1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

what are attaching your bodies to when you spray?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by funkymann1, Jun 30, 2014.

1. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

need some ideas, ive been using a folding harbor freight table & clamping the body with a wood stick about 1 3/4 x 1/2...im bending down too much when i finish..also hard to see the results so far from my eyes…..i was thinking of making something like a square PVC pipe base & using a pvc T to come up into a stand about chest height.....maybe even making the end hole deep enough for my stick to just go in with no use of a clamp…Thoughts??
    What are you guys doing??? I saw that stew mac Vice thing but I don’t need to finish close to my work bench….

also are you guys laying your bodies flat like in my pick or sideways?...im afraid runs may be easier to happen if its sideways....

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      43.4 KB
      Views:
  2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I've been hanging my and yes runs are a problem.
    I was thinking of using a cake spinner with nails (similar to how fender use to do it) as supports. It only allows for one side at a time unless I can figure out away to create something attached to the table that I can crank in a circle so it's flat like you have it, but can be rotated.

3. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

just a section of wood say 1/1/2 x 3/4 screwed into the neck pocket and a hook FIRMLY screwed in the top to allgw it to hang.I also have an ersatz drying cabinet made from a skip find glass fronted cupboard about 3ftlong and 1.5 deep which will just take it all horizontally .i use a heavy iron vice on a block of wood to counterbalance the body while it dries but nails would work OK .A 100/60 watt bulb allows plenty of heat depending on time of year .Works fine .I use nitro rattle can sprays over poly bodies.

4. JimiRayKing

JimiRayKing Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I use this setup and it works great. I spray in my garage and mounted three 1 3/4 PVC pipes to the top of a portable workbench using zip ties. I mount a 1" PVC pipe onto the neck, insert into the larger tube, and rotate by hand while spraying. With this setup, I can spray 4 necks at a time - careful how I manage the rotation so I don't risk overspray - but I'm usually only doing 1-2 at a time. I allow the necks to dry 30-60 minutes after the final coat before hanging them from the PVC, which has a hole drilled in the end, in the basement rafters.

The trick here is to keep the headstock perfectly flat after spraying, which can be achieved with this setup if the headstock is positioned face down. I sometimes have to use tape where the tubes meet to keep the neck from rotating. This prevents runs - by the time I move a neck inside, it's dry to the touch.

I spray body the exact same way.

Attached Files:

5. leftyjay

leftyjay Tele-Meister

I use this for my bodies. I like to spray the bodies horizontally. as I paint, I rotate the body. it lets me spray a bit heavier. I rotate the body to stop sags or runs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I use something similar to the above posts and then hang the bodies attached to the sticks vertically to dry. Laying them out flat really helps avoid runs.

7. Skycries57

Skycries57 TDPRI Member

Here is my newbie paint booth I built for less than 75.00. Its built inside my 8x10 shop specifically for my guitar building.

I had the stewmac freehand viced on top of a 2x2x36" high bench w caster wheels I built but took too much room so i went to harbor freight and got the metal stand for 19.00, super solid and takes minimal room but just a tad too high.
    Im gonna replace my current vice and get a "flat drill press vice" to cut 5" off height, im only 5' 6" and having it almost waist level helps big time.

I recently added the lazy susan below the vice then screwed onto a 1x6x10 board onto to stand. 360 degrees at will. I plan on cutting about 8" from the stewmac handle side cause it hhits the walls a bit.

If I was to do it all over again, I would mount a 30" high 4x4 into a bucket full of rocks/concrete and mount the vice on top of lazysusan on 4x4. Stability,portability w/o taking much room.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  8. zipseattle

zipseattle Tele-Meister

Stewmac thingy clamped in a Workmate

9. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I have that little work station, I hate it. It woobles too much. Interesting take on a neck holder though.

I like this. I see something similar in my future.
    Is that the stand part of an ironing board? NICE!

Another one, I'm re-thinkinging my spray set up, looks like it's time to up grade.

10. leftyjay

leftyjay Tele-Meister

I am using a keyboard scissor stand. I added some weights to counter for the guitar. mounted the pipe onto a 1x12. mounted the whole fixture to the stand with U bolts. works perfectly. the weights are removable, so the stand is easy to move around.

11. Killin5

Killin5 Tele-Meister

I worked this out on the fly when I didn't like the clamp to the table approach I started with. Its just a board with a hole cut in it that is clamped into my vise. The dowel has a hook in the end so I can hang it when it is drying. Next time I'll make the dowel a bit longer so I have more access where it joins the body. OOOORRR I could just move the entire thing out into the middle of the room.

Side Holding.jpg

12. JimiRayKing

JimiRayKing Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Yeah, it's not the most stable workstation but the adjusters in the bottom take out the wobble for me. Plus, I can dismantle it for storage and put it back together in 2 minutes and 6 new zip ties. I like the other examples here but I wanted something I could spray multiple necks at a time and this seemed to fit the bill.

13. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

Really dumb question - but how do you attach the stew Mac holder to the guitar if you’ve already got the neck holes drilled? I guess I’m just going to have to drill 4 more holes into the neck cavity.

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I use any old paint stick I've got laying around...

clamp it flat on the bench corner to spray and it has a hook on the handle end to hang it

less dust when you hang it to dry....

I'll probably rig up a piece of pipe to spin them soon...

bsb clear coat1sm.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.