1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What amp do you use for home/quiet practice?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by markal, Apr 20, 2016.

1. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

I've had a SF Pro Reverb for 25 years. It used to be my only amp, at home at at gigs. Then I got sucked into buying practice amps and ended up with a bunch of them. But now I'm back to using the Pro Reverb and it sounds better than any of them.

I wish I could speak to my 22-year old self and say: "You know that Tele you built and that Pro Reverb you just bought? That's all you need. Put any spare money you have into property, nice holidays or a pension. Don't waste it on more amps and guitars."

xafinity, amhildreth and oldgofaster like this.
  2. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

I have simple Squier 15 watt transistor amp. My dream amp would be to get another vintage Fender Princeton, 12 watts. That's all I would need for practice and recording.

3. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Excelsior. In an apartment (play in the living room with outside walls/no shared walls) and never get complaints. Sounds great clean at low volume, and with the tremolo on slow really adds a nice sound to strummed chords. Just plug straight in.

4. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

5F1 champ clone or my brownface Princeton. Sometimes I just play my tele completely unplugged too - that's actually kind of fun - especially when the family is sleeping.

5. amhildreth

amhildreth TDPRI Member

My little 12W Peavy Audition 20 I bought new in 1985. Recently gave it a good overhaul, and it's back to form again.

6. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Whichever I'm feeling... lately it's mostly been my Traynor Ironhorse (40/15W) into a 2x12 loaded with Greenbacks. Sometimes it's the Fender Deluxe 900, and sometimes the old Marshall MG-15.
    I just stop playing around 10PM during the week so no one complains. The weekends I don't gaf.

7. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

I'm surprised I'm the only one so far who uses a little Yamaha THR desktop amp for practice. I can get almost any tone with this thing and its loaded with effects - chorus, delay, flanger, tremolo, phaser, spring and hall reverb. The hall reverb is fantastic. Sounds amazing for it's size, even at really low volume. And I can use it in battery mode and play in the tree house if I want.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  8. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Funny, I take my electric on the road for work because it's quieter than acoustics for playing in the hotel rooms

uriah1 likes this.
  9. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The only amp I have, a 15 watt Vox Pathfinder and a cheapo Digitech pedal, used with headphones if I'm not alone in the house.

10. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Tele-Meister

I have 3...
    Fender Greta into 2x12
    '75 Fender Vibro Champ
    Vox ACTV4 (10")

11. Hi-Fi Jim

Hi-Fi Jim Tele-Meister

Marshall Studio 15
    Fender Super Champ (Rivera era)
    Fender Super Champ XD
    Fender Vibro Champ (silverface)

They're all great at low volumes but the Super Champ XD is by far the best low volume amp I've owned. The Vibro Champ is my least favorite as it needs a pedal for low volume breakup. It's much too loud for most playing at home and it's my smallest amp!

12. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Mustang 3, or use the headphone out on my Zoom GxOn.

13. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

1. 5f2a with lovely but inefficient Weber 10A100
    2. 68 CPR with lovely CTS alnico from a Super Reverb for cleans or add Timmy for dirt
    3. 5e3 with Weber Micromass attenuator through wonderful Weber 12A125

To be fair, I live in a 100-year-old house built of brick and *thick* solid pioneer fir -- pretty soundproof.

14. ThinLizzy73

ThinLizzy73 TDPRI Member

I use my THR10 most of the time. You can really get most tones from it. I just wish it had more than 5 on-board storage slots.

15. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

SF Champ
    Little Dawg Chocoprince
    PRS Archon 25 (master volume is stellar)

16. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

A Vox Mini 3 battery amp. There's something very nice about the way it sounds set up on the table right in front of me.

17. markal

markal Tele-Holic

A wider variety than I expected. I just got a Peavey Bandit "redstripe"...been using that over the last few days on low volume (1 if my wife is home, 2-3 if she's not home). But I may go back to the mustang and leave the Peavey (or whatever I get next) for jams.

18. Mr.Draned

Mr.Draned TDPRI Member

Vox AC4TV
    '79 Fender Vibro Champ

19. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I just got a Yamaha THR-10 specifically for versatile quiet tones. So far I'm very impressed. The ''clean'' mimics my 73 twin amusingly well at 1/20 the volume. I never had a Mesa but the ''modern'' model on the THR just blasts with my Fralin P90-equipped LPjr clone.

And just about everything in between is covered too. Cool and very portable piece of gear that doesn't even look like an amp. Sits on back of my desk as I type this with a tele in my lap....

20. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've got a blackface champ and super champ but even at low volumes I prefer the bigger amps like twin reverbs, supers etc. If its too loud I play unpugged electric or acoustic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.