul TDPRI Member

Got some good deals from a local Music-Go-Round some years back. A 1988 MIJ Washburn HB-35 with OHSC for $350. 1994 Gibson All-American II for $250. Also a Jackson DR-7 for $250. It was on consignment from a guy who worked at another MGR. Evidently he thought it was one of the made in India DR-7s, which is why it was priced at $250. It was actually made in Korea, and the new ones were selling at $699. I traded that away years ago, since I don't have much need for a 7-string, but I still have the Washburn and Gibson.

Found a set of Fender Tele pickups on e-Bay. They were taken out of a MIM Tele, and the seller had no reserve on them. You could clearly see the part numbers on the bobbins, and they were US-made pickups. I got them for $20 and put them in my 1996 Epiphone Tele copy.

Back in the 70s a friend of mine bought an old lap steel at a yard sale in Los Angeles for $20. He never learned how to play it and pretty much stayed in storage. He loaned it to me several years ago and never asked for it back. Eventually, I told him we should cut a deal. He had borrowed a Jay Turser 12-string electric from me and really liked it, so we traded straight up. The lap steel is a 1951 Magnatone Amerloha. Currently the oldest guitar I own.

Fendarr and gregulator450 like this.
  18. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This was free. I won a random drawing from a music store. Sweet Tele-ish uke! 20200213_095924.jpg

Fendarr likes this.
  19. Canner

Canner TDPRI Member

I sold a crate 2x12 so my high school girlfriend could buy birth control. hard to beat that deal

Fendarr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.