What are some of the best deals you’ve gotten on a piece of music gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fendarr, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

1977 Ibanez Artist model 2618 for $80.00. This was about 15 years ago. It was a CL add, the add said Epiphone Les Paul but had a picture of an Ibanez artist. Turns out the guy had both for sale and messed up his ad. He, for some reason, thought the Epi les paul was a much better guitar and was trying to get me to buy it for $100. I passed and left with the artist. It reeked like cig smoke so bad, took a while for that smell to go away, a couple years out of the case, but it finally did.

Torren61, brookdalebill and Fendarr like this.
  2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I bought an amp that came with a box of spare valves. The valves were the reason I bought the amp.
    Numerous British made 12A*7 valves. Long and short plate 12AU7 + 12AX7 examples, plus a few 12AT7 for good measure.
    While not NOS, these all had intact markings and no sign of heat to the micas. Yes, they exhibited the startup flash too :)
    Going by the 'sold' prices on Ebay for similar lightly used, tested valves, I got close to £250 worth of valves, plus an amp for £90 inc postage. I have a few things in mind for the valves. One of the 12AU7's is currently fitted in a mic pre-amp, where it does sterling work. Another 12AU7 is fitted to an overdrive pedal, where it makes a sound creamier than Devon's finest clotted. A 12AX7 + 12AT7 found their way into the next item.

A Jet City JCA20H. £90 inc postage. The previous owner had left the stock Shugaung/Ruby valves in place, but had biased it to perfection. £90 for a decent ~20W single channel head unit isn't bad by anyone's standards. It sounded pretty damn fine to start with. I didn't think it'd be my sort of amp, but it has grown on me. What I didn't like was when I pushed the front end with a booster. Cue switching V1 for something older than me. A Mullard ECC83. Next, change the phase inverter for an ANOS 12AT7, and frankly, I'm not letting this amp go.

Squier Affinity Strat for chump change. I bought it because its pinkness appealed to me. I wanted a pink Strat. Shop soiled/damaged for around 1/3rd retail. It has a finish crack at the neck pocket and a ding to the rear. Did I mention it has an air of pink to it? A basic setup, a little filing here and there and the neck feels fantastic. It's pink.

Ammoon version of the Joyo American Sound. Tomtop had a price drop day. What a bargain!.

Torren61 and Fendarr like this.
  3. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

pic of the Ibby
    1977 Ibanez Artist 2618.jpg

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

2004 AVRI 62 - Traded my Am Pro Tele + 200usd

90’s Peavey Classic 30 - exc condition - 200 usd

Vox AC4TV - 100usd

Vox Pathfinder 15R - 80 usd

Torren61, NewKid and Fendarr like this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

20190410_084355.jpg 20180911_102029.jpg 00606_akEg5eS3VH0_1200x900.jpg My 1993 Martin D-1 acoustic. I paid under $700 for it. I have played the hell out of it for 27 years and made thousands with it.

My Vox Pathfinder 15R bought used for $85. Maybe seven years ago once again has made thousands with that one, too.
    The bottom line is I love both of these instruments. They're great.

One more a $240 danelectro reissue. Bought in the late 90s

** don't mean to focus on $$ - I just gig a lot ( many years) so you make $$!
    But these instruments have been a real joy to play.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  6. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

A few years ago when thrift stores weren't so greedy,

bought and sold prices

Squire affinity...$15 to $110
    Godin redline 1,... 29 to 400
    Tiesco tulip,.... 10 to 350
    BC Rich Mockingbird japan.... 50 to 350

a few other 10 dollar finds flipped for 200 ish

Seagull S6 with case, keeper, paid less than 10 bucks, S/N #127,
    Motion Sound KM-12 acoustic/ keyboard amp, paid $49... keeper

Best deal, Avalon U5 DI box, brand new .... free ..... definite keeper

wonder how many of us would list items we over paid for lol, i know i have a couple of those too

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Torren61, televillian and Fendarr like this.
  7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Old Epiphone MIJ clone of a Gibson acoustic ... my sister pulled it from a dumpster and gave it to me ...

8. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

About 8 years ago I picked up a used Reverend Jetstream for $430 at the local L&M. Love the look, quality and playability of it, but, sadly, it's taught me that I'm not a fan of P90's (I really thought I was), so I figure its days are numbered.

DSC06723.JPG

About 12 years ago I found a little '59 Supro Super for $260. She's a keeper.

DSC07813.JPG

Wildcard_35, Torren61 and Fendarr like this.
  9. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Picked up a like new Ibanez AM73 for $150. Moved it along to a friend for what I paid, in favor of my AS83 which was also a ridiculously priced bargain

10. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I recently bought this awesome Partscaster at a Pawnshop with the violin type Fender case for $100.00 "Out the Door" price. It need some sorting out - strings, string trees and a bit of tweaking but it is a great sounding guitar (added Treble-Bleed).
    [​IMG]
    It came with a single coil in the Neck and a black pickguard so I swapped out for the Humbucker parts.

Lost_N_Austin

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  11. Fendarr

Fendarr Tele-Meister

I thought about that too.

Sanity Inn likes this.
  12. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

In 2016 I scored a mint Mesa Lonestar Classic combo from 2005 for $650. I thought that was a killer deal.

Wildcard_35, Torren61 and Fendarr like this.
  13. Fendarr

Fendarr Tele-Meister

That is a killer deal! and a back killer too. Those amps are heavy but the tone is worth it.

suave eddie likes this.
  14. Canner

Canner TDPRI Member

Peavey Special 130 for $65

15. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

Most recently I won an auction for an Alvarez Denver Belle Banjo for around $200, fantastic 5 string. My current live amp, a custom built NAU combo for $400. I am always amazed with what people find in pawn shops, I have never been able to buy a thing in those stores.

Wildcard_35 and Torren61 like this.
  16. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

While waiting for my son to finish his drum lesson about.....damn... 20 years ago, I seen a Yamaha Silent Guitar for $99. The only thing wrong was the back screw/strap knob had a screw replacing the original piece. My wife made fun of me all the way home. When we got home I showed it to her in Musicians Friend for $500+. That guitar was taken apart and shoved in my sea bag for every deployment when I was in the reserves. Still have it.

17. Wound_Up

Wound_Up TDPRI Member

A $40 Squier Strat popped up on my local Facebook guitar group a few weeks ago. It was gone the next day. Don't know anything about it because the ad was pretty vague. Wish I would've tried to get it, now, but I passed since I had just bought mine and didn't really need it. I really wanted it, though. I'm sure something else will come along.

Fendarr likes this.
  18. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

A buddy gave me his stock, 74' Fender PR Silverface. It needed a bit of work, cleaning the pots, recone the speaker and replace the tubes, but once that was done, it was up and running!

19. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

10 or 12 years ago i bought a Chinese made upright bass at a yard sale for $50 and sold it at a yard sale two weeks later for $300

Sanity Inn and Fendarr like this.
  20. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted

tag1.jpg tag2.jpg

the above mentioned Martin guitar I saved the tag. The receipt from the Martin custom shops quoted retail price in 1994 was $22,270.00. They so old you can barely read them but in today's dollars that's 39,000.00 and to replace the guitar as is now over $70,000.00. You cant get many if any book-matched back and side Brazilian rosewood guitars made anymore. Personally I don't think any guitar is worth that much bec I taint rich n don't got google money.

Martin doesn't even list Brazilian anymore but the up charge for the ugly Madagascar rosewood is 10,000.00. The man who had this made Ive talked to him a few times said he got to walk thru Martins wood pile and pick out the wood for the guitar, what a treat that would be for anyone to see a woodpile from martins unlisted AAAAA stock. The top took 3 years to get made bec of the soundhole being Maccaferrii styled. An Englemann master grade 8 top. Much different than sitka bec while being much clearer it doesn't have the volume and requires a very light sensitive touch while playing. The top can be over-driven is what I'm saying. No beating on this with a pick. Made for fingerstyle. just some fyi for info nerds :)

he sold the guitar to guitar center in Arizona after he moved from the alimony state of New Jersey needing cash to pay off his ex.

States that still have permanent alimony are New Jersey, Connecticut, Vermont, North Carolina, West Virginia, Florida, and Oregon just fyi future guitar collectors

have a nice day :(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.