What are some of the best deals you’ve gotten on a piece of music gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fendarr, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Fendarr

Fendarr Tele-Meister

For example... I bought a Roland Blues Cube Artist in mint condition off of Reverb about a year and a half ago for only $475 shipped (which was a good deal all by itself). After I opened it up and plugged it and strarted to play, I noticed a green glow in the reflection off the window. It turns out the person that sold it to the shop I bought it from never told them there was an Ultimate Blues Tone Capsule inserted in the back. I was happy.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  2. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

Brand new Voc AC15C1 (w/ Greenback) in my local shop. It had hangtags and all. Apparently the owner bought it for 48 hours and returned it seemingly unplayed. I guess he was a boutique collector and already had a hand-wired version. I paid $475 for it ~5 years ago.

Torren61 and Fendarr like this.
  3. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

I also scored a 2015 ES-335 off Facebook marketplace for $900. It was mint. I traded it though.

4. Fendarr

Fendarr Tele-Meister

That is a nice score!

5. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted

guitar marked down from 13,999.00

to how much ya got? I had 4000 and walked with it

om45.jpg

6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

~2000 - 80s MIJ Fender Pbass in horrible condition, $90 at an Austin pawn shop. Luthier later brought it to life. It's my only bass.
    2018 - SF Champ (friend gave it to me!). Fixed it. Play it almost everyday.
    2018 - 60s Multivox Combo Bass Amp, $50 at local vintage/pawn shop. Fixed it up, traded it for BJr III Tweed. Sold the BJr, bought a 2020 Epiphone Les Paul Special with the proceeds. :)
    2019 - 70 Fender MMB for $200. Fixed it. Play it everyday. Will probably keep it forever.
    2019 - Double Fuzz pedal, on sale ~40. It broke first day I had it. Got refund from SA, and they told me to just keep it. I fixed it, sold it.

I am now ALWAYS on the lookout for old broken amps and pedals. :cool:

Fendarr likes this.
  7. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Believe it or not many years ago I saw a black tuck and roll Kustom 200 at a pawn shop. The guy told me it worked but "buzzed". At the time these were legit amps. I bought at $200. Opened the back-2 15" EV SRO speakers. Unbolted and hanging loose. I snugged them up and the amp sounded great. Sold for $500.

Torren61, stormsedge and Fendarr like this.
  8. Johnfrmcal

Johnfrmcal TDPRI Member

I think the American Special I just got for $475 wasn't too bad.

American Special.jpg

9. Fendarr

Fendarr Tele-Meister

Nice!

10. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Screenshot_20200213_082520.jpg Yesterday I bought a second hand MIM Fender jazz bass for my son for his 15th birthday in a couple of weeks. Condition would be a 9.5, and it came in a Gator style hard case. AU$500 (US$336 atm) Maybe not the bargain of the century, but a damn good guitar at a very good price.

11. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

1) Joyo American Sound pedal, in the original metal housing, for...$30, maybe? It's keeping me from spending money I don't have on an actual Tweed amp, and it does scooped well, too.

2) Some kid had modified an Epi Les Paul to Neil Young wiring, added the Bigsby, Firebird pickup, etc. Very accurately done. Freakin' fantastic guitar, for much more than just Neil sounds. Maybe...$375?

3) Two Tradition S-types. A basic S-type, with the three single coils, 5-way switch, etc. Plays and sounds as sweetly as many high-end Strats I've tried. $200, with a Crate modeling amp throw-in that was a good-enough practice amp until I got (much) better ones. Second Tradition S-type is the SP-1, as per this link:
    https://reverb.com/item/3548748-tradition-sp1-red-burst-electric-guitar
    $300, I think. Needs a new jack, but fantastic guitar, period, and especially for the money. Just rings and sings, and I love its Wilkinson trem.

4) J Mascis Jazzmaster. $400, I think. Worth every penny. Plays and sounds as great as it is UGLY.

5) Epi Les Paul Special I, with the P90's, in the TV yellow. $120, I think. Needs better tuners and a better nut. But dayam, pure spanky fun.

6) Ibanez TSA 15H. A 15watt head. $200, I think. Beautiful cleans, dead quiet, quick friends with all pedals.

Wildcard_35 and Fendarr like this.
  12. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

I bought my 2017 CS limited edition esquire as a used instrument, and with a price 40% down from new. When I opened the case it was obvious it had not been used, and it was not even registered already at Fender CS (so I got the full CS warranty as the first owner).
    I’m sure there are better deals, but for me it was the best bang for the buck I had ever experienced.

Torren61, ale.istotle and Fendarr like this.
  13. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Have been given 2 guitars and inherited a 3rd. But besides that, I got a set of YSM1 studio monitors in mint condition for $100 CAD and my current gigging head (H&K Tubemeister 18) in mint condition for $299 CAD (225 USD)

Torren61, tah1962 and Fendarr like this.
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My first great score was a clean, original 1963 Epiphone (Gibson-era) Texan for a BF Princeton and $75, in 1975.
    My next was a no-foolin 55 gold top in great shape for
    $500, in 1980.
    My last was my beloved James Goodall RCJC, for $2,500, about 12 years ago.
    I think I’ve used up my good gear luck!

Torren61, NewKid and Fendarr like this.
  15. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

Picked up a Dean Avalanche Strat copy for $10 on CL. Dropped a couple secondhand Duncan pickups in it, cut a new pickguard, installed a TUSQ nut, leveled the frets, and with strings I'm in it under $90. It was my main guitar for several years, now that I have an '06 SG Special it's my beater. My SG was a good deal: $200 + 4 pro-level setups from one of my buddies. The setups cost me nothing but my own time.

Mincer, Fendarr and Wound_Up like this.
  16. Wound_Up

Wound_Up TDPRI Member

Don't know if this applies, but I'll add it anyway.

Just picked up a D'addario Varigrip Hand Excerciser from D'addario for free with my Player's Circle points.

Being a new guy and just learning to play, my pinky isn't all that strong, yet, so I figured I'd give it a try after reading so many good reviews. With it having adjustable tension for each finger, it seems to be a pretty decent little tool.

Anybody got one? Opinions?

gregulator450 and Fendarr like this.
  17. Fendarr

Fendarr Tele-Meister

O
    I’d say! Hope you hung on to that gold top.

gregulator450 and brookdalebill like this.
  18. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Best two deals I can remember:
    • Ampeg BA115-T bass amp in mint condition for $160.00
    • A pair of the older Eminence 12” Red Fang Alnico speakers in mint condition for $150.00

Torren61, mkdaws32 and Fendarr like this.
  19. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Original white face ProCo RAT - $10 bucks at a yard sale.

Roland JC-55 amp. - $25 dollars from this crazy old Ukrainian guy I used to work with.

I also bought a cherry red 1965 SG Jr. and a matching Gibson GA5-T amp for $700 back in 1990...

But purchasing something for what it was worth at the time isn't really a "deal".

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Of course not!
    You think I’m smart, or something?
    I have many great instruments, but none of the dozens of vintage guitars I owned in my youth.
    Boo hoo.
    Not really.
    I’m a player, not a businessman.

Fendarr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.