What am I looking for???

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by grapenehi, Jun 20, 2019.

1. grapenehi

grapenehi TDPRI Member

I’m traveling to see family in Canada... They live in a small logging town... I was thinking about possibly trying to find some wood to build a guitar... What should I be looking for???

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

A lumber yard in Texas :). Well they do have a bit of hard maple there.

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

If that small logging town is in the Pacific Northwest look for spruce. Sitka of course, but if you can find some Lutz (a hybrid of Engleman and Sitka) snap it up. Western Red Cedar is always nice too. Neither of those woods is on CITES so you should be able to bring back all you want.

teletimetx likes this.
  4. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

It might be helpful to know what kind of guitar you are thinking about and where in Canada you might be going. Getting raw, green lumber vs. seasoned, dried wood? Are you driving, flying, etc.

but yeah, the suggestions above seem like good ideas.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  5. grapenehi

grapenehi TDPRI Member

I’m going to be in New Brunswick, near Maine... I’m thinking either a tele or strat style...

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  6. grapenehi

grapenehi TDPRI Member

Oh, and I’m driving... As far as raw or seasoned I’m open to suggestions...

7. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I know it's only a small piece of wood we're talking about but there are restrictions on bringing wood across the boarder (same as fruit, etc).

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. grapenehi

grapenehi TDPRI Member

Yeah, I was going to ask customs about it when I get there... Hopefully I’ll be able to...

9. guitarbuilder

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I'm far from any kind of expertise, but I've read enough here to see that there's a number of things to be done with raw lumber just to keep it from warping, checking, splitting, etc. that unless you're ready and familiar with those processes, buying already seasoned lumber seems like a better choice. OTOH, I hope I'm not curtailing your own sense of adventure and every journey starts with a single step. there are others here on the forum who could certainly help out with that.

Here's a thread with info on buying seasoned lumber at lumberyards for building.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/orderi...s-from-local-lumber-yard.884211/#post-8680508

good luck with your adventure, whatever you decide.

11. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

How much money would he save by buying the wood in Canada? Is it worth the trouble? My wild guess is he might save $10 and it would be so much easier for the OP to just enjoy Canada and buy the wood in Texas or online.

Also, if saving a little money is important, I wonder if you have the tools that you will need, like a bandsaw and a router.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  12. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

In general you will need to declare it by species on the way back, have a receipt for its purchase. I don't know of any Canadian woods that are on the CITES appendix II list - those are the ones that are restricted (Appendix I are prohibited).

The only thing I can think of that you might find on the East side of Canada might be some Adirondack (red spruce) - its been pretty much logged to extinction in the US. Its not an electric guitar wood but would still be worth while putting away in your wood stash if you can find some

By the way, speaking of Customs, don't necessarily plan on buying a guitar in Canada and bringing it back. Some of the products used on most guitars today ARE on the CITES list - rosewood for fretboards, pearl inlay, maybe some other woods. Just because they didn't originate in Canada doesn't mean you can bring them into the US.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    grapenehi likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Due to the spruce and ash bugs you cannot carry wood into Maine, I guess without some sort of certification, since we must get some lumber that doesn't grow here.
    Campers driving up I-95 can actually unload firewood and Maine authorities will give them a load of local bug free wood.

Not sure if Northern borders have the same restrictions though, since those bugs are mostly South of us, and alarmingly close.
    Reports of ash borers less than 100 miles away are pretty scary for a forest state.
    We're in a quiet quarantine.

I'd agree with suggestions for maple and spruce, if you can pick some good stuff.
    How are you hauling it and how much?
    If only for electrics I'd just try to get a bunch of nice maple for necks.
    Might find some nice figured boards before the graders put AAAA's on it.
    I see hunks of cut maples for firewood full of curl all the time.
    Goes right in the woodstove.

Once those graders get ahold of it though the price of cordwood goes waaaaaaayyyyy up!

guitarbuilder likes this.
  14. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

5 kinds of maple , 2 of Birch , 3 of ash . cherry , butternut ,aspen- poplar

grapenehi likes this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Quilted and flamed maple.

grapenehi likes this.
  16. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

New Brunswick is on the east coast and flame and hard maple are what you will find. The west coast is more quilt (big leaf maple). That's the neck. For the body get some poplar.

17. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

I traveled in that area last year and did look around a bit, but did not find anything easily... hopefully you will have better luck than I did!!

18. guitarbuilder

I live in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains. I see logging trucks going by the house and helicopters removing trees once in a while. There's no shortage of wood around here. All that said, I'd rather find a nice dry piece of wood from a commercial site and pay the extra money to have them hassle with it. I'd be more interested in finding some seafood place up in Maine, but that's me. Check the local craigslist when you get there in the area.

https://maine.craigslist.org/mat/d/windham-cherry-rough-sawn-lumber/6911638099.html

https://maine.craigslist.org/mat/d/kennebunk-maple-boards/6916528171.html

19. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

I’ve seen Texas mentioned a couple times now. Is there an abundance of seasoned swamp ash to be had in Texas lumber yards? I haven’t come across it at the big chain home improvement stores.

20. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

I don't think you'll find much in the way of swamp ash native to Texas.

But, I've worked with some really beautiful Desert Ironwood and figured Mesquite from the Lone Star state ;).

They are hard and heavy, especially the Desert Ironwood.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.