What am I looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
I’m playing my 75th Anniversary Telecaster so much, I’m afraid of wearing it out. Looking for something a little less valuable to gig with. I have a few HH Tele’s so don’t need that.

What should I be looking for if I wanted the following? Used is OK, willing to refret if needed.

Doesn’t have to be Fender but I don’t want Squier nor do I want to pay Suhr prices.

- Stainless frets
- Pickups similar to the Custom Shop Twisted Teles in my 75th. I’d be Ok with noiseless ones if they had the raw power of the TTs
- Body binding, belly cut
- A neck that’s closer to a Strat’s C carve
- Rosewood board
- I’d be OK with a hum or P90 in the neck

There are so many makes and models out there that I’m lost. Chapman seems to have a wide range but I know nothing about them.

Thought?

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Something in the Reverend line might tickle your fancy.

Greg Koch and Pete Anderson have several "Tele" type offerings.

Some other models are Tele inspired. Nice sounding and they appear well engineered.

The Sire Larry Carlton T7 is getting some good reviews. I like the Antique White with the tort guard and the roasted maple neck.

Budget?

Last edited:

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I’m playing my 75th Anniversary Telecaster so much, I’m afraid of wearing it out. Looking for something a little less valuable to gig with. I have a few HH Tele’s so don’t need that.

What should I be looking for if I wanted the following? Used is OK, willing to refret if needed.

Doesn’t have to be Fender but I don’t want Squier nor do I want to pay Suhr prices.

- Stainless frets
- Pickups similar to the Custom Shop Twisted Teles in my 75th. I’d be Ok with noiseless ones if they had the raw power of the TTs
- Rosewood board

There are so many makes and models out there that I’m lost. Chapman seems to have a wide range but I know nothing about them.

Thought?
Your budget?
When people start listing VERY specific criteria for a guitar, I always think build it yourself (every part you can imagine is already available) or get someone like Bob Logan or Ron Kirn (or any number of other makers) to do it for you......

alex1fly

Tele-Meister
Frets take years of playing to wear down. Electronics can be cleaned. Necks can be re-finished - again, after years of playing. And SS frets and body cuts and a particular neck profile doesn't exactly scream "less valuable". So what's this thread really about? :)

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire

- Stainless frets
- Rosewood board

Thought?
You could get what you want for around the same price as the Tele you don’t want to risk gigging with…………………..

Friend of Leo's
So, you're 'frightened' of wearing out a guitar you really like ... But are willing to pay out for another guitar even if it needs re-Fretting!

Apart from the frets and possibly tuners, what exactly do you think might/will wear out?
No problem having another guitar of course, but surely you want to 'gig' with the best guitar(s) you have ... Just cannot get my head around not doing that.
Why not just play the guitar and repair it as and when needed?

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Why not bond with the idea that guitars just wear with time and play the heck out of your favourite one? If it wears, it wears, you will figure it out in the right time, which is probably years ahead from today. Enjoy it:)
Play it like you stole it. Just because you only play it in Madison Square Bedroom doesn’t mean you’ll not put some wear and tear on it or maybe a ding or two
I have no idea of the value of your 75th Anniversary but, for me personally, if I was afraid to play a guitar out because of fear of damage that sucker would be gone in a heartbeat.
YMMV

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
Something in the Reverend line might tickle your fancy.

Greg Koch and Pete Anderson have several "Tele" type offerings.

Some other models are Tele inspired. Nice sounding and they appear well engineered.

The Sire Larry Carlton T7 is getting some good reviews. I like the Antique White with the tort guard and the roasted maple neck.

Budget?
I’d like to stay below $1500.00 Cdn

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
Your budget?
When people start listing VERY specific criteria for a guitar, I always think build it yourself (every part you can imagine is already available) or get someone like Bob Logan or Ron Kirn (or any number of other makers) to do it for you......
Was considering that but would rather be playing than building I think.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
Why not bond with the idea that guitars just wear with time and play the heck out of your favourite one? If it wears, it wears, you will figure it out in the right time, which is probably years ahead from today. Enjoy it:)
I’m heavy handed. I go through Fender frets in under 2 years.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
Frets take years of playing to wear down. Electronics can be cleaned. Necks can be re-finished - again, after years of playing. And SS frets and body cuts and a particular neck profile doesn't exactly scream "less valuable". So what's this thread really about? :)
Protecting my $3K investment from needless wear and tear which comes from playing out and normal wear and tear from playing in. In the end, I may decide to just play the hell out of it. Right now, looking for information so I can make an informed decision.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Agreed, play the one you enjoy playing. If you want another one like it to hang on the wall get one like it but I don’t understand I really enjoy playing this one so I don’t want to play it.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Protecting my $3K investment from needless wear and tear which comes from playing out and normal wear and tear from playing in. In the end, I may decide to just play the hell out of it. Right now, looking for information so I can make an informed decision.
After being played until you have normal wear and tear won’t it then be naturally reliced and then you will have something folks pay extra to get.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Yamaha Revstar or PRS SE Silver Sky

They may not have all the specs but they're great guitars with great prices.

I think the revstar had SS frets.

As someone else said, Ron Kirn would also be a great person to contact.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
I’m heavy handed. I go through Fender frets in under 2 years.
I was like that till recently (wearing frets way too fast). I switched to 8s on some guitars and 9s on others and it forced me to play lighter.

Try being “heavy handed” with 8s and you will see, it’s not possible. You’ll be off the fretboard or out of tune (when you press down hard they bend like mad and wander).

I am playing much lighter now and I do not see my frets wearing. It’s great. I’ll be able to move from 8s/9s back to 10s, if I want, pretty soon. Took … maybe 6 months to cure my bad habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.