1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What amp am I looking for?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Pancho Villa, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Pancho Villa

Pancho Villa TDPRI Member

So I have a 65 PRRI in wine red with the 12” Jensen. It’s a glassy, beautiful pristine clean sound. Perhaps a bit lacking in the bass & mids. I also have a 68 CPR which is just a bassy, ballsy, loud amp. It runs a bit on the dark side but still gets a gorgeous chime.

Going from one to the other can be quite an act in contrast and I keep finding myself thinking, if I could get something right in the middle or take the best of each amp and put that into one cab, that would be amazing.

I started running the two in stereo and it’s damn near perfection. A beautiful, full sound. The tops are gorgeous & glassy, the bass is full and the mids are nice & thick. I was stunned at how well they complement each other.

Let’s suppose I wanted one amp that gives me that sound or something close? What would you suggest?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  2. Spoonman

Spoonman TDPRI Member

Hey Pancho, I’m no expert on amps, but I do recall an episode of “That Pedal Show “ on YouTube extolling the virtues of splitting your signal between two amps, one clean signal and one dirty. Could that be a good blend for you If you like the combination? They also praise the Two Rock amp much played by tone aficionado Matt Schofield if you’re looking to get another amp.

If you’ve not seen these regular shows it may be worth checking it out. Despite the name they cover loads more than just pedals and Dan is a Tele player so could give you a decent impression of tone options.

Dismalhead and OldPup like this.
  3. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I suppose playing both amps is always an option, you would need a good splitter/pedal. If you wanna go crazy take both chassis & put them in a large 212 custom made cab - or put them in two small head cabs with a 212 cabinet.

Jakedog likes this.
  4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

A/B/Y pedal could be fun.

Dismalhead likes this.
  5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Sounds to me like you already have a solution! Play both together!

It looks like you want one to have more mids/bass/growl, or the other to have more pristine sparkle.

From my understanding, both amps are similar, but the 68 was tweaked from the original specs. If I recall, they reduced or removed the negative feedback loop, with gives it more growl and a bit less clean sparkle, and they modified the EQ circuit to make it more like a bassman.

In theory, you could undo or reduce some of those mods in the 68, or add some of those mods to the 65.

Basically you would be swapping some resistors and capacitors in the EQ and NFL trying to find the sound you want.
    Could be fun experimenting with values between those of the 65 and 68, but might be a bit of a rabbit hole.

6. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I think you already have the amp you're looking for, shy a speaker change. If you want the middle ground sound between the two but in one amp, there are speakers that will do that. The one that I have personal experience with (and that others have raved about) is the Eminence Allesandro GA SC 64. The highs are definitely there but it has a much fuller middle and strong, tight bass. It also breaks up nicely and is way louder than the Jensen. A pricier solution is a better alnico. I put a Celestion Cream alnico in my PRRI SE 12" and it is just about perfect. The high end definition and sparkle is there but a way bigger sound and glorious breakup. American speaker makers have their equivalents, they all run north of $250 (12" versions)

mfguitar and OldPup like this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I have a PRRI and swapped in a Heyboer TO20 output transformer, along with a Weber 10F150 speaker. Firmed up the mids and lows to the point that I play with the bass control at around 25% and it still has plenty of thump.

An even simpler option is to get a closed-back 1x12 speaker cab and use that as an extension speaker on your PRRI.

mfguitar likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have found that you can really improve a PR with a larger Power transformer and a DR output transformer. I have a Vibrolux Power Transformer in mine and (surprisingly) it makes a huge difference in headroom. You can go way up the dial without it getting farty.

No other mods other than the DR output tranny. The amp had the DR output tranny before, but adding the power tranny and it's far more usable at a gig.
    It's kinda the best of both worlds.

9. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

There are a few mods like jumpering a pot bypassing the 18k nfb resistor that runs parallel to bass. You could just clamp & try as the18k is external so can solder if you like & easy reversable. Plus a whole host of other mods a bit more costly & involved on the Rob Robinette web site. The 68 Custom PRRI is your platform & I like the 10" Creamback in mine.
    I never really bonded with the 65RI as I have a h/w clone half the price of a new 65PRRI that I think sounds as good if not better.

10. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'll second the idea that you've found the perfect amp by combing the two. I am a recent new believer in the tone from combing amps. I'm running into a 65 PRRI and a Winfield (a boutique 5f1.) It's been a revelation. The PRRI gives me the blackface sparkle while the 5f1 brings the toothy mids. I go back and forth between running in stereo and wet/ dry. I've tried countless amps and none of them could match the complex sound of the two. Just my .02 cents.

zook likes this.
  11. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Princeton Twin Reverb.
    IMG_20200216_133954.jpg
    IMG_20200216_134242.jpg

Telecaster88, stevemc and Ricky D. like this.
  12. BlueTele

BlueTele TDPRI Member

I can highly recommend Tony Bruno amps. Listening to, and playing through a Tony Bruno is like taking your favorite record off the mono, portable "record player" you have, and playing it on a high-end "hi-fidelity" stereo. Another is Louis Electric amps - unbelievable tone and build quality. And lastly...I am just about ready to buy a Hamstead Artist 20RT or Artist 60 RT (RT = Reverb and Tremolo). I discovered them by accident just the other day. I went to their website and listened to the several YouTube videos posted by pros. U N B E L I E V A B L E tone. Staggeringly good, no...great. They are made in England and are handled by about 5-6 dealers in the U.S. so far, and most stores are perpetually sold out, but they usually arrive within 6-8 weeks after ordering I am told. This amp will give my Tony Bruno amps a run for the money. Do yourself a favor and go to Hamstead amps website. You'll be blown away. Even the people demo'ing the amps are in disbelief at what they have just heard and played.

KATT likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.