what amps are these in this video?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Newbcaster, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

i know the one on the left is an old Standel. what do the other two look like to you folks?

2. jdgladw

jdgladw Tele-Meister

One of them is a Multivox Premier 120.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The beige amp with the metal grille adornment is a Premier Md. 88 or Super 88. One would have to check the controls on the preamp section to know which one. I have a Super 88 that I may resurrect this weekend. The Premier 88 is the amp Link Wray used to record much of his vintage music..including Rumble. The amp section is sitting to the immediate right of the speaker cab. The two sections clamp together for transport. Cooder is a big fan of the Md. 88.
    The tweed to the right is the Premier amp section looks like a 5E3 to me...right next to the drums.

4. jdgladw

jdgladw Tele-Meister

Did the 88s have a single 15" speaker model? I thought they only came in a 15" and two 3" configuration.

Wally likes this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Good eye..... I did not notice that the two small speakers are not there. There are a number of variations in the 88’s. Here is one that was on Reverb.com that looks to be the same as Cooder’s....no high end speakers either. It is. Md. 88N.
    My Super 88 has the passive crossover with the two small speakers for the high end....in addition to the tone level controls. Notice that this Md. 88N has only the flip switches for the tone controls...two for the Mic channel and five for the guitar. There is only a volume level control for each of those channels. On the Super 88, there are concentric pots in each of those positions giving a volume control for each channel plus a tone circuit level control for each channel. The he tone level is in addition to the flip switches that we see in this 88N.

https://reverb.com/item/5710209-premier-model-88-n-tube-amplifier-ser-9355

jdgladw likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.