1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Feb 9, 2021.

What guitar do I need?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2021.
  1. Banjitar/Guitjo

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Resonator

19 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. Baritone

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. 12-string

24 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. A pointy guitar

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Other

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Nothing. You're good.

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

I've got a set of TVJs coming for my squier strat. Should be a great combo!

LGOberean likes this.
  2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Once you’ve done it a couple of times, tuning and even restringing a 12 string is easy peasy. It really takes not much more time or effort than a 6 and they provide a great extra dimension of sound.

LGOberean likes this.
  3. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

You're missing more time to go camping. :)

teletimetx, LGOberean and tubedood like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Hey, you don't need a slide for playing a reso:

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

True that, Allen! We last camped in Cleburne State Park, when we visited family before Christmas. My Mom and siblings are in the Granbury area, except for my older brother, who's in Dallas. So it's been two months since we've camped.

My wife's work situation has changed. She had one staff midwife move back to Oklahoma, and the other wants to continue her education, so she'll be leaving in June. Consequently, my wife is back into the hands on part of the business more, even while continuing the administrative side of things. So we can't get away. Our 48th anniversary is coming up in April, and we will make time to get away on a camping trip then. But that's the soonest.

Big_Bend likes this.
  6. wevard

wevard TDPRI Member

You want to sound different, go for a 4-course Greek bouzouki. That sure sounds and looks different. I suggested 4-course because the intervals are like those in the guitar’s 1st-4th strings, but tuned down two semitones. A quick look for Manolis Xiotis on u-tube will provide great examples of the instrument’s signature sound.

LGOberean likes this.
  7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I had a 12 string that i got at 17 in 1973 and got lots of work with that instrument. I wish I hadn't sold it but had to for a water heating system when we had a recession here in 1989.

Tommy Biggs and LGOberean like this.
  8. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Who knows?

We have no idea what music you play and what you like the sound of and under what conditions. The main thing I notice is that you like multiple versions of similar instruments, hence five Teles and four dreadnoughts, but no hollowbody, semi-hollowbody, resonator, 12-string, etc. that would widen your sonic choices far more.

That’s neither good nor bad, just saying you probably should decide whether you want to focus on the particular style of music or broaden into others.

If you are strictly concentrating on being a flamenco guitarist I’d say all but one of your current choices are wrong. And if you hope to play more jazz, I’d say you forgot to list at least a couple of good choices.

You’re saying you want to widen your sound choices and asking what’s the least likely guitar you can replicate the sound of with what you already have? I’d say a hollow-body archtop, steel-bodied resonator/dobro/National, or an acoustic or electric 12-string.

LGOberean likes this.
  9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Seems like you got a lot of bases covered. Maybe run the poll on your family members who are inclined to play when they’re over at your house. Family band!

LGOberean likes this.
  10. clayville

clayville Tele-Meister

Convert one of the Teles to 5-string Open G, get a resonator... and a jazz box.

LGOberean likes this.
  11. LGOberean

That sounds like an interesting pairing of pickups to guitar. A couple of TVJs in a Strat? What switching configuration/wiring scheme are you going to use with that?

I do get that, but my mind just usually goes to slide playing when I think reso. I guess because that's mostly how I've seen/heard them used.

When I think bouzouki, I am of course (see what I did there?) aware of Greek music. But the only song I know that uses a Greek bouzouki and Greek lyrics is "RubyLove."

So my mind tends to go to Irish bouzouki. But since I don't have a bouzouki (or an octave mandolin) I use my Nashville-tuned parlor for that sound. It's just an approximation, but I think it gets the job done, more or less.

posttoastie, tery and Obsessed like this.
  12. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I went 'way out of my way (Portland Craigslist, 4-hour drive each way) to buy my 12-string Tak. It's a good guitar and everything, but it's like I have to force myself to play it. I'm just not a 12-string guy I guess.

Telling that reminds me, I bought a Takamine resonator too. I gave it to a boy from school in exchange for some work he did for me. Sometimes I wish I had that one back, but I'm probably not a resonator guy either.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  13. LGOberean

Okay, you bring up a good point. I guess I didn't talk about what music I play. I just love music, and so I play mix of genres and eras of music.

My Dad was a guitar player and a singer, my Mom harmonized with him. Dad played Western Swing, Country & Western and folk, Mom would harmonize with him but also liked Nat King Cole. So I grew up on that, and could sing along to it even before I could play it myself on the guitar. I do a lot of the music my parents did now in performing for seniors in retirement communities.

Folk Rock, '60s R&R is what I played when I took up the guitar myself in 1967. So my performance repertoire then (and still) has Folk/Rock songs by Gordon Lightfoot, Simon & Garfunkel, PP&M, John Denver, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce, et al. As for R&R, The Beatles, Cream, The Eagles, CCR, etc.

But I also like exploring history by way of music, so songs from 90-100 years ago (and then some) make their way into my repertoire as well, like "Sidewalks of New York," "Five Foot Two," "Blue Moon," "Rocking Chair," "Lazybones," "Heart and Soul," "The Nearness of You" (can you tell I'm a Hoagy Carmichael fan?), et al.

At my gigs here in South Texas, I get a lot of requests for Country music from the '90s onward. As a general rule, I don't know that music. My definition of Classic Country is Ray Price, Ernest Tubb, Marty Robbins, Jim Reeves, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, etc. Kids today think "Classic Country" means George Strait. I have a few songs recorded by Strait in my repertoire, as well as some Brooks & Dunn, that's about it.

Bill likes this.
  14. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

A Ric 12 would be a great addition, as would a nice resonator. A plain old biscuit reso with a pick up would fit you perfectly!

In the end it’s just about playing, but if you’ve got the money, why not??

Bill likes this.
  15. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

I bought a loaded 920D custom pickguard off Reverb. 3-way switch. My squier strat has terrible pickups but plays really well otherwise so I thought I'd go this route. I'll make a thread once I get it installed.

16. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Based on what you say, an acoustic or electric hollowbody to handle Nat King Cole and old jazz.

A 12-string Rickenbacker to deal with CCR and the like.

A 335 for 60s R&R.

Your electrics, dreadnoughts and parlor guitars have you covered for the rest.

17. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A Danelectro 12 string. Way cooler than a Rickenbacker.
    A bass. Everybody needs a bass. Basses are fun, cool, and will give new options to explore. A Squier or Fender VI can be capo'd to a baritone.
    A ukulele. Don't skimp, but be warned. Ukuleles are like fuzz pedals in the way they breed. You start with one...
    A Danelectro Baritone.

18. LGOberean

From my perspective, I believe I've got the hollowbody/jazz box thing covered. As I said in my OP, "I have an acoustic archtop, a 1953 MiC (Made in Chicago) Harmony Broadway model." I guess if you're not familiar with the brand and/or model, one could miss that. I didn't include pics, so again, I guess that one I listed in my OP could get missed. Here's some pics...

05-21-2020 - 1953 Harmony Broadway H-954, front & back.png 08-24-2020 - Bella, my 1953 Harmony Broadway H-954 and me - 1.jpg

As for the semi-hollow recommendation, as I also said, one of my teles is a thinline.

Logan Custom 'Logo' Thinline, 2009 Prototype - 1.jpg

I get that "semi-hollow" is usually used in reference to 335s, Dots, Sheratons, etc., but to me, a thinline tele qualifies. I've played those Gibby and Epi semi-hollows, and I don't consider them that much more "airy" than my thinline.

And I'm also quite happy playing jazz on any one of my five teles.

Bill and Tommy Biggs like this.
  19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

How about a Mandolin?

20. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

I'd tell you to grab an SG but that's not on the list of choices, so... The obvious choice here is pointy. Never too late to start your career in death metal! Jackson King V or Rhoads, even a nice Warlock could get the job done.

Obvious sarcasm. Get whatever you want. Or don't. Whatever makes you happy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.