1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What are some Noiseless bridge pickup options that are not just twang?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by don, Sep 20, 2020.

1. don

don Tele-Meister

Something not in your traditional tele twang camp - a little more rock, roots rock etc. Prefer the traditional tele look rather than split rail. Also thinking of using in a Bullet tele so the stacked humbuckers like the Duncan BG1400 might be too deep for the pickup cavity. I have been looking at the Mojotone Broadcaster Quiet coil - the tone chart looks good and its wound hot but the sound clips seem pretty typical tele. I wish the people making these review videos would play some rhythm chops instead of just showing off their licks!

2. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

Wilde has some options https://www.wildepickups.com/products/noisefree-tele-lead

I haven't tried those but I've read some think they are a refinement on the SCN noiseless Bill Lawrence designed for Fender. All my other pickups from them have been non-traditionally high fidelity, loud and clear to various degrees.

don likes this.
  3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Fender Gen 4 Noiseless Telecaster Pickup Set

Fender Vintage Noiseless™ Tele® Pickup Set

Tonerider TRT2 Hot Classics Telecaster Pickup Set

Fender Custom Shop Texas Special Telecaster Pickup Set

Dimarzio Vintage Twang King Pre-Wired Pickup Set

Greggorios and don like this.
  4. don

don Tele-Meister

@FenderGuy53 some of those pickups you mentioned are not noiseless - I should have mentioned that I am not a fan of Fender noiseless pickups.

5. don

don Tele-Meister

@dlaroe the Wilde pickups are stacked coil - probably too tall for my Bullet pickup cavity

6. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

A lace sensor blue might be nice.

dlaroe likes this.
  7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have N4 noiseless pickups in my avatar Telecaster. I love them. I also like a richer rather than a thinner twangy sound but I found a BOSS EQ-200 equalizer can give me all the twang I need. Installing them wasn't easy. N4 pickups are stacked single coils and as such are deeper than typical Telecaster pickups. Two things I had to do in my MIM were to mark where the adjustment screws touched the bottom of the pickup cavity and drill 1/4" (6mm) holes to get the adjustment I needed. I also had to route the wires around rather than under the lower coil. I used gaffers tape to keep things tidy. Also, the S1 switch is more trouble than it's worth. You'll have to hog out the control cavity if you want to use one and installing a 4 way switch is so much easier. I'm not advocating for N4 pickups or anything else. I'm hoping hearing from someone who's installed a set helps you, whatever you choose.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like Kinman’s best.
    I don’t have them in a Tele, yet.
    My Strat and bass have em’.

Greggorios and don like this.
  9. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Expensive: Zexcoil
    Affordable: DiMarzio fast track or Chopper
    Super-affordable: BL

10. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

I was thinking the same thing.

The bridge only comes in "twang" or "hot" but the Lace Red Sensor is thin at 18mm and they recommend mounting only 2mm from the low E. That's shallow.

don and Cali Dude like this.
  11. don

don Tele-Meister

Any comments on the Mojotone Broadcaster Quiet Coils - would love to hear from someone that owns them!

12. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

I have a Bullet Tele body kicking around. The bridge pickup rout is about 7/8" deep, so you won't have any trouble with stacked coils.

I've had the Bill Lawrence/Wilde L298TL in a few guitar and I love it. Nice, mean sounding pickup without totally losing Tele character. This design doesn't play so well with magnetic bridges, though.

On the higher end, there's the Fralin Split Steel Poled. That pickup rips like a P-90, but quiet. It didn't last for me because it wasn't Tele enough, so it may do the trick for you.

don and dlaroe like this.
  13. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a set of the Mojotone Quiet Coil broadcaster pickups (you need to use 500K pots with them). They sound pretty much like singlecoil broadcaster/nocaster type pickups. If that's what you want they're fine. I personally like the sound and behavior of Kinman (broadcaster or tele-blaster) pickups over the Mojotones, the Kinmans are a little louder and juicier sounding (the tele-blaster more than the broadcaster). I also personally like the Barden modern T-pickup, but it is a dual-blade look, so it may not work for the OP.

don likes this.
  14. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I personally probably wouldn't go noiseless. I would probably go vintage, I put fender vintage pickups in my tele, and its practically silent when I'm not playing it. It sat all day plugged in under powerlines at a gig, and it was dead silent.

don likes this.
  15. don

don Tele-Meister

@Wayne Alexander - good info on the mojotone broadcasters.
    @garrett - thanks for measuring that - that Fralin Split Steel Pole might be a good candidate1

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  16. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

If you use coaxial/shielded wiring throughout the guitar and line the cavities and back side of entire pickguard with thick aluminum HVAC tape, it will kill 80% to 100% of the noise in your guitar(including 60 cycle hum).

Only cost you about 10 bucks for the wire and tape.

I think the Kinman Noiseless pickups are the best ones, also probably the most expensive.

17. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I have the Fender Noiseless on my Nashville Deluxe and my recent purchase, Ultra Strat. Sounds good to me. That "twang" thing tho. Cept for the bridge pup, seems my finger is what determines a "twang". Sorry, I ain't into country. Some rate a tele as a CW guitar. Never hear that when I play mine.
    And speaking of such. Did I commit an atrosity last night when I picked up my Tele to play "Hendrix"? Had the strat sitting right there. I wanted to play thru the Tele! :eek: :eek: :p

don and 440mhz like this.
  18. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

True, and I also named neck/bridge sets, not 'bridge only' p'ups. I mentioned the Noiseless sets because guys who play mostly clean like them; that said, the other sets may not be noiseless, but if you like driven tones, they're not too shabby. ;)

don likes this.
  19. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

you have some good pickup winders in the US BL, Bootstrap, Cavalier, and the last ones can tweak for you to what you want.
    BL are not that high, if you put them next to a cheap single coil with the ceramic magnet bar beneath them, then i think you have the same height, but maybe someone else has some measurement facts

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.