1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What amp did I just buy for $80?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bendingtens, Nov 3, 2020.

1. bendingtens

bendingtens Tele-Holic

I feel like a glutton after discovering the $100 Peavey Classic 50/410. This is a little something different I picked up a few weeks earlier. It's a Victor projector with speaker cabinet. I've read that the projector amp has two 6L6s in it. I have no technical expertise on working with amp circuitry so I'm not sure what I'll do with this pair. Honestly, I just thought the speaker cabinet looked cool. Perhaps I could get a little one watt amp head and drive it? Or pass it on to someone who knows what they're doing.

Note: the pictures I uploaded aren't from my actual amp/speaker cabinet, though mine is the exact same in identical, nearly perfect condition. (I left the pair that I purchased at a friend's house and haven't taken pictures of it yet.) By the way, I pulled the attached pictures off the antiques website 1stdibs, which shows that someone bought the projector/speaker for $1600. Why? I have no idea.

Note # 2: the speaker cabinet plugs into the control panel via the two-prong female socket. In other words, the speaker cabinet wire has a male outlet.)

Thoughts on what I should do with this whole deal?

Victor controls.jpeg Victor back.jpeg Victor cabinet.jpeg Victor projector.jpeg Victor cabinet back.jpeg

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hard to say, that projector could be a collectors' item.

Wally likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It's probably very similar to a Tweed Deluxe.

4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That looks a little more special than a lot of old projectors. I know you can find a lot cheap but I’d research this one a little before doing anything else.

Wally likes this.
  5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

My cousin used an old Bell and Howell projector amp (it had to be converted for guitar use) for several years...sounded great, looked cool.

But as others have said, I’d get some expert advice before I started chopping...

6. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

That Victor logo is cool AF. Definitely do your research first - it may be worth $$$ in current state to a projector-collector.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That is a unit that imho should be sold as is to an enthusiast in that particular market rather than repurposing it for guitar.

corliss1, Jakedog, Mouth and 2 others like this.
  8. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

to nice to chop

Wally likes this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I agree, don't mutilate just to make a guitar amp out of it!

That said, just a curiosity question-

Is there away to ' connect things together' ( leaving projector intact) so you could actually play guitar through this?

10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There's always a way, especially if you have the schematic, but I'm not sure where you'd mount that stuff. You could just wire a guitar cable to the input to avoid drilling a hole (if that's technically possible), but then if you also need a switch you might have to mount that somewhere.

Hard to say without examining the circuit and case.

Wally and Chiogtr4x like this.
  11. Wally

I would not think so. And...who would want to lug a projector around to amplify a guitar.
    I had a young friend come by with two Bell&Howell projectors one day. One was in pristine condition...complete with editing block and all. It had been stored in 1959 when the owner passed...immaculate condition. I advised him to market the rig in the vintage projector market. The other one was nowhere near pristine, but it was a nightmare to get at to modify and I was not 8nterested in doing it. He then said that he had just finished his latest album with the studio owner’s B&H unit...would I want to hear it. He went to his vehicle and brought the amp in, we plugged 8n, and I gave a listen&for about a minute. I looked at him and asked him “Did yyou r3cord the whole album with this?” He said yes, and then I asked him if he had not heard the noise that I heard he had not...until I pointed it out to him. He had recorded an entire album with an amp that had sever speaker coil rub. He had been so fired up by internet hype about Bell&Howell amps that he forgot to use his ears. Obviously, no one else in the project heard it either!?????

PBO Blues, radiocaster and Chiogtr4x like this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Thanks, just wanted to pick your brain with a hypothetical question!

13. Chiogtr4x

Thanks, it's more of a hypothetical question, but curious!

Wally likes this.
  14. Wally

I had very cool looking RCA Victor speaker case came to me without speaker. I put a great sounding Rola(USA) speaker in it, and that lives in a Dallas Metro area recording studio with the little Caliphone unit.

tubegeek likes this.
  15. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

To follow up on Wally's story, I listen to a podcast created by the folks (well, Jason Verlinde) at The Fretboard Journal called The Truth About Vintage Amps. If you're an amp nerd (and especially if you're interested in Fenders) you MUST follow this. It's a riot and incredibly informative. Anyway, they have talked on numerous occasions about some supercool amps (with tone for days) built from old film projection gear, particularly those old Bell and Howell Filmosounds (that run on a couple of 6V6s).

Let me see if I can't come up with a few pointers into specific episodes so you don't have to wade through the 50+ of them to date, though you may want to. In the meantime:

https://guitar.com/review/oldamps-filmosound-review/

Might give you some ideas on what might be done with your Victor.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  16. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

“Projector Collector” would make a cool indie/hipster band name. Too bad the music would suck.

El Famoso likes this.
  17. Wally

Looking at that unit makes me think that the amplifier is behind that projector. More pics of the exterior would show us where that control panel for the amp is located and perhaps confirm this guess. if the amp is behind the projector unit as we see it, then why would one put the projector back in after getting it out of the way? At least, that is how I would see it.
    Here is one for sale...same model it seems.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=223965120192

PBO Blues likes this.
  18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

yea, my historical preservationist side, says get it to a worthy collector museum. There may be something unique about the format or other that combined with the films of that period, produce a unique product, like using original D120s that have not been damaged or reconed.

The other thought, is find someone into these, and sell them the projector parts, so they can restore another one, and let them document this one, as it looks unmodified - very valuable in establishing the baseline definition of a product. We've seen countless times, where stuff left the factory in a different configuration than the drawings, which is immeasurably valuable information, that is lost forever once modders get aholt of something.

19. Wally

your thoughts in the second paragraph there are why I say leave it as is. IF I were a collector of these old projectors and I had one that needed parts, I would want to find an intact and excellent condition original like this one and use the parts I had for...well, for spare parts. That said, I does not appear that there is great value in this particular model....or someone is underpricing one. However, if that unit in the link I posted is underpriced, it seems someone would have snatched it up by now. One would have almost $300 USD in that ebay unit by the time it were shipped. That makes this $80 unit a bargain, doesn’t it....no matter what one wants to do with it. That big magnet Alnico...maybe a 18 watt speaker when original...is worth that price if it works properly, imho.

20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Could be the market for old film projectors is like the market for old organs. People hate the idea of parting out an organ, I do too. However unless it's a Hammond B3 good luck getting someone to pay you for it.
    So maybe by his thing is the B3 of vintage film projectors or maybe it's not. Even a B3 don't sell real fast. Hopefully I'm wrong and there is a market for this and you can unload it to a collector and use the money to buy real guitar amp parts.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.