What amp for a Les Paul ??

stratoman1

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have good luck with my Blackstars, Hughes and Kettner Tubemiester 36 and my Rectoverb. The Recto i did have to put a volume pedal on

BFcaster

Tele-Meister
Wow, more Les Paul guys here than I thought!

I've got a couple amps, including a first-run 1998 Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12 (which I've changed out the Master to an audio pot and re-biased to 68 and clipped R103 [reverb] and put a ECC83S in V3. Now it's tamed!!). This on the clean channel and my LP in 50's wiring is reeeeally nice.
Not the 70's classic sound you're looking for? Add a Boss BD-2 with minimal gain, or better yet add a Tonebender MkII clone set to just a hint of fuzz. The Tonebender clone I use (sToneBender from ThroBak) nails many of the sounds I think you seek. Think minimal gain or fuzz, but a little more amp volume and I think you'll get there (my opinion because that's what I do when the wife's away.).

Last edited:

AJBaker

Friend of Leo's
A good Les Paul will sound good going through just about any good tube amp.

A Marshall is of course a classic combination, but a Vox covers a lot of the same ground with more character in my opinion.

One of my favourite amps with a Les Paul is a silver face Vibrolux Reverb. It's clear and clean sounding, but can break up when pushed with humbuckers. The smooth sounding and hot pickups (compared to Fender pickups) fit well with the clean and bright amp and compliment each other nicely.

A lot of Peter Green recordings are a Les Paul into a blackface Fender amp.

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
Crate V18.

Unbelievable pairing with a Gibson Les Paul.

;)

V18-212-3Qtr-bd5f5f6852a70e09234d76fc4de482cf.jpg

BFcaster

Tele-Meister
It's worth noting the pickups on the Les Paul may/may not contribute to getting the sound out of whatever amp you choose. It's a matter of opinion perhaps, but un-potted PAFs have that honk you many times hear on records from that era.

Last edited:

Zoso420

Tele-Holic
Yes It is a simulclass but it is still a very loud 25 watts to get the tone. I’m looking to build something with fewer knobs
Are you needing to crank the power tubes to get a good tone? Have you thought about something like a twonotes capturex?

Last edited:

Paul-T

Tele-Holic
When I owned a Les Paul it sounded majestic though my Park (ie Marshall) 75W KT88 stack. If I owned another I'd use a JTM45 clone with Celestions. Or more realistically a Bassman Micro, perhaps EF80 version, with the JTM45 changes.(When I practised our set at home with the Park, kids would often congregate on the road outside. It was a small, boring village. I don't think I could get away with that today.)

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
A good Les Paul will sound good going through just about any good tube amp.

I've had limited experience with Les Pauls played through KT66 tube equipped amps but, on the occasions I've tried to make them work together it seemed the KT66 amps weren't Les Paul friendly. A Tele, Strat, SG or Firebird into a KT66 sounds a little fuller bodied but in a very good way while Les Pauls seem to get muddy in the mid and low mids and the low end gets accentuated to the point that I totally ignore the neck pickup and just work with the bridge pickup. One of my Les Pauls has a pair of Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups, (known for maintaining clarity and string definition in high gain situations), and even that guitar seems to get pot bellied through a KT66 tube amp.

tdoty

Tele-Meister
With the sounds you're looking for, I'd also vote for a Bassman Micro with the "Plexi mods", and maybe a few more mods, even. Those early 70's guys were more likely playing a cranked Plexi (or a Champ in the control room) than a Master Volume JCM800.

Just my opinion.

MichaelWhy

TDPRI Member
I am loving the “micro” amps, modded bassman micro is next on the list. the micro champ/deluxe are just not Marshally enough for my tastes but I love the tweed look so just added some of the mods. I have built plexi’ and other Marshall’s but they just don’t sound good to me unless the are “up to 11” for want of a better expression so just mod the micro amps to give them a little more gain than the original design and that is working really well for me, to the point where I no longer own a branded amp. My favourite is still robrobs 1w champ but with 12ax7 preamp and a few mods. So it has the charm of a clean fender but max the channel volume and it’s all Marshally goodness just without the hearing damage.

it’s as simple as it can get LP, cable and champ , just play with up the channel and master volume to get the sound you are looking for.