1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigMoney, Jun 24, 2017.

1. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

NOBODY is ready to be a parent. But it's wonderful. Also, there's an entire industry built on selling prospective parents junk they don't need. Don't spend $400 on a changing table, you'll never use it. You'll be on the floor napping and you'll just change them while you're down there.

You don't have to be sober all the time, but pay attention to the responsible stuff as well, and go after that with equal aplomb.

Marry someone kind. You're gonna need that. Almost everything else is secondary.

If something feels off in your life, ask yourself whether you've been playing much music lately.

If you go to school, do the readings every day and figure out why the prof asked you to read them. Then ask a ton of questions in class. It's your education- it's the part of life where your job is to learn everything you can, don't waste it trying to look cool to people you will never see again. Learn stuff. In a few years the job market will be flooded with people with degrees that they got by grade inflation and whining. Knowing what you're doing will be the ultimate job skill.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Don't listen to old farts wearing cargo shorts.

3. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Buy a second hand Dual Rectifier and build yourself a twin cab.
    Go home with the redhead.
    One day you'll meet an amazing woman so don't stress too much about that stuff.
    Find a way to get into the property market.

Henry and Ex-riverman like this.
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Seriously, when faced with a difficult choice, do the harder thing.

Don't lie, cheat or steal.

Be kind.

A full life is the outcome of countless coin tosses. It all evens out in the end. If it's looking great now... don't get complacent. Happiness is somewhere in the middle.

Saving early beats saving a lot later. Live below your means. Earn it before you spend it. Do the job before you expect to get paid for it.

Steve 78 likes this.
  5. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

Dream On
    It's My Life
    You Can't Always Get What You Want
    Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Everybody Hurts
    Live Like You Were Dying
    Let It Be
    Don't Stop Believin'
    Don't Give Up
    I Won't Back Down
    Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

Electric Mud, Steve 78 and studio like this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Just cataloging my own mistakes. ;):D

7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh yeah, now you tell us!!!! :lol:

Henry and studio like this.
  8. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

However...that X wife gave me 2 beautiful children.

9. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Zen baby! That's like the perfect answer for a guitar forum eh!

10. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

"I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes".
    Henry David Thoreau

You rarely need the best of or a new anything, if someone tells you "it's essential to the job" make sure they are showing you appropriate coin. Most things in life can be covered by the equivalent of a MIM Standard & a PV Bandit. If a signed touring act (or the equivalent) lays a six figure contract on you, by all means live large, other wise keep on keeping' on. If they insist question your value to them, do that want your skills? or someone they can boss around & take advantage of.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

12. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

drink less, it's ok to be single for more than a week and don't sell that 57 strat for $300.

cactusrob and Steve 78 like this.
  13. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Use credit, don't abuse it. Others will say to pay cash for everything, and never borrow. But credit is important. One day you'll want to buy a home, a car, or a loan to start a business. If you don't have a good history using credit, these things will be much harder to get. Never spend more than you have, but use a card for shopping, and pay the card in full each month. Never succumb to the urge to buy something you don't have the cash for just because you have a credit card with a high limit. Not having enough credit some years led to me missing out on financing for a deal which would have made me more than $1 million. Since then, I have cultivated my credit carefully. I can apply for any card, or for any kind of loan, and I know I will be approved.

Don't spend money, invest it. Never buy a new car. For the cost of a new car, you can get a restored classic car, which, if you shop for carefully, and maintain carefully, you can sell for at least what you paid for it. If you like guitars, you can find older guitars for less than what they are worth. For fun, I buy MIJ guitars here in Japan, and export them to Europe. I make about $100 per guitar. Not only do I get to buy and play some really cool guitars, but I make money doing it. This money allows me to buy a few very nice guitars for myself, like the new Todd Krause Strat I showed off in another thread.

Keep yourself clean. Think of the consequences of your actions. Every person's life is the sum total of choices that they have made up to now. People who make good choices are going to be better off than those who don't. I have relatives who have died of alcoholism, complications from smoking, endured drug addiction problems, and/or staying on the right side of the law. Though they liked to blame others for the difficulties they faced in life, in the end, it was their choice.

Do not put things off. There are two things you can spend, time and money. You can always get more money, but you can never get more time. Time is far more precious than money, and should not be wasted. Use and enjoy every moment fully. Work smart, learn about people and the world, travel and do things. Each day should be better than the day before. Each day you should be a little smarter, a little wiser (being smart is not the same as being wise), and a little wealthier. If each day was the same as the day before (or worse), you are doing something wrong. Life is about growing and learning, the moment you stop growing (mentally, physically, or spiritually) is the moment you start dying.

The old saying that "You can be anything you want to be" is not exactly true. You are probably not going to be an NBA star, a Nobel Prize winner, or President of the USA. But anyone can live a productive and comfortable life. Anyone can start and own a business, anyone can get an education, anyone can have money. But just because people can do something doesn't mean that they will. The world is full of Babe Ruths who never picked up a baseball, and Einsteins who never went to school, and instead of being what the could have been, they ended up washing cars, cutting grass, or driving buses. There are people who do, and people do don't. It's better be one of the former than the latter.

Skyo, stnmtthw and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  14. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

Don't just dream it, do it.

15. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Try to figure out what will make you happy earlier rather than later. Have back up plans too.

I see the "be kind/marry kind" advice being given. I couldn't stress this enough. The things I just got done going through with my ex makes me think my heart will stop. I thought her kind of cruelty was only in movies or books. I'm so grateful we didn't have kids, but I love hers with everything I had.

Exercise in the sun & be happy.

Music. Always.

Have fun & don't be so damn hard on yourself.

16. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic

Always be curious and deliberately put yourself in situations you might not necessarily be comfortable with. If all you do is look for comfort, you'll only find what you expect. Learn how to learn and never stop.

thegeezer and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  17. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Don't get married until you're 40.
    Learn to finger pick from the start.

bender66 and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  18. thegaijin

thegaijin Tele-Meister

Spend as much time as possible with people who love you.

Get really good at something. Anything that spins your wheels.

Punch above your weight.

Find the right woman and have lots of kids.

Honest Charley likes this.
  19. JORear

JORear Tele-Meister

1) Less drinking in college and more going to class.
    2) Petro Engineers bring in the big bucks. (Read #1 again)
    3) Finish college (Read #1 and #2 again)
    4) Max the credit cards on Mine that Bird to win the Derby in 2009.

Most importantly
    Call your friend for help the night before, so he wouldn't have been on that road.

20. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Don't trust those who tell you that they have your best interests in hand. Had you followed your gut (and possibly belted those that deserved it) you'd have saved a good six months in grieving a lost opportunity.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.