What are some of the best deals you’ve gotten on a piece of music gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fendarr, Feb 12, 2020.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

45 years after taking guitar lessons I got re acquainted with my guitar teacher. He was 80-85 years old then. He sold me a BFDR and BF Pro Rev dirt cheap. Gave me a huge Wurlitzer church organ. There was more stuff I should have bought.

Two Fender amps I bought were broken up in shipment. By the time the claim was paid, they were both pretty much free.

I have scored a couple US Fender Strats on CL for $500-550. One was an 80's Super Strat from original owner with hang tags.

Got a '57 Strat neck with serial number neckplate at an estate sale. It was bolted onto a cheap import 335 type body. $75

Driving past a small yard sale in front of a tiny yucky looking rental house, there was a stereo on the grass with home made speaker cabs. I noticed the aluminum JBL domes in the cabs. I stopped and bought the whole stereo for $75 They were JBL D130's with JBL 5" Mid range speakers and JBL Tweeters and JBL crossovers. The magnets on the 5" were like 5" diameter and about 3" thick! Ditto for the smaller tweeters.

Traded a JV Strat for a '38 Martin R18.

The one that got away ~2004:
    Someone I ran into had a 57 strat with case. Original owner. he wanted $8000, I hung firm at $6000 and never bought it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  2. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

Best free gear I ever got was this tele that my Father-in-Law made for me. He and my Mother-in-Law go to Florida every year during the winter. They came back in March that year and asked if we were going to be home. My wife said yes, so a little later they show up. I can’t help but notice that he walked in with a gig bag. My first thought was that he started playing guitar while they were in Florida, he bought a guitar, and he wanted to show it to me.

When I asked him if he bought a guitar and started playing while they were in Florida, he said; No, but I made something for you while I was in Florida. He hands me the gig bag, I open it up, and here is the guitar he built for me.

He has been carving wood for many years. I will say, I have quite a few really nice guitars, but I don’t think any of them are as special to me as this one is.

71DC40A2-709E-48C2-82C6-4AE1C497E91C.jpeg A2462B23-7141-41A3-89CF-C4DEE892AF8C.jpeg E45E7582-E4EC-4DCD-A228-D3DC6225EDAF.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bought my first Tele (a '52RI) the weekend my ex-wife moved out. I still consider that a great trade.

Torren61, NewKid, Wound_Up and 5 others like this.
  4. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've shared this story and these pics a ton of times, so I'll just give you the short version.

I found this Bigsby'd 1989 MIK Squier Tele on Craigslist. Cost me $150 and a 5-hour round trip.

unnamed-4.jpg

About another $150 in parts (electronics, pickup and Bigsby bits), and I had me an Esquire.

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

5. Fendarr

Fendarr Tele-Meister

4pickupguy and tah1962 like this.
  6. Splodgeness

Splodgeness Tele-Meister

upload_2020-2-12_20-47-50.jpeg

Got one of these off EBay for £45 ($55? US) ..... When new they were over £1000 and I've not seen another one secondhand for less than £100

Torren61 and Fendarr like this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Ages ago I acquired a Takamine F385 12 string for $75 and a Hondo II HD920B for ~$40...still play them. Paid $350 for a Nashville Deluxe Telecaster 7-8 years ago...they've gone up. A couple of months ago, I purchased a Danelectro Billionaire store display pedalboard with five pedals for $175...three OD/boosts, a tremolo, and a spinner...I thought $35 a pedal (and they were brand new, still in the original shipping container) was pretty good.

Fendarr likes this.
  8. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

722BE2C3-152A-48A4-8311-08881A171B0C.jpeg

1998 Froggy Bottom Parlor in excellent condition for $3300.

I was about to buy a Taylor 812C and saw this on the floor instead. It was just put out by the store that morning.

Owning and playing a Froggy Bottom guitar is a 20-year dream come true for me.

Recce, JL_LI, Torren61 and 2 others like this.
  9. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

I don't know maybe my ES335, I got this one a couple of years ago in the CME blowout, I got it for aprox. $1,500 which is a lot of money but not the $3k they are asking now for a new 335.

Also my CVC was like $200 and years ago I purchased a complete Pearl drumset for $400

And I got a DOD wah for $5 bucks in a flea market.

modavis99, Torren61 and Fendarr like this.
  10. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Back before the resellers and collectors found out about the Goodwill auction site I made several killings. Today you can expect to pay market value. Lots of crap beginners guitars but every so often a gem pops up. Two Burns Split Sound Jazz models, one badged Baldwin and the other Ampeg for just under $450. Although the Ampeg had an easy fix broken headstock the Baldwin is in very good condition considering its age. Another Cort MGM-1 for $160ish in mint unplayed condition, literally not a scratch on it. Too many vintage Japanese electrics to list at garage sale prices.

IMG_0236.JPG

11. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Warmoth Telecaster, 1/4" quilted maple over alder, rosewood neck with ebony fingerboard, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickups. Gold-plated hardware. Hardshell case.

Was on my way out of a local pawn shop and spotted the guitar on a high shelf behind some miscellaneous crap.

There were no clear marks to delineate make or model, so they had no idea what to ask for it or what to do with it. Offered it to me for $200. That was 1988. Red guitar in center of profile pic.

Mincer, Torren61 and Fendarr like this.
  12. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

My favorite amp is my blackface Vibro Champ. Sounds great and is in pristine condition. I bought for next to nothing in the mid 90s when bigger was better.

tubedood and Fendarr like this.
  13. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Holy smokes, that's cool.

tah1962 and Fendarr like this.
  14. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

'61 Fender Bassman head and the matching 2x12 closed back cabinet for $50 at estate sale. Wasn't working.
    Gas to Austin and $125 for new caps, tubes and a power cord and I can't make it break up and stand to be in the same room in my house with it.

15. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

Purchased recently on Reverb. Gibson L1 Robert Johnson. Condition was described as good. $1200. When it arrived it was mint...perfect set up. Case was mint.

Obsessed, Torren61, Wound_Up and 3 others like this.
  16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I got an '82 LP Standard with OSHC 2 years ago, $1300. At the time you couldn't touch one for under $2700.

[​IMG]

- D

Torren61, Wound_Up, NewKid and 4 others like this.
  17. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

Best deal I ever got was a 1985 Custom Shop Les Paul for $1,300. It’s the nicest Les Paul I’ve ever played, sounds really nice too. I only have a couple of “keepers” and that’s one of them. Helps make up for all the bad deals I’ve done. :D

18. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I was meeting a seller that had an MIJ Fender Jaguar 7-8 years ago. She wanted $200 so I was GOING to buy it, but I was giving it the once over anyway. She reached back into her car and pulled out an MIM Tele and said "both for $200". Nearly broke my wrist reaching for my wallet so fast. Some dude must have really pissed her off. Way back in 2002 when I first started I got a 79 LP Custom with OHSC for $400. Sold it to GC a week later for $1200.

Wildcard_35, Torren61, NewKid and 3 others like this.
  19. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

I don't recall how many years ago, (more than 5), I bought a Mesa TA-15 at a Ma&Pa store in a small town for $450.00 Canadian, taxes in.
    They were going for $899.00 new, before tax, at the time.

It's my main amp, still have it and probably always will. Cheers, RM

Torren61 and Fendarr like this.
  20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Both in the 80’s. 63’ clay dot strat and a 57’ blonde tele. Each for about $600 worth of PA gear. I worked at a music store and got ‘first dibs’ on trade ins.

Wildcard_35, Torren61 and elihu like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.