What amp inspires you at home at family friendly volume?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ClosetSciFiGeek, Sep 1, 2013.

1. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

My '77 SF Champ never fails to inspire me. But the Champ now has two challengers:

Challenger #1 is a Kustom Dart 10 I picked up a couple-three years ago when the local Bain Big Box was blowing them out for $40. Its highly satisfactory performance as a ukulele amplifier immediately justified the investment, even if it proved useless as a guitar amp.

For a long time, it seemed it was useless as a guitar amp, due to limitations imposed by the 6.5" speaker and the single voicing control. However, it was acceptable as a headphone amp in the clean mode. Recently, I began experimenting with the gain circuit, and found some more rewarding settings, and just yesterday discovered a combination that actually sounds good through the speaker.

Challenger #2 is a Vox DA5 which was my teenaged son's first amp. He had given it back to me after it quit working with its wall-wart power supply (and after I had given him a Peavey Vypyr 15). I still need to track down and fix the broken PCB trace, but was happy to confirm a couple of days ago that it functions with batteries. After playing without effects for many years, I soon discovered that I still have a weakness for a phase shifter. :oops:

I rather expect, though, that the Champ will continue to be my chief source of inspiration.

2. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I really like my Fender Champ 600/5F1 mod. It makes me sound a heck of a lot better then I am :D

3. ClosetSciFiGeek

ClosetSciFiGeek TDPRI Member

That takes being "Taken to the Woodshed" to a new dimension

Nicely played, Sir!

4. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

For inspiration I find myself reaching for the acoustic more often than not. I seem to do my most creative stuff on it and its generally where I have my breakthroughs and "ah ha!" moments. For electric, I like my Muchxs Champ clone with a dash of reverb for low volume playing.

5. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

I play my Tech21 and Vox Pathfinder more than anything else lately, but that's not really the thing that inspires me to play. It's usually either an idea I have, or something I just listened to, or just the need to practice some songs.

6. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

1958 tweed Princeton. Sounds mellow and warm low. Barks and thumps when pushed. It's the one I go to when I'm looking for inspiration.

Attached Files:

7. Sargeslide

Sargeslide Tele-Meister

Tweaker, 15 watts, great sounds, for home and gigs! Had mine since they came out a few years back one of the few amps I have not tired of.

8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

I use a 1st generation G-DEC 30 for most home playing.

9. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

what inspires me is never the amp or guitar. Usually it is something I want to learn or try. To start off, my acoustic works as well as my PRRI or the Super Champ I had before. Ipad apps like Garage Band or Amplitube did not quite do the trick, my inspiration starts evaporating when hooking up all those cables and headphones (and then still something is never quite right...). What keeps me playing long after that is my Tele through the PRRI. Mostly clean. Or the acoustic.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Honestly, my 3 amps were definitely purchased with 'dual use' (at home and gigs) in mind- great tone and portability were at the forefront:
    '68 Deluxe Reverb
    1999 Blues Junior
    Vox Pathfinder 15R

* I love a clean sound and I love various dirty sounds, so no need to find the right 'bedroom breakup volume' BS out of my amps- prefer a clean amp and create OD with pedals and I do this pretty well, at any volume

11. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

Here's why I like my solid state amps: it doesn't matter what volume I play them at, they basically sound the same at any volume. I use pedals for my dirt, and amps to amplify. I've never fully understood the appeal of an amp that must be turned up to a certain volume to sound good. Of course, there's nothing like moving lots of air with the volume cranked... but basically, a good SS amp will have the same tonal qualities at gig volumes, or turned down to "bedroom" volume. I'm generalizing here, but hopefully you get the point. I'm not trying to bash tube amps or anything, but I've found that SS amps have worked well for me over the years.

12. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

For true middle of the night apartment jamming, it's my Roland Micro Cube. It can't do a light gig out like some of its bigger brothers, but it does the job I've assigned it. Battery operation is a plus for sitting around wherever in the apartment or porch.

That said, it isn't inspirational in the same manner as one of my louder tube amps.

13. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

Vox AC30C2

Caveat: I'm still on Honeymoon with this amp, so it should inspire me, right?

I'm really having no difficulties dialing in a "sweet spot" at bedroom volumes. Sure it sounds way better louder, but I'm still inspired at low levels.

14. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Until the modeling section stopped working, my Super Champ XD was perfect for me.

15. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    When I think of home friend (other than the basement/man cave) I think of bedroom/living room levels. With that thought in mind, I would go Champ - I have a EC Vibro Champ that is wonderful for lower volumes.

16. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Between my Swart AST Master MkII 112 combo and my 75 Fender SFPR the Fender wins in terms of "family friendly", but the Swart wins in terms of tone, at least to my ears. Fortunately, because of my schedule, I'm able to get a LOT of time in on the Swart. Can't remember the last time I played the Fender, though earlier today I was thinking I should plug it in on the porch and do a little pickin' with my Strat.

17. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

I have hunted high and low for that amp that does it all loud enough for practice and cosy at home I found it in a gibson GA-14 titan.

18. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Tele-Meister

Buy yourself a Badcat Unleash and you crank your tube amp to its sweet spot and have that tone at any volume.

19. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

+1 one on the Tweaker 15. It's excellent at low volume and even better when you turn it up.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.