What are some of the best deals you’ve gotten on a piece of music gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fendarr, Feb 12, 2020.

1. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

I had that exact same Galanti Continental, only green sunburst back in the 60s, & I have been looking for another. Woulda bought it from you.

2. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Three amazing trades:
    Chris Shiflett Signature Fender Tele > G&L Tribute ASAT Semi-Hollow Bluesboy that I LOVE to play
    Gibson 2015 Jr > Fender Nashville that's one of the nicest guitars I own
    Mod'd Squier Cabronita > Fender Modern Player Deluxe P90 Thinline (last weekend)

Fendarr likes this.
  3. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I had one of those. I still kick myself for getting rid of it.

4. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

2017 Les Paul Classic for $925 in Ebay before they started charging sales tax. Other than some buckle rash, guitar was/is great.

Fendarr likes this.
  5. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

I guess my best deal was my Squier Tele Standard that you see in my avatar. I picked it up new at L&M for $250, which I thought was a great deal. The company I worked for had just told me that for my 25th anniversary with them I could take myself and Ms. darkwaters to the restaurant of our choice aaaand pick out a $250 gift for myself. Woo hoo !

Since the guitar was free, I thought I'd mod it to be exactly what I wanted. Here's how it started life and what it looks like now:

DSC03191.JPG

IMG-0498.JPG

stevemc and Fendarr like this.
  6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Back in the early 90's I traded my old battered, heavily gigged, Aria Pro II TA 40 for a mint/almost new limited edition Japanese Squier Hank Marvin Signature Strat, Fiesta red, sig on the headstock .... which I imagine would be quite desirable these days.

I sprayed it blue with car paint and scraped the signature off the headstock, put a humbucker in the bridge and generally just destroyed it.... what a muppet.

7. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I bought my Dano as I had always read about them, ( as being cool student models/ slide...) thought the RI's looked cool, cheap. ( I had 10-12 guitars at the time)

Never knew how good a player and how great sounding these are ( dirty, mine sounds like a big fat hollow body going thru a Tweed - say, for swing blues)
    Mine needs fret work- 22 years of play

9. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Back in the 90s I was looking for a used car for my teenage son, had a friend in the business and he called to say he just took in a nice trade that would be great for my son. Had the mechanics checked out and bought it. brought it home, looked in the trunk, and there was a Peavey Renown amplifier in perfect working order! Free amp!

schenkadere and Fendarr like this.
  10. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

yeah, they have there own thing going on. Fun to play, cool sound. Personally I'd much rather have a Dano than a Gibson.

11. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

- Ex demo 2010 Strat, perfect condition, £650 brand new in case when they were going for about £1k
    - 1994 MIJ Tele that needed a short circuit fixing and a new pickguard, £70 end of last year... But as I've described before, there's a story behind that as it's been passed around a few friends over the years and it's always £70!

Fendarr likes this.
  12. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

I bought a Chinese made resonator guitar for a hundred bucks off Sweetwater during a blowout sale that lasted about four hours. I can't remember the brand - something anglicized.
    It was a nice little thing for the money, and I learned to play slide on it.

Couple years later, I traded it straight up, for a big old Samick Hollowbody - their top of the line model. Loved that one for a few years, but it did feed back a bit in a band situation.

Traded it for a 90's Epiphone Sheraton. Love everything about it, except the dog eared headstock, and the slightly muddy pick ups.

I plan to keep trading up till I end up with a vintage Gibson 335.

What do you offer for my Epi?

20200213_051302.jpg

stevemc and Fendarr like this.
  13. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

A mint 2006 Gibson ES137 Custom for about $900 US
    IMG_00000200.jpg

Flaneur, stevemc and Fendarr like this.
  14. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

By coincidence, this was my best deal too. A guy on CL wanted $600 for his BC Artist, with a Robben Ford capsule. He ended up selling it to me for $400. Eventually I sold the amp and capsule separately, and made over $200 profit. That balanced out many other small losses I have had to absorb on other items.

Fendarr likes this.
  15. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Got this 05 squier pawn shop 51 in a pawn shop in Texas. Paid $40 bucks out the door.

Fendarr likes this.
  16. dhodgeh

dhodgeh TDPRI Member

Early 70's.

$40 for a non working Silver Face Super Reverb at a pawn shop. Heck, even in my teen's at the time, I figured the speakers and cab were worth that.

My dad's cousin looked at it and said it needed a new power transformer. $26 for that and I had a working Super Reverb! A year or so later, I sold the thing for $150 thinking I had done myself good.

I do wish I still had that amp.

D

Fendarr likes this.
  17. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I also picked up a used Yamaha EMX68s powered mixer for about $40 US to use for rehearsals and as a backup to our PA. Works great!

EMX68S-b9574236c3bf045b96f81741d1a6cc44[1].jpg

Fendarr likes this.
  18. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

Got some good deals from a local Music-Go-Round some years back. A 1988 MIJ Washburn HB-35 with OHSC for $350. 1994 Gibson All-American II for $250. Also a Jackson DR-7 for $250. It was on consignment from a guy who worked at another MGR. Evidently he thought it was one of the made in India DR-7s, which is why it was priced at $250. It was actually made in Korea, and the new ones were selling at $699. I traded that away years ago, since I don't have much need for a 7-string, but I still have the Washburn and Gibson.

Found a set of Fender Tele pickups on e-Bay. They were taken out of a MIM Tele, and the seller had no reserve on them. You could clearly see the part numbers on the bobbins, and they were US-made pickups. I got them for $20 and put them in my 1996 Epiphone Tele copy.

Back in the 70s a friend of mine bought an old lap steel at a yard sale in Los Angeles for $20. He never learned how to play it and pretty much stayed in storage. He loaned it to me several years ago and never asked for it back. Eventually, I told him we should cut a deal. He had borrowed a Jay Turser 12-string electric from me and really liked it, so we traded straight up. The lap steel is a 1951 Magnatone Amerloha. Currently the oldest guitar I own.

Fendarr and gregulator450 like this.
  19. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This was free. I won a random drawing from a music store. Sweet Tele-ish uke! 20200213_095924.jpg

Fendarr likes this.
  20. Canner

Canner TDPRI Member

I sold a crate 2x12 so my high school girlfriend could buy birth control. hard to beat that deal

nomadh, Patton and Fendarr like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.