1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Digiplay, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I have an Ash AVRI '52 with OV pu's, and a Nash Ash T-63 with Lollar pu's.

I LOVE the way the AVRI '52 sounds, plays, and feels unplugged.

I LOVE the way the Nash sounds, plays, and feels unplugged 99% as much as I love the Fender.

Plugged in, the Nash sounds better.

Is that simply the different pu's?

2. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Well as players we are all attached to certain guitars more than others.

Percentage of "love" however isnt very scientific and is highly subjective. Maybe swap the pups (between the two) and see what the love meter tells you about the 2 guitars.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Digiplay likes this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Fender really set the benchmark in guitar design. They’ve never been known as having set the benchmark in pickups, no offense, y’all. But if Fender was great at pickups people would put Fender pickups in their non-Fender guitars. But the reality is there are hundreds of really great pickups that are primarily designed as mods for Fenders.
    Your ears aren’t deceiving you. Fender necks feel great. And no doubt the entire industry followed the body styles Leo made. But the reason you’ve heard of brands like Lollar and Fralin and Duncan and EMG and so many others is Leo didn’t invest a ton of R&D in pickups. That is, until he got to MM and G&L.
    I’d put Lollar pickups in a Fender any day. As it is right now most of my Fenders have Fralins.

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Yes.

5. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I have to agree. To my ear, some of the early accidents are Fender's most toneful, soulful pickups and they had their quirks.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I love Fender but the only Fender made parts on my main guitars are the pickups.
    I've used most common and a few boutique brands of Fender copy pickups.
    Fender made Fender pickups are just fine, better than many.
    Six magnets, two pieces of cardboard, and a coil of wire.

Why would any individual have magical powers assembling these things?
    Magical powers non of the winders at Fender has?

I have two Tele bridge pickups from 1972, one good coil and one was dead so I sent it to Fralin for rewind.
    The sound is indistinguishable.

Antigua Tele likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

I don't like A3 magnets in a Tele bridge, which the OV has.
    That might be enough but IDK the build specs of the Lollar.
    I also don't generally like the plugged in sound of electrics that sound great unplugged.

8. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi telemnemonics!

Here are the Lollar pu specs:

1) The bridge pu is the Special T Bridge, a flat-pole design with graded Alnico 5 magnets, and wax potted coils.
    Avg. DC: Bridge 8.0K

2) The neck pu is the Vintage T Neck, it's made with Alnico 5 magnets, and wax potted coils.
    Avg. DC: Neck 5.6K

Why do you generally not like the plugged in sound of electrics that sound great unplugged?

9. telemnemonics

So the Lollar has specs I would like if maybe a little hotter/ darker bridge but not too far, and I'm assuming the wire is 42awg. The neck is a little unusual with the low dcr but is probably Twisted Tele style 42awg rather than typical 43awg used on the Tele neck, so that would be probably very nice.Just a nicely balanced set.

The Fender OV is A5 mags and I forget maybe 7.2k of 42awg, so the coil is a little brighter but the A3 dulls the tone more than the coil brightens it, compared to the Lollar.

As far as unplugged sound, when I hear a nice unplugged sound from a solidbody it's the body resonating acoustically.
    Some players like the softer tone and attack of a resonant electric.
    I'm among those who prefer the sharper harder edge and attack of a harder less resonant body.

For years I was told that the plugged in sound follows the unplugged sound, but in terms of good = good.
    Took a lot of partscaster assemblies and observing more closely how one vs another part influenced the assembly of parts, to conclude that my favorite plugged in electrics are not very loud or warm unplugged, and the loud warm unplugged guitars have a dulled attack and a soft bass response lacking in harmonics, I at times can't stand.

10. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I have a good number of guitars, and I don't think there is any correlation between plugged and unplugged sound. It's hard to overstate how different they are. The pickup is hearing a fraction of the string movement, your ears hear the entire string, and resonances from body, most especially the neck and headstock, since in the case of a solid electric, they're less rigid than the body.

That's not to say the body doesn't matter. What I do think is true, is that certain pickup combine with different bodies to result in a sound I like better. I've swapped pickups out some guitars up to five times, and finally think, wow, that pickup set and that guitar go together real nice.

Even though I'd agree the body matters, I don't find that it follows the species of woods, I have multiple ash, basswood, mahogany and alder Fenders, and I'd say the mahogany and basswoods tend to be consistent, but the alder and ash vary a lot, and one can sound like the other. It probably has more to do with the density of the grains in that particular piece of wood.

11. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

The AVRI 62 Custom Tele pickups blow Fralins out of the water IME. I have those Fender pickups in both my teles and have no desire to shop around whatsoever.

It's all anecdotal really, and no it's not just the pickups. Are they setup the same? The whole guitar and the pickup heights?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.