What am I looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back at it

Tele-Meister
That's a good option also. I need to learn to play more gently. Maybe try the lighter strings as someone suggested.
My preference is to play the best guitar I own, fortunately at this point I don’t own anything that I don’t prefer, which means they get more even wear aside from my tele and my 330

I also try to buy used so there are already flaws and dents, and i like players over case queens

i have also gone to 9 9.5s and concentrated on playing with a lighter hand, I used to have a death grip but I find if I play lighter I have much better dexterity and more speed

good luck in your quest and another guitar is never bad

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
My preference is to play the best guitar I own, fortunately at this point I don’t own anything that I don’t prefer, which means they get more even wear aside from my tele and my 330

I also try to buy used so there are already flaws and dents, and i like players over case queens

i have also gone to 9 9.5s and concentrated on playing with a lighter hand, I used to have a death grip but I find if I play lighter I have much better dexterity and more speed

good luck in your quest and another guitar is never bad
Me too, most of my guitars were bought used.

FuncleManson

Tele-Meister
I’m playing my 75th Anniversary Telecaster so much, I’m afraid of wearing it out. Looking for something a little less valuable to gig with. I have a few HH Tele’s so don’t need that.

What should I be looking for if I wanted the following? Used is OK, willing to refret if needed.

Doesn’t have to be Fender but I don’t want Squier nor do I want to pay Suhr prices.

- Stainless frets
- Pickups similar to the Custom Shop Twisted Teles in my 75th. I’d be Ok with noiseless ones if they had the raw power of the TTs
- Body binding, belly cut
- A neck that’s closer to a Strat’s C carve
- Rosewood board
- I’d be OK with a hum or P90 in the neck

There are so many makes and models out there that I’m lost. Chapman seems to have a wide range but I know nothing about them.

Thought?

Partscaster. A bound body with a belly cut will drive the cost up some, but you should be able to assemble something with your specs for $1500 Canadian (~$1200 US), or at least close.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I literally know about a dozen guitar players who leave the good stuff at home and play out of the box Squires at gigs.

Strangely enough, they all sound just as good with a Squire as they do with a $3000 custom shop model.

How does that saying go about Indians and arrows?
What IS the saying about Indians and arrows?.......never heard that one.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I agree with the option of getting a replacement neck with stainless steel frets for your current Tele. Put the original neck aside for potential resale in the future if that's a big concern for you. I'll also echo the suggestion that you may want to modify your playing style so that you won't wear out frets so quickly.

I can understand not taking a valuable guitar out to gigs. I have a '63 Strat (player, not collector, grade) that hasn't been anywhere outside my home for about 25 years. When I play out, I use a inexpensive guitar (usually modded) or a partscaster.

There are some relatively affordable but good guitars that are close to your specs but finding a perfectly exact, while affordable, match might be difficult. You'll have better luck by narrowing it down to one "must have" feature, like stainless steel frets, and put the others in a "nice to have" bucket.

One you might want to look at is Eart. I don't know about it's availability in CA via Amazon though. Two trends you'll probably see on the lower-mid guitar market are SS frets and roasted necks since that's the big thing right now. I think you'll see some smaller, store and off brands offering these features more and more.

I'd also recommend reconsidering a partscaster with your desired specs since you should be able to put together something really nice if you shop around and watch for deals. If you don't want to do the work yourself, see if you can find a local tech who can assemble and set it up for you.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I’m firmly in the “just play your (old) guitar” camp.
I’ve had my avatar guitar’s neck since 84.
It’s seen a crazy number of miles, and in it’s (almost) 40 years, it’s been refretted 5 times.
Roughly every 8 years.
It takes me about that long to wear frets out.
I play a lot.
My point is that good instruments were made to be played, and built to last.
Work em’, brother!

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
Thanks to those who helped with some great ideas. I've asked the mods to delete the thread now that it's gone sideways. I'll be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.