What amp for a Les Paul ??

pinchegil

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
Do you require a no pedals straight into the amp experience?
I love the 18w TMB but even with the MV it's not a preamp gain amp so needs to be pretty damn loud. Or drive pedal.
My Orange OR15 gets Marshally snarl at quite low to medium to high volumes.
It's a great fine line of classic Marshall sort of dirt into more modern gain.

Actually never tried my LP into it though, but that should not be any problem.
. I’m really looking for an amp to build that is lower wattage that gives me the 70s Les Paul sound (Page, Moore, Kossoff, etc)

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
31B2E1E7-64D0-4114-807C-952E182454F8.jpeg

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Love my Quilter Aviator Cub. Sounds just as good with the wattage switch on low as high. Nice and light and easy to schlep around. SS so you never have tube issues. And @ $550 or so new, it's definitely worth a look.

If I was to buy another amp, I'd maybe try the Quilter Reverb 101 head and a nice 1x12 cabinet with a Texas Heat speaker. YMMV

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
. I’m really looking for an amp to build that is lower wattage that gives me the 70s Les Paul sound (Page, Moore, Kossoff, etc)

Quite a few players associate JCM800 preamp based dirt with "70s" but I'm in the smaller group that hears a distinct difference between the say Kossoff earlier non MV non preamp gain based el34 power section distortion, as opposed to JCM800 preamp distortion that I hear as more buzzy and less creamy.

Take Page '70s distortion and on albums it was often a whole nother snarling thing from smaller amps in studio like his Supro.

Then take Slash LP into JCM800 Jubilee and he got more of that creamy less buzzy dirt but not at lower volume.
The more you turn down an 800 and lean on the preamp for clipping, the more buzzy it gets.
I have not tried a 6v6 JCM800 rig but the 800 preamp is where the buzzy dirt comes from, so the power tubes are not going to change that until you turn up enough for power tube dirt.

You might consider the old Orange Tiny Terror which came hand wired as well as PCB so can and often is built at home.
That amp was designed to sound like the first AC/DC albums which featured Angus playing a Plexi 100 with the classic more Kossoff like earlier non preamp non buzzy dirt.
I have not played one turned down but the circuit is simpler than an 800, only two preamp tubes, so it's distinctly not the 800 style clipping.

ronzhd

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
This video doesn't do it justice, I bought one of these second hand and I'm glad I did.

Vocalion

Tele-Meister
Maybe experiment by adding some mids with an EQ pedal before giving up on the Fender amps you already own.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
All I need a new project, I have a 2019 Gibson lp standard. It sounds great though my MB Mk3 at ear bleed level. I do not like how it sounds through my tweeds. Thinking RR 6v6 Marshal any other ideas???

I have a 2019 60th Anniversary R9 and a 2011 CS Strat. After much experimentation, the LP is pretty well always plugged into my Custom 64' Hand Wired PR and the Strat is pretty much always plugged into the 57' Custom Deluxe. This is my thinking on this pairing. The LP is mid thick, the PR is mid scooped so they balance themselves out. By comparison, the Strat is mid scooped and the 57' is mid thick/heavy, so they too balance themselves out. I do mix them up from time to time, but I have come to realize that the tones that I get from those two very different set ups is music to my ears.

Last edited:

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
I personally love the sound of a Les Paul through a Fender amp, but tomato, to-mah-to...

I really enjoy running my LP through my Egnater Rebel 30. You have the ability use either the 6V6 or EL84 power tubes, or blend them. I usually do a mix that is turned a little more toward the EL84s. It gives it a mid-range spike that really makes the tone jump out for me.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Sounds like the OP might like a Marshall Origin?

I like small/ portable, and the 10" speaker in that larger cab of the Origin 20 looks like good combo-combo!

Totally agree, an Origin 20 or 50 would fit the OP’s needs. I own an Origin 50C, a great amp and the low wattage setting sounds great at bedroom volumes. You do need an OD pedal with an Origin for mid-higher gain but it takes pedals super well. I bought my floor-model Origin at 1/2 off retail but still a great amp at full price.

6F2AAD08-CC69-448C-8445-C262C3AF818C.jpeg

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Totally agree, an Origin 20 or 50 would fit the OP’s needs. I own an Origin 50C, a great amp and the low wattage setting sounds great at bedroom volumes. You do need an OD pedal with an Origin for mid-higher gain but it takes pedals super well. I bought my floor-model Origin at 1/2 off retail but still a great amp at full price.

View attachment 935618
Funny, I have no need ( or $$, room) for amps other than the little amps I now use
But man, the Marshall Origins, and that new 1X12" Fender '68 Pro Reverb would have been perfect bar amps for me 15-20 years ago!

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m partial to the 18watt variations with the LP…the “TMB” variation is most useful. Speaker choice is key, as a pair of EL84s can still crank with a really efficient speaker.