What album did you play in your car on every first date when you were in your early twenties?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 9, 2019.

1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

No cassette deck in the 1978 Firebird...just AM/FM radio. In any case, the places we parked were rural and isolated...fields, hilltops, cliffs over the river, etc. Honestly, music would have just detracted from the experience.

2. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I didn’t have a car with anything but a radio, so I couldn’t play albums in the car.

But if I could get her to my apartment, I’d put on Freedom Flight by Shuggie Otis.

3. RedTele58

RedTele58 Tele-Meister

My gold '78 Trans Am with a big chicken on the hood and an 8-track tape deck.
    Meatloaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light.
    Yup. Seriously. :)

4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Sadly, didn't have a lot of first dates haha. One sticks out, though. I played some songs from Momentary Lapse of Reason. My date didn't really get it. She said she was into whatever butt rock bands were around at the time (Poison?). We didn't have a second date.

5. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

I had a 76 Trans Am with an 8 track. Too funny.

6. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

So sweetly nostalgic. "First dates". Lol. So old fashioned. Was life really so Fast Times At Ridgemont High in the 70s and 80s?

You had to "soundtrack" a date?

7. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

And '90s. You actually had to put in a little work to impress girls in the days before Tinder. Daddy issues were still a thing, but not as widespread.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hypnosis tape

Nothing wrong or inappropriate , just “He’s not a loser, He’s not a loser,”over and over and over...

RetroTeleRod and drlucky like this.
  9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

In my early twenties I didn't have a car, but I did have a wife...

10. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I was already on the road full time by 18.... so I have to go back to my latter teens (16-17) to play in this thread.

John Cougar's American Fool.... Hurt So Good, Jack and Dianne, Hand to Hold On To..... I lived those songs in real time!
    Bryan Adams 2nd album "You Want it You Got It" was a regular in the cassette deck as well... back when he sang more than ballads.

11. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

when it comes down to making out...whenever possible...put on side 1 of led zeppelin 4

thats point 5 of the 5 point plan!

drlucky and Mexitele Blues like this.
  12. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Meister

Janis Joplin's Pearl was stuck in the tape deck of my Vanagon for about 18 months when the eject button broke off. Janis was my wingwoman.

[​IMG]

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  13. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

8-track City 'till '83. Bought a nice Clarion cassette deck for my new Ranger pickup.

The 8-Track was either a Craig or Sparkomatic. Whatever was on sale that week.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Move Over ! What a fantastic song. That wAs the band she needed/deserved all along.

drlucky and Mexitele Blues like this.
  15. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

My '68 Plymouth Grand Fury III only had an AM radio, until 1974, when I installed a track mounted cassette player. Less than a year later, a drunk rear ended me at a stop light and totalled my car. While I was sorting out the insurance claims, law suit, etc. and looking for a new car, my buddy asked me if he could borrow my cassette tapes for a while. I said sure. A few weeks later, someone broke into his car, ripped out the car stereo as well as my tapes. So now I had a car cassette player with no car and no tapes.

16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'd say the vast majority of my first dates did not involve anyone riding in my car.. this is some kind of quaint older folk from the hinterlands type of thing.

I started dating in the 90s.. didn't own a car till right around my 22nd birthday, so there was no car stuff going on in HS and college.. in HS I would borrow the car, but couldn't recall putting much on other than the radio. I had one GF for > a year in HS and we definitely drove around a lot but it would have just been radio, the car had a cassette deck and I had very few cassettes at that point, I had moved onto CDs in Jr. High.

In college I didn't own a car, and anyone I was dating lived within walking distance.

In the early 2000s I went on tons of first dates.. no one was picking anyone up in the car in that era in the places I lived, sounds like a great way for a woman to get kidnapped or something. First date would have been meeting up at a coffee shop/restaurant/bar and you travelled separately.

My wife lived < 1/4 mile from me when I met her, so I also don't really remember us spending a lot of time driving around early on. She was nuts though, we went sailing on one of our very first dates, I've never owned a boat but was in a sailing club at the time that had a big fleet of boats. I got her pretty seasick on the way home sailing downwind and yet she came back for more.

17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Urge Overkill... Girl you'll be a woman soon

18. Vitadog

Vitadog Tele-Meister

Roxy Music - Avalon

darkwaters likes this.
  19. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Amazing !!! My wife of 47 years and I used to play the Moody Blues Nights in White Satin 8 track when we were out for an evening. Must be a California thing !!

rad1 likes this.
  20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I didn't choose anything. I let them pick the music for the first date. It was part of the vetting process. "Choose wisely my dear, choose wisely lest it should become a very short evening. " :twisted:

Cheap guitar guy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.