1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What adhesive to use to attach paisley paper to body?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Kloun, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

I am going to be doing a jazz bass body in black paisley. Want it to look like this:

[​IMG]

I will be using gift wrap paper with a paisley pattern, because I like the pattern and color. This is it:

[​IMG]

The paper itself has no adhesive backing, so I will need to use my own adhesive. What would be the recommended adhesive to attach the paper to the body. I am particular concerned that it can be applied evenly so there won't be any bumps or wrinkles when I attach the paper. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Is this how paisley is applied? It seems destined for failure, though I admit to knowing nothing about paisley finishes. Something like a paisley vinyl wrap seems a lot more fool-proof, since you're not opposed to wrapping the body anyway.

Boreas likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't know. But it might be a problem applying it to a black body. It may really darken the paper. Perhaps apply it to a white background first?

4. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

I will be applying it to a bare body with sanding sealer applied. This is how it was originally done in 1968.

See: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/original-1968-69-paisley-paper.1042357/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In 1968 Fender used a product called "Cling Foil" which was what was used to line shelves and drawers. The paper had adhesive to it. It is no longer made, but it's the same principle and I just need to use adhesive to attach. Once the paper is attached I will use black paint to outline a sunburst on the body then top it off with clear nitro. Just want to figure out what to attach paper to body with.

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  5. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Very cool. Thanks for the history lesson! It's a shame you can't find something that has the adhesive pre-applied. I feel like oversaturating the paper or the body with adhesive could really botch the entire project. It sounds like you know what you're doing though.

6. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

these guys use fabric with great results. You'll have to search more of their videos for how they finish them.

Wound_Up, Skydog1010 and Kloun like this.
  7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That fabric video is great. I was thinking of doing a body with denim-look fabric.

8. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

Actually they do have specialized decals with adhesive already on them.

https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/guitar-making-supplies-c83/paisley-pattern-body-decals-c52

It's just I don't like the patterns that they have available and I don't think it would work with a black sunburst finish. The stuff they have would look good for other colors, but not really black. It's also alot pricier than using gift wrap.

9. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I cant see why a thin smear of PVA on the wood wouldn't work?

10. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

I found this video from the video that Dan linked. It appears to be what I was looking for. Thanks!

Skydog1010 and Danb541 like this.
  11. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't think there will be an easy answer without experimenting. Depending on the solvents in the adhesive, it could easily cause the ink in the paper to bleed together.

They do make adhesives for attaching prints to posterboard before framing. I believe it is sold in sheets and activated with heat. You may want to speak with someone who does framing and ask them about mounting paper. It would also give you a brighter background than the wood in the guitar.

Peegoo likes this.
  12. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Spray Photomount by 3M. Coat both surfaces for a permanent bond. As an alternative, you can take the body and pre-cut paper to your local picture frame shop (like Michael's) and they can dry mount in their press. The adhesive they use is sheet adhesive which is pressed flat and heated for a permanent bond. They will charge the same as photo/poster of the equivalent size.

Kloun likes this.
  13. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Kloun likes this.
  14. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Tele-Meister

Use fabric. Texas Toast Guitars on YouTube has vids showing exactly how they do theirs. This Yngwie Malmsteen Strat came out great! They even did a burst on the headstock to match. They use titebond to glue down the fabric. Then seal it with sanding sealer, I think.

He applies the fabric to the Yngwie Strat in this vid below

Edit: I see someone shared one of Matt's vids already. Nice job @Danb541

20210422_233412.jpg 20210422_233512.jpg
    20210422_233830.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Kloun likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.