What am I missing with Impulse responses?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by xgritzx, Oct 7, 2019.

1. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

Helix user here. I have the OwnHammer bundle of some sort. It’s got a bit of everything in it, literally hundreds of IRs. I also have a few Tone Junkie IRs I got with some Worship Tutorials presets, and the “Allure” pack that you get free from Line 6 that I think was made by the guy that builds 65 Amps. Anyway, a huge majority of them are not good! There are a couple from each OwnHammer cab/mic combo that are passable or good, and none of the (5) TJ cabs are good. The allure pack easily beats them but even if the 5/6 of those only the Fender Deluxe is what I would consider a great IR. It’s WAY above the others. Almost ALL the cabs regardless of maker seem to have a weird hollow sound that I can’t seem to tune out.

so I guess the question is, ami missing something? Or is only 1 in every couple hundred cabs good? I have no doubt that this could be 100% user error, but I’m usually not that off the mark with this kind of thing, but I am sorta new to modern modeling. But BUT all these packs I bought either sounded solid (for what it’s worth) in the samples or had reputations that preceded them, so I’m leaning towards me being the issue.

HALP!

2. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

Well that's makes two of us then. Using Space Designer in Logic, I've auditioned hundreds of IRs. The more I tried, the more perplexed I became. I kept thinking that no speaker cabinet that I've ever heard makes a sound a vacuous as this. I've also have the BluBox which has the IRs in a stomp-box, this was marginally better. Where I've ended up is, using the channel eq in Logic to achieve the result that I'm after with much more control. Cab IRs? snake-oil in my opinion.

xgritzx likes this.
  3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I've had some luck with Celestion and Rewirz IRs with various amp sims. At least good enough for a mix in a recording. With the Redwirz ones, you really have to read the instructions on how to best set it up - they include so many off axis, .5" increments away from the speaker, etc. My best tone was with a 12" Celestion Greenback in an open back cab IR, .5 inches away, SM57, midway between cone and edge. Ironically, this is my exact real-world set up live (actually it's an Eminence Private Jack 12" in an open back cab - but same vibe). To my surprise, the best sounding 4x12 closed back was a Redwirz IR of a Peavey Sheffeild loaded cab - by far. To give some context, the tone I'm looking for is an in-your-face, modern rock, heavy crunch tone with very little air (room sound). Not a scooped mid modern Metal tone.

I use amp modelling exclusively now, it has definitely arrived, so to speak. But I gotta have a real cab live - I just haven't found anything that measures up yet. I'm sure its out there, but it eludes me.

bgmacaw and xgritzx like this.
  4. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

That's a distinct possibility. Now that it's easy to get software to make IRs, every schmoe with a microphone and a handful of cabinets is probably making and trying to sell them. I'd be very surprised if a lot of those out there are being captured under the right conditions with the right equipment to get a good one. That means the crappy ones include the characteristics of the room where they were captured, some of which have no business being part of a guitar sound.

xgritzx likes this.
  5. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

For ease of use I prefer (at the moment:rolleyes:) analog cab simulation on my guitar. I built a version of the DSM Omni CabSim pedal. Really it's a box of tuned filters that dial in different cab sounds. Works for me, and really quick and easy.

xgritzx likes this.
  6. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

thanks for all the input guys. at least I dont feel like im alone in the thought.

7. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

I’m a recent owner of a Helix myself. I’m dabbling with different cabs/settings. I’ve downloaded quite a few patches that sounded pretty good using stock cabs. I have yet to try IRs. Thanks for your input!

xgritzx likes this.
  8. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

The thing to remember with IRs is that they shouldn’t sound like a cabinet in the room, they should sound like a cabinet mic’d with a particular mic in a particular position. Not all of them are going to sound great on their own. The bazillion IRs in an Ownhammer collection have more value to a studio engineer than your average guitarist. I would recommend going into the “Quick Start” folder and checking out the OH1 and OH2 mixes for starters. They are a very pleasing combination of mics that work great for most purposes. A great place to start anyway.

xgritzx and codamedia like this.
  9. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

1. How are you monitoring your Helix?
    2. When you inserted the IR... did you remember to remove the CABINET block from the amp model?
    What is your experience with cabinets, speakers, mics and mic placement? The more you know about that stuff, the most IR's make sense.

Every cabinet, every speaker & every mic sounds different. That is compounded with every 1" movement of the mic from the center to edge, and every 1" movement away from the cabinet. Now that you have hundreds of choices, multiply that with multiple microphones and cabinets :D.

That is why there are so many samples in a package... you need to make all those choices, then choose the correct IR.

EDIT TO ADD: I see that directly above my post @Verne Bunsen mentions the exact same thing I say below.... I fully agree with his assessment!

If your Ownhammer Bundle has a "quick start" folder... start with that. It's usually a "greatest hits" package of the most common mic techniques.

This is strictly preference... but I tend to like ones with "OH2" near the end of the name (421 and 121 mic mix)... the higher the number that follows, the further toward the "edge" the mic is moved - getting darker as the numbers get higher. I like them around 05... generally.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    xgritzx likes this.
  10. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

codamedia likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.