what are some good master volume amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Alex W, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I am lucky enough to own several nice amps, but none of them has a master volume. I have this not exactly rational prejudice against master volume amps, as if they sacrifice tone for the convenience of a master volume knob. Yet I'm always thinking of how could I get the volume lower on my amps, looking at attenuators, etc. Maybe I need to get over my prejudice against master volume amps and take a look at some. I don't know of any other than the Dr. Prescription Jr, which is attractive but pricey.

Can anyone recommend some good ones?

2. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

maz 18 or 38 but still pricey

3. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

Hughes and Kettner Dual Statesman - this amp sounds incredible when opened up, at lower volumes its ok too but not as good. I know most amps are like this but this amp is VERY pronounced in the tone difference at lower volumes.

Egnater Rebel 30 - great and diverse amp. Head sounds great paired up with a V30 celestion imo.

j5

4. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I've been playing Mesa Express 5:50 for over a year in pop/blues/rock bands and I'm completely satisfied. It is two channels with four levels of gain.

The clean is a good as any. Reverb is not classic Fender surf but very good.
    Blues gain is where I spend most of my time. Nice ringing blues to jangly crunch.
    Crunch gain is classic rock goodness in the Mesa flavor, it's not Marshall.
    Burn gain I don't use but it is musical.

It is 50w/5w switchable but there is not a huge difference in volume. It does break up sooner but you're still gonna wake the baby if you're going for good overdrive at 10pm.

5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Fender"s Deville line is great. I have the 4x10 model. and with some subtle tweeking I can get any degree of distortion along with some great cleans.

6. Batman

Batman Tele-Holic

If you already have amps you like then I think you should stick with the attenuator idea.

7. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

HAve any of you ever ran an attenuator with an amp that has a MV? Was there a lot of difference in the sound between damping after the power tubes (attenuator) and before (Mastr Volume?)

8. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Swart AST Master, Mesa LSS

9. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

I don't think it get's much better than Allen Amplification for master volume.

The Encore is one I really want.

10. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

'73 Fender Twin Reverb. yessir.

11. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

Winfield Cyclone. Great amp, great value.

12. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

The Kustom '36 & '72 Coupe, have a Master Volume on the clean and the overdrive channel. The Master Volume changes the signal at four different points, in the circuit. This allows me to set the level of breakup, at almost any volume. I believe the new Defender V30, V50 & V100, work the same way.

13. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I generally don't like MV amps and have better luck with pedals, but I love the Prosonic. Lots of great tones in there.

14. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Tele-Meister

I've played on Mesa Boogies Lonestar, Express 5:50 and currently own the Mark V and they all have excellent master volumes. The second channel of my Fender Supersonic 22 also has an excellent master volume.

15. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

I think your prejudice against MV designs is fairly rational. (NOT saying they don't sound good in the right application...but why oh why drag around the trannies, speakers, cabinet and power supply necessary to feed a 100W design, only to use 10-15% of that capacity?)

Its like showing up with a Mac Truck to move a loaf of bread.

If you love the way your big amp sounds when opened up on "all 10", but functionally need "quieter" when at full tilt (for overall "whole circuit" distortion) then get a smaller amp, less powerful amp. The market is FULL of great designs, from boutique to common vintage stuff. Take it from me...your back will thank you. :)

I use a Silvertone 1333 - a lot. 2x6V6 at +265 on the plates with one small magnet 12. About 14 watts of screaming tonal fury when at "ALL 10"...but not particularly loud as compared to a Twin Reverb at 10.

:)

16. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Actually all my amps are fairly small and low wattage. I am not considering 50 or 100 watt amps. But something like an 18 watt clone with master volume is appealing.

17. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

??? I've owned a Fender BluesJr. and currently play an Orange Tiny Terror, both 15w and considered light. Oh, and both MV.

18. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Ahh...I see.

I mistakenly though we were talking about BIG MV amps, like mid 70's SF Fender Twins, Vibrosonics, etc., or big Marshalls, Sunns, Mesa Boogies, etc.

Those monster amps with MV's just never made much sense to me. That's all I meant by my comment.

Sorry, my bad.

19. zoppotrump

zoppotrump Tele-Afflicted

dr. z maz 18 jr. !!!!

20. onlybrowning

onlybrowning Tele-Meister

True dat.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.