What amp inspires you at home at family friendly volume?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ClosetSciFiGeek, Sep 1, 2013.

1. ClosetSciFiGeek

ClosetSciFiGeek TDPRI Member

Hello, first post thank you for putting the site together, good group of folks. I am a transplanted horn player who now plays a CV Tele Custom, CV 60's Strat and Washburn HB-30TS semi-hollowbody. Fave is the tele hence lurking on this site.

I have three devices I play through at home and here is what I think. Let me know what you think and are INSPIRED by when you play through it.

1) 5E3 Clone-good cleans at low volume, but too loud when it gets good and dirty for blues and classic rock at the volume it takes to inspire me.
    2) Fender Mustang II-good cleans, but driven tones don't get my motor runnin' though I can put volume wherever I want it.
    3) iPad with JamUp Pro XT through good pair of headphones-more often than not I end up doing this and I actually really like it, so does my family(especially compared to a cranked up 5E3) I am going to try running the headphone out into the 1/8" input jack on my Mustang II to see how that sounds.

2. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I like my 73 Vibro Champ. Recorded with it in the basement before breakfast today and didn't wake anyone up.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

A 40w 1x10 SS Roland Cube 40xl. To me it's a perfect at home amp but also good enough and loud enough to do light duty on gigs. It has a power squeeze feature that works like an attenuator on a tube amp that will reduce the power to 2.5w for playing high gain settings at lower non neighbor annoying or divorce inducing volumes.

Great cleans, a nice selection of amp models from Fender Blackface to Mesa Dual Rectifier and points in between to explore, and a very nice selection or onboard effects plus a two reverb effects. Two features I really appreciate are the 80 sec looper for recording and an acoustic sim setting that turns the amp into a very effective amp for my acoustic/electrics and even tends to give my Teles a more open acoustic sound. It saves me from needing to buy an acoustic only amp.

How it inspires me is that it sounds great and because of that it's a joy to play through. It and all of Rolands larger Cubes are pro grade amps from a players view but these SS Cubes are also a lot of fun to play and because of their analog controls far easier to operate and tweak than digital amps like Line 6 or Fender Mustangs. YMMV

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got a super 210 + 12" bin in the lounge room/open area..... I've never heard anyone complain about how loud it is... though I do dial it to suit the situation... it sounds good low volume anyway....

... most comment on how good it sounds when they plug one of their guitars into it...
    they mostly have smaller "home" amps.... SS more than tube..... ;)

nothing like a solid twin, 6 foot away, to noodle through...;)

5. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

My 62 tweed champ. Super warm at low volume.

6. Yossi

Yossi TDPRI Member

I'm fortunate to have a basement to play in, so I'm not worried about the volume. My home rig is a Sommatone OD 35 on a 2x12 cab and a RedPlate Magic dust duo combo in stereo. It's inspirational.

7. ClosetSciFiGeek

ClosetSciFiGeek TDPRI Member

Thanks for the quick replies, especially being new on the site. Looks like some votes for Champs. Might build one of those next. I agree with the Mustang being difficult to setup unless I hook up a laptop to it. That is why I am thinking about hooking up my iPad to it which should be more convenient.

8. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

I actually really like to use my cheap peavy bass amp for practicing at home. It's one of those super small ones with the trans-tube thingy.
    It will actually give a nice distorted sound at bedroom volumes when you dial in the trans-tube stuff. And it reacts nicely to pedals too.

Absolute garbage for bass use, though haha. Just farts and rattles at anything lower than an A :p

9. Justin L Franks

Justin L Franks TDPRI Member

My 15-watt Egnater Tweaker sounds incredible even at very low volume. It's difficult to get a bad sound out of it.

10. edocaster

edocaster Tele-Meister

Baja tele through a slightly tweaked iOS GarageBand Tweed Rhythm preset on my iPhone, either through my headphones or my old 2.1 Altec Lansing computer speakers. I had too much fun last night through the speakers I almost got in trouble after almost forgetting to bathe my 22-month old daughter ha.

Having a small amp (modded Blues Jr) in the apartment was great for me but it didn't work out for my young family so it's back in the garage. JamUp is great for figuring out songs but it has too much latency to my liking if I'm looking for inspiration and my puny iPhone 4 can't handle the ultra low latency setting. My wife's new iPad should do, but it's my wife's lol.

11. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I play in an apartment, and have been playing my Super 210 "well set" exclusively for quite a while after playing a '69 Champ, 25R and PJ, all of which I still love. The Super 210 just sounds better, even at low volume. Can dial in the OD channel for some nice edgy sounds at low volume as well. Maybe twin 10" speakers and bigger cab just let the sound breathe better? Sweet amp IMHO.

12. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

Here lately it's been my SuperChampX2 and VHT Ultra 6. I can't seem to put the guitar down when I dial in the ultra just right. With the SC, I feel very ADD because there are so many great models

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

My 210 has just been at the tech.... he found some leaky filter caps, so we replaced any components that looked "tired"...
    and a new set of "valveytubes" , ha ha, Ruby6L6GCmstr's..... he also tried a small mod on the OD channel that softened it a bit to give it more usable settings/volume.. and tied it in with the master vol on the clean channel .... maybe used a lower output pre amp tube ?...
    so you can set your gain/Vol dials.... and tweak them up/down on the other vol knob....

I like it...:)....

before, I could have two guitars plugged in at the ready... and set V6 and that would start to rattle pictures and cutlery....

now with the work done.... the house starts rattling at over V4.... the amp is more alive and working harder at the lower V settings with the new caps/GC's......

14. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

Without a doubt, the champ amp has preserved more marriages and families than any other amp.

15. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Late night I turn off the loud amps and move to one of these, they all have headphone jacks too:

Vox Mini 3
    Marshall VS-65 w/ headphones
    Focusrite ITrack Solo/Ipad w/ headphones

The sleepyheads don't even hear a thing, even the dog doesn't raise her ears.

16. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

LBN, I've been curious about the Vox Mini 3. I don't suppose you've had experience with both the Mustang I and the mini3? The mini3 is smaller, yes? (Speaker, overall dimensions?) But what about the models and effects? How do they compare? Is the mini3 easier to navigate than the Mustang I? Inquiring, technologically challenged, old-fool-from-the-old-school minds like mine want to know.

Oh, my answer to the OP's question is one of my Vox Pathfinder 15Rs. I play through it at night all the time after my wife's asleep. In fact, just make that all the time...period. Before I got my first PF15R, I was (and still am) a big time Peavey fan. I still play through my Peaveys on occasion, but now at home (and even at quite a few gigs) I plug into one of my Pathfinders. Or more than one simultaneously.

17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The amp that really turns my crank at lower volume is a Mesa TA-15 on the five watt setting through a closed-back 1x12. Channel one is top boost Vox inspired, and channel two does a great Marshall crunch, both at volumes low enough to hear the TV over.

18. Jim72

Jim72 Tele-Meister

attenuator

Consider building an attenuator for the 5E3. Contact Dave at Boothill Amps, he sells the attenuator kits, they work well.

19. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

When I purchased the Mini 3 I did a SBS against the Mustang Mini and the
    Microcube. My goal was to find the portable that would stay the cleanest at full volume in a quest to have a portable platform to plug my pedalboard into. Guitar used was a AM standard Tele.

What I found was with all 3 on their cleanest settings and volume knob most
    of the way up the Microcube flubbed out, the Fender seemed to have a lot of
    built in gain and a dirty sound. The Vox stayed nice and clean all the way
    up on "clean" and it's twin reverb model also sounds nice and clean and tasty.

The Vox ended up costing me $75.00 out the door with the AC adapter included, can't get much cheaper than that for a decent portable amp. I may take it to a gig one night and mic the thing just for laughs, the little thing
    actually puts out some nice tone, get pretty loud and the built in effects and amp models are quite usable.

20. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i bought a crate vintage club 20 for bedroom use. 15 watts, all tube, reverb, headphone out, and a separate gain control to get cranked amp tones. lots of fun there

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.