1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What are pedals going for these days?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by mistermullens, Dec 16, 2014.

1. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

So, I'm making some changes/upgrades to a few pedals I own. They're happening due to a change in amp, and so I can keep my pedalboard footprint small. I don't use a lot of pedals to begin with, but I'm having to add three to my board.

My typical pedal chain is Korg Pitchblack Tuner>CryBaby>MI Audio Blues Pro>LPB-1. I'm having to add a Reverb pedal (I currently have the Boss 63 Reverb) and Tremolo. Here's what's gotta change

Korg PitchBlack>TC PolyTune Mini (also open to suggestions, size important)
    Boss '63 Reverb>TC HOF Reverb Mini (also open to suggestions, size important)
    BBE Boosta Grande>This one is getting sold, just not sure what they're going for. It's the big orange one with bull (I think) on front.
    Boss Loop Station RC-2>Pretty sure this one will get replaced with the JamMan Solo XT
    Tremolo>I need to get a Tremolo pedal. Something small/mini would be great

Everything in BOLD is getting sold to help fund this, and I'm also going to start running a second amp in stereo for shows. Need some advice. Thanks!

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

BBE Boosta Grande- You can find these for 50 bucks new. I know because I've had my eye on that one for awhile.

I couldn't tell you. as far as the rest of them

3. teleaboutit

teleaboutit Tele-Meister

I can't advise on all your choices, but here's a couple $0.02.
    The Polytune Mini is decent, but not the best for accuracy. There's a noticeable lag in how long it takes to read your signal, especially compared to the Boss tuners, and the accuracy isn't amazing. You could probably get a Boss Tuner for the same or cheaper as a Polytune mini.
    For Tremolo, unless you have really specialized needs, get a used Boss TR-2. Basically, unless you need a completely accurate tap-tempo tremolo, the TR-2 will do the job. You should be able to find one used for $50-$75.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh, you were asking what to get to replace your stuff with, not what you should ask for your current stuff?

For a tuner, get a GFS pedal tuner, 50 bucks tops
    For a trem get a danelectro tuna melt, about 30 bucks
    For a boost get the Donner Boost Killer 30 bucks

5. mistermullens

I used a PolyTune last night and noticed that as well. Wasn't as good as my PitchBlack. Cost is certainly a factor here, so I may have to sacrifice some space in the cost department.

I don't need tap-tempo Trem, so maybe the TR-2 will suffice. Still, any pedals I can get in "mini" while not breaking the bank will be helpful.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

If you search sold listings for each of them on Ebay that will give you pretty good idea of the ranges they've sold for in that market place. It may help you to price yours more accurately.

I think at lot depends on their condition and popularity of the pedal but IME 60% of what they sell for new is about the top of the market for most pedals and it's declines from there.

7. teleaboutit

teleaboutit Tele-Meister

TC's new "minis" seem alright to me- my bandmate's using the new HOF reverb. You get a lot of pre-dialled in options with the HOF, but I get the feeling that it's got some flashy fun options that you won't realistically end up using. Have you looked at the EHX "Holy Grail" or "Cathedral", which are reasonably priced and have a lot of fans?
    I see the Boss RC-2 going for between $100 (definitely priced to sell) and $150 (a bit high IMO). Another thing to consider: Boss's pedals actually have pretty decent built-in buffers. If you switch to an all-true-bypass board, you might notice a significant loss in high end and signal level rather than the hi-fidelity guitar-straight-into amp tone I like to imagine when I hear the words "true bypass".

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here are two mini tremolos under $100 -- The Mooer trelicopter and the Malekko omicron tremolo.

9. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

I agree with the 60% idea. That has been my ebay philosophy for years, to stop at 60% of the active Musician's Friend/American Musical Supply/Guitar Center/Sam Ash prices. If I can get for less, obviously that's preferable.

10. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

I just spent another $30 for another Deltalab DGFX-1. That makes three. Two new ones and an old one for back up, since I need two to play. You can hardly find a pedal for $30 these days. Each of mine can do more than what a dozen separate pedals can. I might go for a Boss or Digitech someday for variation, but I'll never buy another single use pedal.

11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know why a mini should be anything other than "thrift priced."

Other than the marketing of the smallest footprint possible, the minis typically have to make concessions with component choices for the sake of cramming it in the tiny little box. It's not to say that they sound bad, but you won't get a Rat mini w/a LM308N chip in it - it's going to have to be a SMT-based chip, unless it's okay that a single component takes up 10% of the interior board space!

Minis also typically have the knobs jammed in close proximity to each other, really out of necessity. Crammed knobs never bothered me with stuff like the Dano minis, but at the asking price it would be ridiculous to balk, IMO.

I know the minis that are being discussed now are not really the same as the Dano minis, but I think it's still a sort of fair comparison. IMO, the more important point has to do with longevity, serviceability, and so on. For anyone who's ever taken a Dano mini apart - let alone tried to do tweaks to the PCB and then get it back together again - it's quickly realized that you're only going to have good sounds as long as the thing functions! :eek:

But IMO, a mini version of something else should certainly not cost more than a "regular sized" version. IMO, it's just further along the lines of disposable electronics in many (but not all) cases.

12. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

im happy with both my pitchblack poly, and pitchblack plus.
    the only mini pedal i have is donner boost killer. i paid 28.00 for it.
    i feel like the pedal is gonna flip over when i step on it.. im not much of a mini fan i guess. even tho the next pedal i want only comes in a mini.. thats the mooer slow engine. very cool pedal, but its a mini o well.. i can live.
    chris.

13. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

IMO, that's just one more reason why they shouldn't exceed __% of the cost of a normal sized pedal. The dimensions are too small to get a decent sized piece of velcro underneath one, so (IME) the minis don't stay put so well.

14. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i agree with you. but they are trendy and the mooer brand sure is bringing top $$.. o well. i guess time will tell how well these will hold up.. will there be a bunch of broken ones on ebay in a few years.. I dunno. but i bet it would be a pain to try and fix one of these.

chris.

15. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

I think the Danelectro Tuna Melt sounds fantastic.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+2

I'm a major pedal eBay scrounger and this is about right for both buying and selling. I have patience and usually successful in lowballing for much less. :twisted:

I'm with 11 Gauge, these cheap mini pedals are starting to fail now and by the time you locate them on a board with enough room to stomp on the switch, you might as well have a standard size. Plus, I can't see how they can possibly be stable enough with velcro, but I use the chain link method for hard mounting all of mine.

17. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

The main problem with mini-size pedals is the lack of mini-size feet to stomp on them... Unless you need to turn three pedals on simultaneously LOL.

18. mistermullens

Let me throw something else into the mix. Any thoughts on a multi-effects unit as an alternative? It certainly would help with the cost. I use reverb ALL the time. Always on as they say. I need to be able to run reverb plus one maybe two more effects if necessary. I use Tremolo mostly for any modulation, but not a lot, maybe 5 or so songs. The extras like Tape Echo and Vibe will be nice to have and an added bonus. These units also usually have a tuner built in, correct?

I'm a Vox fan, and their StompLab looks interesting, but I understand Line6 makes a good one as well.

19. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

I love mini pedals. The small board that I use live most Friday nights has five Mooers side by side, and I have no stomping issues. I'd agree that minis aren't very stable with Velcro - which is why I use 3M Dual Lock on the 1590A enclosures. They're plenty stable with Dual Lock. Anyway, minis have been real problem solvers for me.

20. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

A bit more expensive but the Strymon Flint give you tremolo and reverb in a small footprint.
    It's the pedal I miss the most since I sold.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.