What about a clean boost or eq pedal direct into P.A. ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Thin white duke, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Holic

Hi everybody, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to use a clean boost or an eq pedal instead of an amp simulator for going sytraight into the mixer.

I will buy a d.i. box with cab emulation, probably the Mooer micro d.i. but before that i want to use a pedal to adjust the tone just in case, because the Mooer has the cab sim i don't need another from the preamp i think, that's why i tought about a clean boost or eq

I want a very clean pedal and i need one with the dimensions of the Mooer because i have just a little space left in the pedalboard.

There is not many Fender Twin amp in a box and probably a clean boost will do the trick, also i don't want to spend too much.

The Joyo American Sound it's just too big.

Thanks a lot.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Make sure it is xlr direct.
    But, Ya..crappy unless you have
    a good mixing buddy. There
    are a lot of pre mixer amp emulators
    out there. Are you going to drive it
    and go clean.. Tonebone, tech21 makes some
    and others do and prices go up.
    Wish you luck.

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The problem is a PA is designed to amplify full range sources. The electric guitar isn't. The amp is part of the tone producing scheme. If you want very clean or acoustic properties then you'll get them. But the guitar preamp, pickups, way the guitar has evolved sort of put you on a loser - an emulator like a modeller gets around this by tuning output to limit the undesirable bits.

Thin white duke and bblumentritt like this.
  4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's

I've tried going direct to a mixer before, and it sounded awful.
    I've tried an EQ pedal, then going to a mixer before, and it sounded awful.
    I haven't tried a mini DI.
    I have used a Behringer Ultra-G DI, which has some sort of cabinet emulation ( claimed to be 4x12 ) and it sounded pretty good. Certainly eminently useable.
    I have used an H&K Red Box DI, which sounded very good indeed, although that was amp --> Red Box --> load box.
    I used to fairly regularly use the Behringer between the amp and cabinet to avoid mic'ing up. Always worked very well.
    I have recently tried the American Sound direct to mixer, and via the Behringer. I think I prefer it via the Behringer, but that may well be down to impedance matching and other wibbly techie stuff. I think the transformer has something to do with it.

The DI doesn't need to sit on your board. Once set, you don't need to stomp on it, so it can sit along side.

Go for something that uses XLR rather than unbalanced and you're good to go. A pukka DI is one of those things that once you start using one, you wonder how you managed beforehand.

5. Thin white duke

Hi thanks a lot, i'll just use clean sounds with the duo guitar-voice, only a coulple of songs i'll use a bit of crunch.
    The Mooer d.i. has xlr out and speaker sim.
    I was thinking of a Mooer pure boost to shape the eq a bit before the d.i.

6. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I've done it, and it sounds kind of lifeless.

TheTruth likes this.
  7. Thin white duke

Hi,thanks, my idea was an eq or clean boost pedal and a d.i. with the speaker sim. after that, i play with a semihollow guitar and all i want is a clean sound for the duo, nothing really complicated.

8. Thin white duke

:lol::lol: I know it's not very exciting bur it's very practical and for a duo could be ok.

9. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

My experience is that there are only 2 situations where going direct to the board works well. One is to record bass, the other is for acoustic guitar equipped with onboard goodies. I am sure others have had varying degrees of success with different methods.
    On a related note, worship teams have done some pretty remarkable things in the area of stage volume & isolation. There is much that has been written about it, & will leave you to research at your leisure.

Thin white duke likes this.
  10. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

If you don't have room for a Joyo american sound you may be able to fit in one of these;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078WL82CJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

upload_2019-6-17_13-44-10.png

The Donner Sweet Juice Preamp pedal, simulates a 65 Twin or Orange AD30. The cab sim can be turned on or off. I bought one last year for about £30, but they seem to be unavailable at the moment on Amazon, so don't know if they are still on the market. I gave it a quick go when it arrived, but due to other pressures have not had chance to try it in anger. They also do the Green Land, which simulates a Bassman and Marshall JTM45.

Keefsdad likes this.
  11. Thin white duke

That looks nice, thanks a lot....

12. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I got the

13. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I have a Mooer Micro DI that I've used direct to PA before and sounded great with my Telecaster, for cleans only. So it should work for you. It also has a boost as part of it.

14. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

I have done this with good results with a duo -- playing electric with a singer/acoustic guitarist. It works really well because you can control the volume and dynamics compared to the acoustic much easier than using an amp on stage. I have found it doesn't work for me with a band. For a compact all-in-one solution the Zoom Multi-Stomp has worked for me. You get amp sim, reverb, chorus, delay -- everything. Con is it's menu driven and it's hard to adjust on the fly. I think one of the larger Zoom pedals would be easier to deal with on stage. Don't scoff. It sound's pretty damned good. I like the Tech 21 California blonde but you've said it's too big but you can put together a little pedalboard with reverb and whatever that's much easier to dial in on the fly. That's what I use now for exactly this purpose. I do think you will be happier with an amp/cab sim that emulates the amp of your choice.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  15. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

My Tech 21 Blonde sounds good straight into a PA. I've read nice things about all their Character Series pedals.

Thin white duke likes this.
  16. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

An amplifier is a pretty simple device. Gain & EQ... the complexity comes with the various stages, the interaction of the EQ and of course with a tube amp - the tubes themselves change character as they are pushed beyond limits... in particular, first they compress, then they overdrive, EQ curves shift as they transition.

IMO... if you have a good cabinet simulator, you can shape the tones effectively with any combination of the following - depending on your needs.
    1. Light gain overdrive. You can keep this generic or use an amp-in-the-box pedal to get you closer to a Marshall/Vox/Fender tone
    2. EQ or Clean boost.... optional depending on your needs.
    3. Compressor.... optional... it is something I gently add to mimic the FEEL of a tube amp that is being pushed so I can get consistency with the feel at any volume.
    If I had three boss pedals (OD-3, CS-2/CS-3, GE-7) and a good cabinet simulator I would have no problem making it work going direct... and it would sound very good. IMO, the cab simulation is what makes that possible.

17. Thin white duke

That's what i tought, i think an eq pedal it's better than a lite overdrive, thanks a lot, very helpful....

codamedia likes this.
  18. Thin white duke

Thanks, i agree, the Zoom multi stomp menu it's not so handy to use on the fly and in my board i have already a Boss ms-3 and a line 6 m9 so what i need it's just a simple d.i. and amp. sim. or maybe i'll buy again a Zoom g3n that i sold 2 months ago :lol::lol::cry: and i'll bring that for the duo situation.

bluebirdrad likes this.
  19. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

If you are after nothing but clean tones, yes - you will get more mileage out of an EQ. The light overdrive helps when looking for a grittier tone... and amp on the edge of breakup. It all depends on your needs.

20. Thin white duke

Well i'm about clean mainly, i get some overdrive from the pedals that are placed before the d.i. and the preamp or eq

codamedia likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.