What amp do you use for your coffee house gigs?

TelecasterSam

Tele-Afflicted
Looking for amp ideas for smaller venues. Light weight is a must. I'm using a Telecaster with EMGs or a Les Paul Melody Maker P90.

Flip G

Tele-Holic
I use the Fishman Loudbox Mini. I like it with my Ovation Celebrity, Yamaha acoustic 12-string, and Ibanez Strat copy. Its chorus sound has all my love. I plug in a dynamic mic through a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic pedal and an EQ one, on which I boost all three treble knobs, because my voice is pitched low. I'm frustrated that all the YouTube demos concentrate on how nice it sounds with acoustics, but not clean electrics or vocals. It also has a great D.I. output which, apparently, can plug into a soundboard, but I've only ever used it with my M Audio Interface that goes into a laptop for digital recording. The newer ones have a battery compartment and are Bluetooth enabled. It also has a phase switch for combatting feedback. Hope this helps! Happy rocking!

d41ffa2ba0c05c803ddcffe7c31c1301.jpg

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I plug my acoustic and vocal mic into the PA. If they don’t have a PA, I plug my acoustic and my vocal mic into my Blackstar Sonnet 60 acoustic amp.

But mostly I try not to play in coffee houses. They never pay anything, and they rarely have beer. 🤣

rjtwangs

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I have these three...
20200131_165538.jpg

If it's a really small place I can use my Champ( 1960 5f1). If the room is a bit bigger I use either the Princeton( 1962 6g2 ) or my Clark Webster/Harvard( 2018 ). Usually the Clark is my first choice for a gig, but if I can get by with my Champ, this is my rig of choice...
20200227_202945.jpg

Sometimes I take my Flint, keeping it simple, one pedal is all I need!

RJ

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I’d probably go with a pedal board solution and just go straight to PA. I had good success with a tube preamp pedal and a Torpedo CAB, but there are nice cheaper options (Mooer just came out with one that looks cool).

Otherwise, if you want to stick with actual amps, I’d recommend Quilter. Lightweight and sound great.

Whoa Tele

Friend of Leo's
I’ve used a Quilter Aviator Cub but I prefer going direct to PA. I have uses a Tech 21 Fly Rig and Iridium but recently picked up the Quilter Superblock US and I think it’s going to become my go to for low volume gigging .

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
The Radar?
I've got that one. It's pretty decent.
There’s an even newer Mooer (see what I did there?)

http://m.mooeraudio.com/product/Preamp-Model-X-246.html

That’s the preamp. There’s a cab sim pedal, too. Sounds pretty good from demos I’ve heard.

I’d still go used Torpedo CAB maybe with some preamp pedal in front before I’d buy those new (or a Quilter pedal), but once they hit the used market, could make for a nice little affordable direct rig.

rickthescot

Tele-Afflicted
I have a Peavey VIP2 with the Sanpera 1 pedal. It has electric, bass and acoustic settings, is very light and plenty loud.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
If acoustic gig , I use a Fishman Loudbox Mini, as ( for me) it is a perfect 'solo PA' with completely independent vocal and instrument channels ( including separate Reverb)
If a quiet band gig ( heck, even louder gig, since I'm the only electric guitar), it's the Vox Pathfinder 15R.

Two amps I swear were custom-designed for me!

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
I can't say what low power Fender amp I would take but loudspeaker would be WGS G12Q because its low volume sound great where its low sensitivity has positive effect and it is very light and not expensive.

Last edited:

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I usually used my Peavey Bandit for this type of gig (corporate events and such). It with a modeler acting as a pre-amp worked well so far as volume scaling went. The Bandit isn't particularly light though and doesn't do double duty as a PA.

If I were to get back into that kind of gig, I'd probably look at some kind of portable powered PA system to use with a modeling unit as well as supporting vocals and so forth. I bought a Headrush FRFR for this but it turns out these amps have a design defect that makes them prone to overheating and burning out the circuit board.

Beebe

Tele-Holic
I don't have coffee house gigs, but I just got two of these mini Danelectro Honeytone amps for some guitars I'm building with my kids, and they are fun. Just make sure you plug it in. The one I played gated like crazy with only the 9V.

EDIT: oh and they don't come with a power supply so you would need to pick that up separately.

Screenshot_20220128-080305.png

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I use the Fishman Loudbox Mini. I like it with my Ovation Celebrity, Yamaha acoustic 12-string, and Ibanez Strat copy. Its chorus sound has all my love. I plug in a dynamic mic through a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic pedal and an EQ one, on which I boost all three treble knobs, because my voice is pitched low. I'm frustrated that all the YouTube demos concentrate on how nice it sounds with acoustics, but not clean electrics or vocals. It also has a great D.I. output which, apparently, can plug into a soundboard, but I've only ever used it with my M Audio Interface that goes into a laptop for digital recording. The newer ones have a battery compartment and are Bluetooth enabled. It also has a phase switch for combatting feedback. Hope this helps! Happy rocking!

d41ffa2ba0c05c803ddcffe7c31c1301.jpg

Mine has Bluetooth capability, but doesn’t have a battery option. I love it!