1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What amps are you guys using with your Squier Teles.....

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by FortyEight, Dec 3, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I see lots of youtube vids comparing like different level of Squiers and Fenders (and other brands like epiphone and gibson) and pickups and how they sound. Sometimes I feel like I can hear a big difference and other times maybe not so much.

I'm in the mode of trying to figure out what I want next. And I did ask a similar question in the recording forum so I apologize for kind of repeating myself but I figured some of you in here may not go in there much.

I have an Affinity Tele and the main amp I use is a Vox Cambridge 15 Korean Made V9159. I'm using it for recording. I do have a few others I've been using and experimenting with and I'm not super unhappy with the sounds. But I am trying to get something maybe a bit better soon here.

The main thing I like in guitar sounds are a nice and warm and creamy clean sound for chords. And I like a good sounding distortion. Mostly like medium gain like rock. Not metal. Although every once in a while I like that sound. The Cambridge does all those pretty well paired with my Affinity Tele BSB. But you know.... there's always room to improve. I'm guessing a tube amp would probably bring some warmer tones on all levels.

2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

For playing Soul à la Steve Cropper, Backyard Heavies, Meters... I choose my late 70s SF PR to pair with my Squier Telecaster CV50 2020 LH :

[​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln.

3. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Don't know if any of this will help but I use two amp heads through a mid nineties Celestion 12" in a separate cab. I use a Fender Superchamp X2 and Champ 40 I converted to a head. The X2 is tube driven and the 40 has some pretty warm sounding tube amp simulations.

They satisfy most of my needs and when they don't I have a Boss ME 25 that I use with either amp.

I can't say too much about the difference in tones compared to your Vox coz I don't really like Vox's and have no relative experience with them aside from feeling that they are very bright sounding amps and the Fenders will maybe sound a bit bigger.

I use a variety of Fender guitars, all single coil and really like my set up.

Good luck with your hunt

FortyEight likes this.
  4. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Ampeg V3 from early 80's.

FortyEight likes this.
  5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

6. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hotrod Deluxe is working pretty well for me. Also do yourself a favor and look into the Vox MV AC. Ridiculously good! Nutube will take over the world. It’s just so good!

FortyEight likes this.
  7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Predominantly an Ampmaker WF-55, a Madamp G3 Blues and a Jet City JCA20H. There's a lot of mileage to be had with fairly simple amps. The WF-55 is basically a Champ, the G3 is a tiddler based around old Soviet valves ( and sounds wonderful! ) and the JCA20H is a generic, simple ~15W-ish thing. All single channel. All have fantastic cleans and a lovely crunch to them when set up to respond to the guitar controls. I tend to set them so they're in crunchy territory when the guitar is wide open, then roll the guitar volume off.
    They all sound wonderful through either a 1x12" or 2x10"
    If you stay away from \m/ metal, there is a lot of mileage to be had from simple amps. Character pedals such as the Joyo American Sound, ACTone and British can come into play to alter the voice of a clean amp, and they're better than their price would suggest.

FortyEight likes this.
  8. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

1. SCX2
    2. Pro Jr IV
    3. Vox MV50 AC
    4. Marshall Studio 15

FortyEight likes this.
  9. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Thats what I use with a cab that used to be a frontman 212
    20201203_195139.jpg

Festofish and FortyEight like this.
  10. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Gotta remember that YouTube and your connection to it can heavily effect the tone. So don’t take YouTube tone as true...unfortunately.

FortyEight likes this.
  11. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I hear ya. I try to listen to headphones on the ones I really wanna hear the differences but I'm sure what the sound is in the actual room is different than what's coming through especially if their using crappy equipment. However, I think my point was that a really good amp MAY elevate the sound of cheaper pick ups.

It's sort of mind boggling the amount of choices there are in pups now a days. And the amount of differences in just one model, or TYPE of guitar. I mean how many types of tele pick ups are there even just among Squier and Fender guitars. And I don't mean between different types of pickups I mean between just the lipstick neck and the single coil bridge. It feels like every factory may do them differently and within the Squiers there are so many. Then there's the Mexicans and Americans who also have more than one choice for either. At least from what I can tell. Depending on the model and all that.

The combinations of differences in tones is mind blowing. Plus you add to that just the affect the guitar itself MIGHT have on the pickups. Which I know lots of people say doesn't but IMHO any change affects stuff. Every guitar I ever play feels and sounds different to me. Among the same models. I mean yeah, maybe it's the height of the pups or whatever but I think it's kind of neat how they're like people. No two the same. You might have similarities though. But it does sort of make you go, well it won't matter if I have my heart set on a certain model cuz of tone cuz it will likely sound different when you go play one at a store. LOL.

I don't know if the changes are as drastic with amps or not.

12. cenz

cenz Tele-Meister

Orange Crush 12. Not too loud, no onboard effects. Has an overdrive.

Plain old amplifier.

50hz, FortyEight and driver8 like this.
  13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I was using a Vox AC4C1-12 with my Squier Affinity telecaster. I installed GFS vintage-style overwound bridge pickup into it because the guitar/amp combo was really bright, and the bass string sounded a bit boomy. The replacement pickup solved both those problems.

FortyEight likes this.
  14. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

If by warmer you mean more mids, Bassbreaker all the way. They have a super warm clean sound, and they're practically made for medium gain rock. They really excel at those tones. If like many people saying "warm" you really mean more scooped because of that full, rich sound, Princeton reverb. I wouldn't go with Vox for warmth, tho, especially with a tele!

FortyEight likes this.
  15. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

Champ clone

FortyEight likes this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a lot of amps and amp-like devices. Right now, I'm using a Monoprice 5w tube amp into a Bugera Power Soak into a Hotone Binary IR Cab and then into whatever output(s) I want to use.

FortyEight likes this.
  17. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

SF Twin Reverb
    '64 Super Reverb
    Peavey Special 130

FortyEight likes this.
  18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't worry about how things sound on Youtube at all - if you're not happy with your amp, try and find a store that's open and go play some different ones. Even better, bring in your own guitar to the store.
    What you might find is that tube amps don't really sound "warmer" and they don't necessarily sound better, than Solid State or modeling amps. They definitely CAN sound great. But if you can't turn them up until they start to break up and naturally overdrive, even a little bit, you might as well get a Katana 100 or a Fender Mustang and save yourself a lot of money.

PS I play a '69 Super Reverb, Allen Accomplice Jr (like a Blackface Vibrolux) - both are tube amps. I also play through a Yamaha THR10c, a small digital amp, and sometimes I use Amplitube which is software that I play through my iPad. If I get another amp it will be a small Vox (Vox amps aren't bright, actually - Fender Blackface style amps are usually considered bright).

PaulNYC and FortyEight like this.
  19. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Ummm.. I’ve got a-

Fender Mustang 1 modeling amp- fun, loud or quiet has onboard effects-

Orange Micro Terror 20W hybrid into Egnater 12” cab- simple, plays well with pedals.

Four “mini” battery-eligible amps that sound better than you would think! Here is a shot of the Orange/Egnater, and the mini amps ;) The Vox AmPlug (Blues is the one I have) and the “extension” 2W 3” cab “micro stack” is VERY tasty :cool: 6201E318-8727-43C5-8C17-F3F64A1F1A0F.jpeg 80DE1B2B-8F56-4F6F-9C61-B8F371D1FB5D.jpeg

Oh! Have a Fender Rumble 40W bass amp that plays well with guitars!!!! Has onboard overdrive for crunchy goodness. Just push the “bright” option and you are guitar ready!!! With XLR out, and robust EQ bank, don’t know if anyone else using this with their guitars???

Call Me Al and FortyEight like this.
  20. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

@68Telebass I also have a 3rd gen rumble 40 that I just used on my last song for a few of the guitar tracks. And it's a heavier song. I used it with the gain half way up and it has like you describe "crunchy goodness". With some fuzziness that sounds pretty good. I don't love the clean sound. It sounds a bit.. dead and almost like the individual notes are too pronounced when strumming chords. It doesn't blend super well that way, IMHO.

As far as Vox's being too bright, I'm with you @tfarney. Mine isn't I don't think. But it's a solid state. It's got a pretty warm sound to it if you add the bass. Especially on high gain though. It is totally warm. Even with the 8" speaker.

I did a test between all the amps I have and I do think I came to the conclusion I'm really happy with the combo of my Vox as a head to one of the speakers in my laney cabinet. Which is an eminence speaker that was specifically made for this voice over company. I don't think it's even a guitar speaker but the magnets on it are huge and it has a nice warm sound to it.

I don't think I'm gonna be shopping for amps unless my vox takes a permanent dump. It gives me issues of crackling and popping sometime. I bought some contact cleaner for when it happens again to see if that will help. But even though I would prefer an amp with treble / middle / bass EQ (mine only has treble / bass) I think I'm gonna just stick with it for now. I've liked the sounds of it from the beginning and if it continues to work, what's the point? I wanted to have a back up and I do with the rumble 40 and even a laney head ( I just really don't like much of the sounds out of the laney yet, but maybe I have to have that one cranked too as you mention to have it sound good. It's a 100 watt tube head. LOL. I probably haven't scratched the surface of good tone with that head cuz I don't play too loud.

I think I'm gonna focus on another guitar. I like my Affinity Tele. It works and sounds decent. However, I wouldn't mind seeing what kind of sounds I can get from either a P90 equipped guitar or humbuckers. I wanna see if it will be much different. I really feel like a good Tele can cover most of the basses I want to cover. But I've got the itch to try something else. And my Squier Strat just isn't scratching it. I will probably sell or trade that. I plays decent though but I just don't love much of the sounds and I don't want to invest in a loaded pickguard with humbuckers and then still not like it. I thin I'm gonna try and find an SG. Or at least start playing them to see what I think. Some epiphones can be had for reasonable prices and I think that's where I'm leaning. Or some oddball thing.

Now if my vox takes a dump then I will buy another amp.

I will likely stick with Solid State but who knows...

As far as Fender amps go.... When I tried them back in the 90's the silver princeton old amps always sounded too.... annoying to me. Like too bitey. I did like one that was new with the red knobs. That one felt like it moved and had a nice blended sound and the distortion was wonderful. But I had a peavey classic 50 at the time and wasn't really needing another amp. It was not long after I bought the peavey though and I kind of wished I had done that particular Fender.

I think one could make a lifelong career out of understanding all of Fender's amps and how they sound. I keep coming across models I've never seen before. Like a lot. My music go round has one called a FM 212R and they were saying that one had a great clean sound. 2x12 combo. I think SS. I forget how much it was. But man, it feels like every time I turn around I'm seeing a new model of Fender amp on the used market. The blackfaces, silver faces (old type and new type and the ones with the red knobs like I said) bass breakers, tweeds, blues juniors with the black tolex. The light brown ones with the light brown screens like that country guy had them redo... Chris Stapleton. I meeeeeean, I can't keep them all straight. LOL. Modelings amps. I usually eliminate them in my mind....

And that's the hard part with amp shopping, even among just that one company there's so many choices. Although most of them are out of my budget.

Someday I'd like to try an ampeg, but I'm not sure they have one small enough that would be good for the levels I play at.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.