1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What are some good examples of the Dyna Comp being utilized in recorded music? Any and all genres..

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ForgeHound, Jan 26, 2021.

1. ForgeHound

ForgeHound TDPRI Member

I hear all about how this pedal was a standard for so long and how all sorts used it, but I can't really seem to scope out much info on the great examples of this in music--at least it's perhaps not as well documented as similarly popular drive pedals and the like?

I know websites like Equipboard will list the guitarists that use a pedal, but that's really just a list of guitarists that have been spotted with it on their pedalboard, not necessarily guitarists known for heavily utilizing it

I've heard Jerry Reed, Andy Summers.. a couple others I cant recall

Any and all examples would be cool, especially 70s, 80s country and soul/rnb -- but honestly I like everything

2. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Studio compressors tend to do a better job than a Dyna-Comp, so I wouldn’t expect this list to be very big.

That Cal Webway and scook like this.
  3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

David Gilmour has been using compressor pedals since early 1977, during the Animals tour. His first unit was a mid 70s MXR (scrip logo) DynaComp.

4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Every single country guitarist in the 70s and 80s.

drmordo, Jakedog, Mike M and 3 others like this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

These may need verification, but I thought part of the " Sultans of Swing" sound is a Dyna-Comp? ( apologies if I got this wrong)

Also, I think Lowell George of Little Feat used 2 Dyna-Comps together

'70's Country and R&B session ace Reggie Young ( " Son of a Preacher Man," "Drift Away" and early John Prine records fame) used one.

6. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bunches country songs back in the day prolly.

I think great studio guitars Reggie Young used one back in the day.

7. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’m with Tim on this, hard to say what was used in the studio on a lot of tracks. Makes more sense that the compression wasn’t from a pedal although I’m sure there are exceptions.

I would look for and listen to live tracks. As stated above, Lowell George ran 2 at a time. I’d say most country guitarists from that time period used it live, or at least a similar Ross/Dyna type.

I believe in the Steely Dan camp it was Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer. I’ve heard Sultans was Orange Squeezer and not Ross/Dyna but I’m not 100% on that.

8. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

It's a live venue type pedal for the most part as others pointed out. In previous times i.e. prior to 2000, an LA3A or 1176 would be used, further back maybe an Altec. Today an 1176, Distressor or LA3A would likely be used on the guitar when studio recording. There are some recordings out there where it was used on country music starting in the early 80s i.e. Waylon Jennings, Eddie Rabbit or Ricky Skaggs country pop music, maybe Dunn & Brooks because that's about the time the pedal came out. Guitar players were experimenting with it. In my own recording adventures, a good 1176 or LA3A maybe a Distressor on a good day, would be my weapon of choice for sustain with clarity.

There are no rules on this type of thing except when somebody gets a really great sound, that most everyone wants to emulate.

9. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Trey Anastasio (Phish) used a Ross compressor pedal on his live rig for years, then got rid of it. His fans pitched in and bought him another vintage Ross. Not sure what he uses in the studio. FWIW the MXR DynaComp and the Ross are quite similar.

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

They are quite noisy in use, one wonders how often they were used in the studio. Great compressors other than that though.

11. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I read in a Premier Guitar rig rundown that Sonny Landreth used one, placed after his drive pedals, to prevent volume loss when switching back to his clean sound. I've never tried it but it sounds like a cool app.

12. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

I think that is was the Dan Amstrong Orange squeezer instead.
    Or a studio unit, these guys did not use pedals much on records.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Got it I think you're right about the Dan Armstrong one I got mixed up

NWinther likes this.
  14. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Reggie Young used a DynaComp on almost everything!
    Reggie Young is one of the most recorded guitar players in history.

Find a discography, and you shall find your answer ;)... but keep in mind several years of his discography preceded the dyna comps existence (which started in 1972).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  15. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

John Frusciante, I believe.

Andy Summers too.

16. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I know Frusciante likes studio compression, and the Dyna Comp could certainly be used to cop some of that for guitar. Not sure he uses the pedal (or any other pedal compressor) himself, though.

17. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Lowell George used a pair of 1176 studio compressors. The Origin Effects SlideRig pedal is basically a dumbed-down version of this rig. It works great -- if you want to sound like Lowell George. I use the Cali76 Compact on my board & love the thing.

18. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

To narrow down your Andy Summers listening, I’d say the 2nd & 3rd albums, Regatta De Blanc and Zenyatta Mondatta. I’m thinking songs like Walking On The Moon and Driven To Tears. Dyna Comp, Electric Mistress, and Echoplex.

AngelStrummer likes this.
  19. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Edge.JPG

rze99 likes this.
  20. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.