What amp do you use for your coffee house gigs?

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I use a Fisherman Loudbox Mini. It covers guitar and vocals in a small light package.

I have also run my electric with a Joyo American Sound into it, and it sounded good to me. I have a switcher so I can (could) switch between electric and acoustic without unplugging anything. Of course it gets less “grab and go” if one brings two guitars! 😜

middy

Friend of Leo's
I don't have coffee house gigs, but I just got two of these mini Danelectro Honeytone amps for some guitars I'm building with my kids, and they are fun. Just make sure you plug it in. The one I played gated like crazy with only the 9V.

EDIT: oh and they don't come with a power supply so you would need to pick that up separately.

View attachment 945291
Little battery powered amps like this are actually perfect for playing along with unamplified singers and acoustic guitars.

Chicago Slim

Tele-Afflicted
My lightweight rig is a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. Mic in the Reverb channel and guitar through a digital pedal, into the Normal channel. Only 24 lbs. for both guitar and vocals.

100_2415.JPG

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
My lightweight rig is a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. Mic in the Reverb channel and guitar through a digital pedal, into the Normal channel. Only 24 lbs. for both guitar and vocals.

View attachment 945352
I love it. The old fashioned way. Back in high school in the ‘60s we all plugged a mic into the unused guitar amp channel. Rich kids had a PA someone’s dad could afford. Where I lived we had what we could buy on $10 a man church basement dances.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
For acoustic guitar I have this thing. It has 2 inputs, one for guitar the other for vocals. So you could use only this. It also has a direct out to PA with separate level control, so if you do that you can use the amp as your monitor.

For electric, nothing beats a Princeton Reverb for small venues. For vocals get a small powered speaker.
Capture.JPG

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Last time I saw a coffee shop gig the guy used a HRdlx. No, seriously. There were drums involved.

If I were to play one tomorrow, I'd want to take my supro if they had a PA, I'd have to figure out something else if not. Maybe my Frenzel with a mic in the second input, with a 20' speaker cable going to the 4×12 cab in another room?

Guess it'd depend on size of coffee shop.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
A small acoustic amp like the Mini is a nice option. Mostly for a QUIET amp. In reality, they sound like crap for a normal electric guitar. I've started using a Princeton or Deluxe, just because I like the sound.

Telecaster582

Tele-Holic
How about the Pyle Vamp? I have the 60 watt version and it can get really loud, but also as quiet as so you hear your guitar over the amp. They have different models with different wattage on Amazon. Mines only 17 pounds.

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I would take this portable PA from Alto that I bought last summer for a private party I did. It’s got two channels, digital fx, bluetooth, and it’s rechargeable. I plugged my acoustic into it.

If I want to use my tele I can go through the Quilter Power Block I have.

F3040312-A2F4-49DB-9A81-B2522C74826D.jpeg

FF4BD3D7-CF54-4900-B26D-3E2B0975DC93.jpeg

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I use the Fishman Loudbox Mini. I like it with my Ovation Celebrity, Yamaha acoustic 12-string, and Ibanez Strat copy. Its chorus sound has all my love. I plug in a dynamic mic through a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic pedal and an EQ one, on which I boost all three treble knobs, because my voice is pitched low. I'm frustrated that all the YouTube demos concentrate on how nice it sounds with acoustics, but not clean electrics or vocals. It also has a great D.I. output which, apparently, can plug into a soundboard, but I've only ever used it with my M Audio Interface that goes into a laptop for digital recording. The newer ones have a battery compartment and are Bluetooth enabled. It also has a phase switch for combatting feedback. Hope this helps! Happy rocking!

d41ffa2ba0c05c803ddcffe7c31c1301.jpg
This!
I have it’s big brother, the Performer, and it works beautifully, too.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Coffee house gigs must be an American thing, because I've never seen a PA in a coffee shop here in the UK.

Or a gig in a coffee shop for that matter.

Also, if I was in a coffee shop and someone started strumming and singing, they'd better better be damn good or I'm going somewhere else for coffee.

We're a tough crowd in London.