What am I looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC

Friend of Leo's
Eccentric suggestion: Music Man Valentine. Very expensive new but they seem to show up for less. Stainless frets, great neck, wax & oil finish smooth as, well, you fill in the blank. Powerful single coil in the bridge, HB in the neck but with a real functional coil split. I can get very convincing tele tones out of this thing. Doesn't look like a tele but it will bark like a tele and also do some Gibson tricks with the unsplit HB. Great guitar. Not a tele.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
So, you're 'frightened' of wearing out a guitar you really like ... But are willing to pay out for another guitar even if it needs re-Fretting!

Apart from the frets and possibly tuners, what exactly do you think might/will wear out?
No problem having another guitar of course, but surely you want to 'gig' with the best guitar(s) you have ... Just cannot get my head around not doing that.
Why not just play the guitar and repair it as and when needed?
Did I say frightened? I can’t remember. That’s definitely an option. I suppose what worries me is that I’d like to still be playing this guitar 20 years from now and any damage or wear repair might change how the guitar is today.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
Play it like you stole it. Just because you only play it in Madison Square Bedroom doesn’t mean you’ll not put some wear and tear on it or maybe a ding or two
I have no idea of the value of your 75th Anniversary but, for me personally, if I was afraid to play a guitar out because of fear of damage that sucker would be gone in a heartbeat.
YMMV
About $3K or so. Do you gig with your expensive guitars? I have but every time I take it out i worry that in the chaos of a gig, it will get damaged, broken or stolen.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
After being played until you have normal wear and tear won’t it then be naturally reliced and then you will have something folks pay extra to get.
I won’t pay for a relic’d guitar. Has no value to me. Not to mention that no one will ever care that I wore it in. There’s no value in me wearing it out/in for others.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
If you buy or build another identical guitar, it will be different, perhaps in small ways, but it will not sound or play identically to the one you have. I'm offering this so you can put it into your decision matrix.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
Eccentric suggestion: Music Man Valentine. Very expensive new but they seem to show up for less. Stainless frets, great neck, wax & oil finish smooth as, well, you fill in the blank. Powerful single coil in the bridge, HB in the neck but with a real functional coil split. I can get very convincing tele tones out of this thing. Doesn't look like a tele but it will bark like a tele and also do some Gibson tricks with the unsplit HB. Great guitar. Not a tele.
My Music Man has the smoothest, most comfortable neck out of all my guitars. I’ll look into this.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
About $3K or so. Do you gig with your expensive guitars? I have but every time I take it out i worry that in the chaos of a gig, it will get damaged, broken or stolen.
Yes, I have. And if Gibson will produce the LP Standard GT w/P90s 50s model I’ll have no issue playing out with it. It’s a freaking guitar! Do you worry about driving your vehicle around because you are afraid of an accident?
If you are worried about “wearing out” a tele maybe it’s not a real Fender ;>)

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
Yes, I have. And if Gibson will produce the LP Standard GT w/P90s 50s model I’ll have no issue playing out with it. It’s a freaking guitar! Do you worry about driving your vehicle around because you are afraid of an accident?
If you are worried about “wearing out” a tele maybe it’s not a real Fender ;>)
Funny, this thread contains more snark than I thought it would. Thanks to the few of you who responded with great suggestions. I guess I kinda expected more from a Telecaster forum. I'll know better than to ask this type of question in the future.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
I’m playing my 75th Anniversary Telecaster so much, I’m afraid of wearing it out. Looking for something a little less valuable to gig with. I have a few HH Tele’s so don’t need that.

What should I be looking for if I wanted the following? Used is OK, willing to refret if needed.

Doesn’t have to be Fender but I don’t want Squier nor do I want to pay Suhr prices.

- Stainless frets
- Pickups similar to the Custom Shop Twisted Teles in my 75th. I’d be Ok with noiseless ones if they had the raw power of the TTs
- Body binding, belly cut
- A neck that’s closer to a Strat’s C carve
- Rosewood board
- I’d be OK with a hum or P90 in the neck

There are so many makes and models out there that I’m lost. Chapman seems to have a wide range but I know nothing about them.

Thought?

Protecting my $3K investment from needless wear and tear which comes from playing out and normal wear and tear from playing in. In the end, I may decide to just play the hell out of it. Right now, looking for information so I can make an informed decision.

Seems you're really looking for an excuse to buy another guitar. There's no "investment" here. That's just silly.

So I'm not just blowing hot air...
I have a nice Martin that I bought partially for sentimental reasons. I'll play it out solo for instance or open mics and stuff where it's under my control. But if I was a part of a band where it sat on a stand for instance between other songs/set I would bring a different guitar.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Schecter PT Special. The only thing it doesn't have (?) is stainless frets. I have the burst with a maple board, but they do a rosewood board in three other colors. Example link below. A great, affordable guitar and one I pick up more often than not. Happy Hunting.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
Seems you're really looking for an excuse to buy another guitar. There's no "investment" here. That's just silly.

So I'm not just blowing hot air...
I have a nice Martin that I bought partially for sentimental reasons. I'll play it out solo for instance or open mics and stuff where it's under my control. But if I was a part of a band where it sat on a stand for instance between other songs/set I would bring a different guitar.
It's really not silly. I "invested" 3K into this guitar. True, I am looking for another guitar. Maybe. An option as many suggested is to play this thing until it needs work. A fret job will be the most likely requirement in 2-3 years. Also, as I'm getting up there in years, I may need to sell off part of my collection to fund retirement expenses. So, I think keeping a valuable guitar pristine would help me get the most from them when that time comes. This guy wouldn't be sold unless something happens in retirement that requires a full sell-off.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Is OP talking about the 75th Diamond Anniversary Telecaster or the 75th Anniversary Commemorative Tele? One is $900 and the other is $2k.

I have no good suggestions other than to look for a used 75th at a good price, but I do understand his desire to keep the guitar in good shape. He never said he wants to keep it in the case, just that he doesn't want to put a lot of wear and tear on it because he intends to keep it a long time. The suggestions to play it till it's beat are typical TDPRI John comments.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
Is OP talking about the 75th Diamond Anniversary Telecaster or the 75th Anniversary Commemorative Tele? One is $900 and the other is $2k.

I have no good suggestions other than to look for a used 75th at a good price, but I do understand his desire to keep the guitar in good shape. He never said he wants to keep it in the case, just that he doesn't want to put a lot of wear and tear on it because he intends to keep it a long time. The suggestions to play it till it's beat are typical TDPRI John comments.
Yup, it's the pricier one. I paid close t $3K for it with taxes and shipping. Thanks for your support.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Yup, it's the pricier one. I paid close t $3K for it with taxes and shipping. Thanks for your support.
Sorry you feel some people aren't taking you seriously......on the interwebnets you sometimes have to take the wheat with the chaff.
Forgive me if I'm getting the wrong impression here, but much of what you have said "sounds" like you're equating "price" with "quality". Lots of different approaches and opinions, but many of us (including myself) try to judge an instrument in what we perceive as "intrinsic" value, regardless of price. We also view a guitar as a "tool"......and when we find the right one, we play it (with reasonable care) until we can't play it anymore.....then we have it repaired and then play it some more. I doubt that you can play a guitar a lot, and still keep it "pristine". (as you phrase it)
Just my opinion, of course. I wish you luck. ;)

tomasz

Tele-Holic
Funny, this thread contains more snark than I thought it would. Thanks to the few of you who responded with great suggestions. I guess I kinda expected more from a Telecaster forum. I'll know better than to ask this type of question in the future.
Hey DanglingNutslots, sorry if I contribute to the snark.. it wasn't ment like that. Truth is, I would gig the guitar I've bonded with the most, because it gives me the feel and sound I need. You also pay for the quality of it, so it is reliable, stays in tune, works as expected. I'd probably get a cheapo, like a Harley Benton for shady gigs with beer spilling all over the place. I just believe in guitars being tools, a great tool that you know, gets the job done the best

TC6969

Friend of Leo's
What's wrong with Squier?
I literally know about a dozen guitar players who leave the good stuff at home and play out of the box Squires at gigs.

Strangely enough, they all sound just as good with a Squire as they do with a $3000 custom shop model.

How does that saying go about Indians and arrows?

alex1fly

Tele-Meister
This thread would have gone a lot better if you'd just said something like "Recommend me your favorite guitars that come stock with stainless steel frets?" or whatever spec is most important to helping you narrow down your search.

While I get not wanting to gig expensive gear - I don't either - there are plenty of low-mid grade, high performing instruments out there. Literally thousands of models. Your preferences on frets, pickups, and body contours can all be done to any guitar. Heck you could mod one of your several HH Teles to have P90s, bright clucky humbuckers like WRHBs or Bluesbuckers, or even true single coils and then have a fret job and cut in body contours. Or do a build around a bound Tele body. Or go to a bunch of guitar shops and play a bunch of guitars and take one home. There's so many options.

You got snark because you rolled in here and basically said:
"I have an expensive guitar and money to burn" Well good for you, don't we all wish we had this problem?
"I want another expensive guitar but I don't want to do any research myself to find any models with the specs I want or go to any guitar shops and see what inspires me. But don't you dare recommend a Squier, because I care too much about a high-end image to even consider giving any Squier a chance. Also I have several backup guitars that I could mod or gig with but am choosing not to." OK, it helps to do some of the work yourself. Nobody on any forum can give you a better suggestion than you can give yourself on what to buy. And be aware that a lot of players love 2012-ish and beyond Squiers because not only has Squier has been making great guitars since they revamped their line to the Vintage Modifieds and Classic Vibes, they're great gigging guitars because they're easily replaceable, reliable, and solid but not attractive for thieves.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
This thread would have gone a lot better if you'd just said something like "Recommend me your favorite guitars that come stock with stainless steel frets?" or whatever spec is most important to helping you narrow down your search.

While I get not wanting to gig expensive gear - I don't either - there are plenty of low-mid grade, high performing instruments out there. Literally thousands of models. Your preferences on frets, pickups, and body contours can all be done to any guitar. Heck you could mod one of your several HH Teles to have P90s, bright clucky humbuckers like WRHBs or Bluesbuckers, or even true single coils and then have a fret job and cut in body contours. Or do a build around a bound Tele body. Or go to a bunch of guitar shops and play a bunch of guitars and take one home. There's so many options.

You got snark because you rolled in here and basically said:
"I have an expensive guitar and money to burn" Well good for you, don't we all wish we had this problem?
"I want another expensive guitar but I don't want to do any research myself to find any models with the specs I want or go to any guitar shops and see what inspires me. But don't you dare recommend a Squier, because I care too much about a high-end image to even consider giving any Squier a chance. Also I have several backup guitars that I could mod or gig with but am choosing not to." OK, it helps to do some of the work yourself. Nobody on any forum can give you a better suggestion than you can give yourself on what to buy. And be aware that a lot of players love 2012-ish and beyond Squiers because not only has Squier has been making great guitars since they revamped their line to the Vintage Modifieds and Classic Vibes, they're great gigging guitars because they're easily replaceable, reliable, and solid but not attractive for thieves.
Well, thanks for the lecture I guess. What makes you think I didn’t do any research? I did. I looked at Fender, Harley Benton, Chapman and others. Didn’t see anything that ticked all the boxes. Hence my post here. I wasn’t expecting such animosity towards what I thought the community would love to help with. This IS the Telecaster forum after all.

There are NO guitar shops where I live carrying Fender, Gibson, Squier, etc. So thanks for telling me I’m lazy. There’s one little guitar shop that has Ibanez.

Why don’t you tell me what inexpensive brand you’re not interested in so I can troll you about it?

I’ll leave this post here for a little while then I’m going to delete it and not ask for help with a guitar purchase again on this forum.

Not pissed, just disappointed. Apologies for working my ass off all my life and having some extra income for my hobby. I’ve stopped traveling and own an old car so I can do this. Do you make fun of everyone that wants to buy a more pricey guitar?

Status
Not open for further replies.