What are some good high-wattage 10" speakers for guitar?

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
I think I'm gonna get a 10" cab for my college rig and I need a good speaker to handle any amps I'd use either for low volume bedroom stuff or for anything up to a cranked head, so maybe a speaker that can handle 100W of power, and be good for either guitar or bass.

I ideally want a guitar-focused speaker, but I'm not sure if playing bass through one of those would be an issue.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the 0-75 price range? It's a bit of a specific ask, but I'm just curious as to what yall would do. I'm looking at some Blue Marvels or perhaps just getting a super high wattage and efficiency bass speaker and leaving it at that.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
First, I think you really need to let go of the idea of combining bass and guitar in one amp. It just isn't worth it IMO. If it's just for practicing bass through, I would just look for a used bass practice amp. Even something like an old Peavey Micro Bass or an Ampeg Ba-110 or something similar will have a better voicing for bass than a guitar amp, and you won't have to worry about blowing your speaker. You can find either of those used for $50-75.

As for 100W 10" speakers, AFAIK you have a couple options in the Jensen Jet series. Not for $75, though. 12" gives you many more options. Either way, you're going to have a hard time meeting your criteria. What amp are you primarily hoping to use this with? Your best bet IMO is to just find a speaker in your price range that'll work with what you got now cross the other bridges later.

Last edited:

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Actually the supro bd10 is a 90 watter. Good guitar speaker.

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard good things about the Eminence Delta Pro 12" with both guitar and bass, I'm actually considering the 10A Delta Pro, which is right in my price range. Anyone got any experience with that?

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard good things about the Eminence Delta Pro 12" with both guitar and bass, I'm actually considering the 10A Delta Pro, which is right in my price range. Anyone got any experience with that?

If you're looking at pro audio speakers, this one may be worth a look as well. It'll save you a lot of weight over that Delta Pro, and it even says it'll work for guitar and bass. Haven't used this particular speaker, but IME one thing I can say about Eminence is that all their stuff is built to no-nonsense, pro-level specs, so it'll hold up.

Blue Bill

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Hmmm... The Eminence Delta 10s I see listed are more like $150, MSRP is $180.

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
Yeah, like I said before, I doubt there's a $75 solution to this problem unless the OP really lucks out on the used market. Sometimes you gotta pay to play.
Used market is where I'm getting them. Found a couple on my Craigslist for 65 each.

I actually already have a Fender Rumble 25 that I use as a pedal platform, but I really want a head->cab thing, as I already have a Selmer Treble n' Bass for a bass amp and an Ampeg R12R for a guitar amp and I can't plug the output to the input of the rumble.

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's
If you can find one the 1980s Celestion Sidewinder (150W @ 103dB), is the loudest speaker Celestion made. I installed one in my DSL5CR and it turned an 'ok' amp into a little monster-big volume increase and smoother, fatter tones than the stock Ten-30.