What about bass, then?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by soul-o, Jan 12, 2020.

1. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

Confession: I'm primarily a very skilled bass player who has been making a living as a decent guitarist for the past 15 years. Shhhhhh, don't tell all the really great guitarists in Boston. How many of you guitar pickers consider yourself good bass players as well? Obviously, it's two different things with some notes in common. Do most of you guys feel the difference when you switch over?

Squittolo, Jakedog, rolandson and 2 others like this.
  2. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am not very skilled in either, but I really enjoy playing both. I would probably starve if I had to make a living with either. Like you said though, there are notes in common, but they need to be approached completely differently. For the longest it was really hard to not over play with the bass, but very satisfying when I hit it right.

aging_rocker and mkdaws32 like this.
  3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I play bass on occasion now, but I played it primarily for a span of about 10 years, due to the lack of being able to find good and reliable bass players. I was primarily a lead guitarist before that period, as I am now. But TBH, I enjoy playing bass as much as guitar, and that period where I played for an extended period of time really taught me to be a bonified bass player and not a “guitar player playing bass”, if you catch my drift! I approach both very differently, especially in a live band context.

Jim622 likes this.
  4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I played bass with a band for five years. I guess I was okay at it - the band got signed to Giant Records while I was in it.

I still play bass on my original demos, but all things being equal I'm way happier playing guitar.

- D

brookdalebill, Jim622 and mkdaws32 like this.
  5. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

My first instrument was the bass, and even though I found it fulfilling and became somewhat proficient at it, I always kind of looked at it as an interim...like at some point I needed to “graduate” to the guitar. I thought guitar players looked cooler and guitar stuff looked cooler and there just seemed to be more possibilities.

I ultimately did pick up the guitar, but I never achieved the same level of confidence in my ability. I understand now that bass playing is a skill all it’s own and is very much just as challenging and open to possibility as the guitar. I often pick up and play bass for a bit, rediscover how much fun it is, and find myself thinking: “I should just sell all my guitar gear and buy bass stuff again...”

It would certainly be a hell of a lot easier to find a band to be in:lol:

trouserpress, Jim622 and mkdaws32 like this.
  6. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I originally wanted to play bass (while at school way back in the last century) as all my mates were learning guitar.
    I couldn't find a decent cheap bass so bought a guitar.
    I eventually got a bass so play both at home but guitar on stage.
    I tend to play bass like a guitar, like Lemmy, Peter Hook, Steve Severin (Banshees) & use fx with it.
    And, after all, a guitar is just a bass with too many strings.....
    Woooaaahh, INCOMING!!!!
    Take cover!

Fiesta Red likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I play, and love to play both.
    I’ve played guitar since 1967, and played bass since 1997.
    Bass is my “new” instrument.;)
    I play guitar on 95% of my gigs, but I’m blessed with a regular bass gig.
    I play both (not simultaneously;)) with about half of the people that hire me.
    I try to be a good, simple bass player.
    I try to be the kind of bass player I would want on a gig.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My goal is to surpass my wife, the bass player, in skill, which I believe is attainable, but I will never have the timing that she has, so I know I was born not to be a bass player. I enjoy the bass and with many to choose ... err ... borrow, I have learned a lot developing my own basslines for my originals. It is a great diversion once a week for me. However, if she is around when I play bass, it probably could be considered spousal abuse.:oops:

Jim622 likes this.
  9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I play bass better than guitar....so.....shhh!

Moriarty likes this.
  10. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I started playing bass age 13 because no one else in the neighborhood would. For a long time I was either a bassist who played decent guitar, or a guitarist that played decent bass...

Nowadays my gigs are 75-25 bass...and I’m good with that.

11. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I love the bass. I always "heard" the bass first. even as a kid I keyed into the bass. I'm a bass player at heart. I also play pretty good jazz guitar. This may be hard for some people to believe but if you offer me a gig in a band on either guitar or bass I'd take bass.

12. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I just started playing bass on the side after 35 years of guitar. I was surprised how many bass licks were ingrained in my head from the music I love.

I feel like a new and different person playing bass. It makes me appreciate the mix of instruments in a song.

trev333 likes this.
  13. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I like playing bass with others. By myself, I prefer guitar.

I don't have a lot of friends. So I play more guitar than bass.

That said, I'm ok enough on bass that I could fit in most original and cover band contexts, if I wanted to. :oops: Absolutely nothing fancy, though. Can't do slap or solos.

14. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I love adding bass lines to my songs. Filling the spaces and adding flavor. I've always been a guitar player first, but I've been playing a lot more bass, keys and programming drums in the last couple years. I love it all.

15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's all about that bass....

But seriously, I've wanted to try bass. I'm not sure I hear the groove right though. The few times I have tried, I find I feel lost and not in the groove. Go figure, I know the notes, I know the notes not to play. But I just seem clumsy on the bass and not playing that space the bass needs to be. Too long a guitarist I think.

What I don't know is if I actually played it for a while, would I kick in to "Bassist mindset"?
    The next problem would be I can't hear the bass in a band mix playing right in front of it.

16. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I own a bass, I've played bass in bands in the past, but I'm primarily a guitarist. I also double on keys. I think when I was playing bass in a band thirty years ago, I was pretty good, but not so good now because I don't practice.

17. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I took up bass following an injury that ended my performance career. I became proficient with scales. The bass clef was sorta weird at first, and I really needed a short scale instrument starting out.

Then, I played a couple of times with others and learned something important: Bass players have to know how to count. Really count. Not like horn, cello, and guitar players count.

I gave up playing bass in public.

(Hangs his head in shame and leaves the room)

18. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was a bass player first. I’ve done plenty of work as one, especially road stuff. Here at home I almost never do bass stuff. I only ever get guitar calls. It’s ok with me, I love them both. But I find myself missing playing bass a lot, and really, REALLY enjoy it when I get to do it.

I don’t really have an issue switching back and forth, my bass playing now is just generally rusty.

19. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I’ve played bass in bands forever. When it comes to guitar I can play 2 kinds of music-Country and Western. On bass I seem to be much more versatile. At any rate it helps to get you playing opportunities to play both bass and guitar so it has worked great for me.

20. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

P bass.JPG Phead.JPG In addition to guitar,pedal steel, & banjo, I play bass; about 5-10 gigs per year.
    I am one of the few guitar players in this town that know what BASS means...most here overplay. Here is my '74 P-Bass; I play through a Rumble 200

Jim622 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.