What a Surprise! (GC Content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Paul in Colorado, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My bass player and I had lunch in the same shopping center as GC so we decided to visit after we ate. It was a pleasant experience. The sales folk were friendly and engaged us in conversation without trying to push any purchases on us. They weren't pushy but let us know they were there if we needed them. The store was well stocked and clean. One thing I found odd was that there were Epiphone acoustic guitars but no Gibson's.

Bass player bought some strings for his electric guitar and I just looked around. Heck. I might even come back some time. I know GC gets a bad rap, and yes, I've been as critical of them as anyone, but it made me feel good to see at least some kind of turn around.

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Lots of good buying experiences at my local GC’s.

JL_LI, Ironwolf and Hawking like this.
  3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I just saw the other thread about GC and Sam Ash. I think it comes down to the attitude of the folks working there. I really liked the ones I met today.

Shuster, JL_LI, Ironwolf and 3 others like this.
  4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Its all about the management and the way they motivate the staff.

5. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

One thing that drives me crazy about chain stores is that they'll go for the Lowest Common Denominator
    in their hiring practices because they're minimum wage gulags...consequently they always have some low forehead D-Bag with a condescending attitude for whom shaving is not a daily routine quite yet working on his David Spade SNL chops.

I'm glad for You that You had a good experience there.

As for me National Brick & Mortar Music Chain Stores rank just above a Surfing School in Wellfleet Massachusetts...:eek:

"You were on The Indianapolis?" -Hooper

6. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Lunch hour during the week is probably the better time to go, kids are at school most others are at work. So it’s probably a calmer chiller environment for the employees. And as bad a rep as they get, the social aspect of their job is not one I envy.

JL_LI and Ironwolf like this.
  7. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

My local GC treats me good. Every time I go. I can’t ask for more :)

JL_LI, Ironwolf and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Never had a problem with GC.

9. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

String Tree, Shuster and Ironwolf like this.
  10. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I like the guys at my nearest GC.
    Friendly
    Helpful
    I know what to expect when selling and the return policy is more than fair.
    I have ordered from stores across the country and they are helpful. YMMV.

11. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic

Never had a problem with GC

12. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

my biggest problem with GC at this point...they don't carry much depth in inventory. I went there to buy a wireless...they had one model. It was double the price of the one I wanted. Of course they said the obligatory "we can order it for you"....

well....I can order it too. I go to the physical store because I want it now. Plain and simple.

Has happened with pedals...amp stands...etc. Drives me crazy.

13. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

Which GC?
    The last time I was in the Westminster store the inventory was pretty sad.
    The staff was nice though.
    I haven't been to the Denver store in a few years.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have no complaints about GC.
    I do miss some of the smaller shops that big box including Amazon put out of business, but GC is still brick & mortar, which is cool.

Because I don't like the demise of brick & mortar in favor of Amazon, Sweetwater etc, I do not buy from businesses that have no actual retail locations.

I would say I'm boycotting Amazon, but it seems many almost worship the growing monopoly, and I want to be popular!

15. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

I have 2 GCs within a 30 min drive of the homestead.
    They both have a fairly decent staff of which
    I've never really had a problem with other than the fact that I always know more of what I'm talking about than they do, and that doesn't bother me because I'm older and generally more experienced. But as someone already mentioned above, with little exception they NEVER have in inventory what I'm interested in! Yes - "We'll be glad to order it for you." just doesn't cut it with me as I have access to a thing called the "internet" maybe you GC guys have heard of it?
    Every time I go to one, I pretty much always walk away asking myself when I'll learn to stop wasting my gas and time.
    I do realize that it's impossible to stock everything, but I'll go to their website first to see if it's (maybe, possibly) something they carry, "Ooh look, they do now stock that D'Angelico that sparked my interest in that YT video demo!"
    Only to get a there to find they have 1 D'Angelico that I'm not wanting, it's got a bazillion greasy fingerprints all over it and strings that need changing. They've pretty much lost all my business except for strings to Sweetwater.

16. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

G.C. is okay here, I just watch where I'm walking when I'm there;)

17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I make it a point to watch my Back when I shop GC.

I never see the same person twice.
    High employee turnover tells me everything I need to know.

18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The inventory thing is a bit of a problem. I don't know how bricks and mortar can compete with Internet when it comes to
    being able to quickly get just about any variant of whatever you're looking for.

I heard GC has realized this and is moving towards smaller stores with more focus on service and lessons. Probably makes
    sense. Whatever inventory they do decide to maintain has to be carefully chosen to have a high turnover rate. You want something
    really standard such as D'Addario XLs in 9s or 10s? They'll have them. Want some fairly special guitar strings? No dice.

Seems like their used gear and the ability to move from one store to another is a great niche for them. But it might be hard for them
    to make much money on used gear even given the fact that they buy used gear at rock bottom prices. You need to move a lot of
    inventory to pay the rent, utility bills, salaries, liability insurance, etc., etc., and how much used gear do people really buy
    through GC?

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

People like to complain. Then others like to pile on.

Thanks for sharing. Too bad you were suprised.

Logic tells me that were they as bad as “reported” on the webz, they would have disappeared long ago. It’s hard for even good, scaled retail businesses to survive, let alone bad ones.

20. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My Home Depot (see that thread) is right next to My Guitar Center, so the other day when I went to HD for wood stain I of course had to tempt fate at GC (i.e., hoping I wouldn't find a cheap guitar I like but don't need and can buy).

Fate was kind, no fixer-upper used guitars in stock, but they did have a used Danalectro "Hash Browns" flanger for $19...my new toy!

Employee, um I mean "associate" turnover at that GC is not too bad, I've seen some of the same faces there for years now, plus of course always new ones. A young lady who I previously didn't think would last was still working there, I was happy for her. I think the ones who last are the ones to watch out for! They must know all the survival tricks.

MMV...A few years ago shortly after that store opened (it's relatively new), I jammed with a guy who was among the first hires there; he had all great things to say about the work environment, the pay structure, the company etc.

Flash forward a year later...he couldn't say a single good thing about GC... "I couldn't get out of that ripoff place fast enough!"

Sadly, another "mom & pop" music store just closed here after something like 50 years as a pillar of local music... GC must be licking its lips, there's not much left for guitar lovers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.