1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What are my options for a modern versatile tele? Thinking HH with switching options?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rich2k4, Apr 29, 2019.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

I'd like to see what options are out there for a swiss army knife T style guitar. Doesn't necessarily have to be fender.

I don't really like vintage style specs, and I prefer higher output pickups. I am thinking HH configuration with maybe some type of 4-5 way switch with different coil combinations?

Would be nice to have stainless steel frets if possible.

Looking to be able to do High gain and anything in between. Coil splits don't have to be perfect single coil representations.

Hopefully something somewhat reasonable in price. $1000-1500 new or used.

Deathray likes this.
  2. Dmac73

Dmac73 TDPRI Member

I have the Tidepool player series HH. It has the coil split. It’s a fine guitar imo

FenderGuy53, Deathray and PlainAllman like this.
  3. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Deathray likes this.
  4. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I own that exact guitar, in that exact color. It is the “do everything” guitar. Highly recommended.

Dmac73 likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Here's what I have:
    2010 Blacktop HH converted to Esquire. 16kohm humbucker split to separate bobbins on a 4-way switch. Pickup lowered and screw poles raised.
    Covers Tele Neck (with tone knob), Strat #2 Quack, Tele bridge single coil, LP hot humbucker. Chunky neck.

[​IMG]

Find a Triple Tele, that has three nocaster pickups on a Strat 5-way and add a stacked tone knob to get an Armstrong Blender mod. That way you get SSS to HSH or anywhere between. You can mod a Nashville Tele the same way, but these are more unique and a little cooler.

[​IMG]

DonM and Zepfan like this.
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

HH guitar with Seymour Duncan PRail/PRail+ and Triple Shot Rings. Get Parallel or series neck and bridge positions, single P90 tones either position, single rail pups or combos of singles in different positions parallel/series with added 4-way switch.

That should cover everything.

Mincer likes this.
  7. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

The Nighthawk is Gibson/Epiphone moving in a Tele direction. Mine had three pickups - Mini HB, strat single and HB - coil splitting (so about 20 configs I counted), tele style control layout, hardtail bridge, single cut, and designed for high gain.

Zepfan likes this.
  8. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

A 59 & a 59/Custom Hybrid, with a master coil cut switch for both pickups works great. I generally use an S1 switch, as it is elegant. You get a few very useful sounds, with no fiddly stuff you have to go through to get to the sounds you will actually use.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.