1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What amp has been the best match for you and your Tele?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by skhan007, Dec 5, 2020.

1. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

My '72 tele sounds great with any amp... but if I had to choose one, I still need to choose two :p

I don't own them anymore... but for 20+ years I used a pair of MusicMan 2x12's...
    Keep in mind... I make my money playing country and I'm a big Albert Lee fan ;)

2. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

2nd that on the TMDR

3. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Currently it is my 1970 Pro Reverb which I keep in a head cabinet paired with an Altec 418 in an open back cabinet. I've modded the Pro Reverb to use JJ 6V6 tubes giving me a 20W amp. I use a -6db attenuator to help it be home friendly/

4. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

So far it's been my Fender Two-Tone, though I really haven't gotten to play a whole lot of amps unfortunately.

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

After trying and owning way to many vintage and modern amps it is definitely the Marshall 1974x with the tweed Deluxe a very close second.
    These amps have the best CLEAN Tele sound I have ever heard.
    It must be their enhanced mids and compression that naturally compensate the Tele's trebly nature.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Chicago Matt likes this.
  7. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Holic

+1!

My ‘best’ amp is my Matchless (you might have guessed that) but the 5E3 was made to complement the single coil pickups in Strats and most especially Teles. People sometimes complain that Deluxes are ‘too bassy’ but they make Teles sound huge. No-one is going to suggest that your Tele is thin if you’re playing through a 5E3.

Chicago Matt and Ricky D. like this.
  8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My Ampmaker WF-55 does pretty much everything I need as a home player. What little it can't do, my G3 can.
    Best match?, the WF-55. It's pretty much a Champ. It's a simple circuit. Turn the one control knob to set the maximum amp graunch required, and drive everything else from the guitar. Cleans to means, it can do it all.

9. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Vox AC15C1 for me... and the Jazzmaster sounds great through it too (so long as the JM tone is rolled back!).
    I’m very tempted to try out a Roland JC40 though... it would be very useful to be able to stay clean at higher volumes.

10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

That's right, MatchlessMan. The 5E3, completely stock. No mods whatsoever. Bright channel, tone on 12. Fender Original Vintage pickups. I'm channeling Cropper with his whiteguard and his tweed Harvard.

P Thought and Chicago Matt like this.
  11. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Super Sonic 60

12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

My tele sounds good with all the amps I've owned and borrowed.

The 2 absolute best have been my 1968 AB165 bassman (that I should have kept) and my 3rdRail 5e5.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  13. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

All my guitars sound best with my 57 Twin Amp Reissue (low power 5E8A Tweed Twin).

But for a Tele, The 5E3 (Tweed Deluxe) is a very close second. The Tele has a lot of treble, and the 5E3 has a lot of mids and bass. They go together like ham and eggs.

14. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Tone Master Deluxe Reverb Blonde. Now if I could only get out and gig with it beyond the first time...

P Thought and Mike M like this.
  15. ScottTunes

ScottTunes TDPRI Member

Best match for any of my guitars is my '64 Deluxe Rev. But for studio and most rehearsals only. At most stage volume levels, I need more "clean" volume than the DR has, and use a Brown Vibrolux or '64 BF Bandmaster (converted to 210 combo). I can't hear the differences at higher volumes anymore anyway! But the DR has the tones and sparkle I look for, when I can hear it... ;-)

16. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

17. choops

choops TDPRI Member

Lazy J20 5E3 Tweed Deluxe with Celestion Blue.

18. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

This 20200611_170819.jpg into my 1970 DR modified to run 6L6s and 2x10 JBLs

20190104_001050.jpg - love it!

teletimetx and Treynor like this.
  19. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

A great Tele, wielded by a competent player can make any amp sound it's best! Although a good Les Paul or Strat can do pretty well, in the hands of the same said "competent" player! :cool: It ain't the arrows, its the Indian!
    This Is The Gospel Truth!
    Gene

20. skhan007

skhan007 TDPRI Member

If you guys like tweed amp tones, and I know you do, I can say without reservation, the Swart line of amps will meet and exceed your expectations! I just picked up this gem from a local seller in mint condition in the box. It's a single ended 6v6 (and can run 6L6 too) with the most lush tube-driven reverb and tube-driven tremolo. It's the Swart Space Tone Reverb Trem model and it came with a G12H30. Dialed down, it sounds like a great bluesy tweed tone. It breaks up quick as you turn up the volume. Run at about 3/4 on the volume, my sweet spot, it sounds like Aerosmith Rocks. Not even kidding. There's also a cathode bypass switch for two additional tonal shaping options. Tone monster!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

elihu and Tim S like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.