What a hard tough honor.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
One of the tremendous people I've met through volunteer work has a bad cancer situation and just invited 3 of us to join him for what might be his last bike ride. It's very touching to be in that circle of people but it will be hard.

____ cancer. Someone else tremendous I know just passed away - a woman who was physician dedicated to at risk kids. My wife's surviving but didn't deserve what she's gone through. Just ____ you cancer.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
It is tough losing friends. Be glad you are getting the chance to do a last enjoyable event with him. Hope it's a great day for a ride. I'm sure you will all make it a special time~

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
One of the tremendous people I've met through volunteer work has a bad cancer situation and just invited 3 of us to join him for what might be his last bike ride. It's very touching to be in that circle of people but it will be hard.

____ cancer. Someone else tremendous I know just passed away - a woman who was physician dedicated to at risk kids. My wife's surviving but didn't deserve what she's gone through. Just ____ you cancer.
I lost my oldest son to cancer I know how difficult a time that saying goodbye can be. Once on the golf course at the club house, we were told that a fellow was playing his last round of golf ever with his three favorite buddies and would be playing in front of us.

When we got to hole ten, it was kind of backed up, because there was quite a long carry over water to reach the fairway, which often resulted in some replays from the tee. My golfing buddy knew the guy who was playing his last round, and it was pretty hard on him watching things unfold. When the man started to hit, he removed a bottle from his pocket and took a pretty good pull on it. My buddy said that bottle has opium in it, he's only supposed to use a little bit when he can't stand the pain anymore. I don't know if my friend new what he was talking about, but shortly after he drank from the bottle, he collapsed. I don't think he made it any further. A few days later I heard he had passed. One of the saddest things I've ever seen.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
On the positive side, therapeutics/inhibitors are getting closer to something like "cures," and the rate at which these can be discovered is growing almost exponentially. This owes to big advances in both discovery/molecular software and the ability to scale compute basically on demand to whatever problem a lab wants to solve.

There's likely not going to be a single cancer pill or drug soon, but the advances are coming quickly and synergy via partnership is becoming fairly common. I hope it all bears some fruit asap of course. It's currently killing a very good friend of ours and took my wife's father in '04, my uncle in '89.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
The guitarist from the last band I was in just died a few weeks ago. I hadn't seen him in a few years, other than a FB post now and then, as he'd had to relocate downstate.

We'd been working on a song when the band dissolved and he left, but I didn't remember what state it was in, as we'd just started it. Well, the bass player called me last night and we got on the subject, so I went and opened the file. We'd decided the arrangement, and he'd cut a solid scratch vocal and guitar track, to a click.

We're going to get together and finish it up and give it to his wife and daughter for a memorial service they're holding in April. Oddly enough, the song is about making the most of the time you have. It was kind of tough to listen to it last night, but I know it will really mean a lot to his friends and family.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Thank you all. We don't know if this will be it but it, the passing of the other friend and what my wife was through sure are reminders of unfair matters in life.

With a little more time, I have more perspective and find it a sweet privilege to get the invite.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
F cancer is right. don't let it become the thing that defines your friend in any way; keep him alive through the memories you guys shared and keep making new ones until you can't.
remember, you won't get this time back, so make the most of it.

Bellacaster

Tele-Afflicted
______ cancer. My dad died of it when I was 19. My wife was diagnosed with it three years ago, her mom two years ago and her father this past June. It's an ever present black cloud over here. My wife and mother in-law are doing great, but my father in-law is at the low point of his treatment.

It's quite an honor to be invited to such a precious moment in a person's life. It will be hard, but just try to be present in that moment.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity

That will be difficult but it’s good to be invited. I’ve spent quite a bit of time with folks in their last days. To just be there as a friend is a blessing, to me, but oh God it is a hard one.

I lost my young mother to cancer 46 years ago, and I realized as I grew older all we’d truly missed. I never got to know her as we both aged, and she missed knowing future grandkids and great grandkids, plus so much else.

Friends here found out in December their only child, a 40 year old daughter had a form of cancer none of us even knew existed. She started treatment at the end of the month but things went surprisingly downhill very fast. They brought her home last week to place her in hospice care at their home. She passed away the next day. It was an unimaginably sad experience that was at least leavened somewhat by the large number of their daughter’s friends who were able to arrive from all over to spend her last days with her.

Cancer is a scourge that we’ll all eventually come in contact with. You take care, imjwl.

esseff

Friend of Leo's
A few years ago there was a cancer thread on an aviation website I follow and one of the American posters was into his last days, He was always a little crusty but still likeable. His last post was something like: 'I'm gonna spend what time I've got left enjoying my XXXXXX (a high performance car, I've forgotten the make) and rack up a few interstate speeding tickets that ain't gonna get paid.'
That was the last we heard from him. Went out in style. :cool:

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My sister called me from Ecuador just before she died. I wasn't home, so she left a voice message. I left it on the message queue until (I guess) the phone company aged it out.

😢

(Cancer.)

Last edited:

drlucky

Tele-Afflicted
I lost my beloved older sister to cancer 20 years ago this coming March. I miss her every day, and wish she was around to see my kid and share in his school accomplishments (she was a teacher). My drummer just went through his fourth round with cancer since 2017...he finds out next week how things look. And I've lost old friends to cancer.

Yeah, definitely ____ cancer.

Prayers to your friend, @imwjl

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
My brother had lymphatic cancer...he lived past his prognosis but he was in a lot of pain, both physically and emotionally as his life slowly deteriorated. He suicided about 6 months ago with pills and no one was surprised as he had said clearly he would not waste away in a hospital. Those were his terms and he stood by them. He chose when, where and how and I completely understand his decision. It's still very recent and the hurt is still big in me. The yearning to be in his presence again is huge. My mother died of cancer when I was 19...my father 11 years ago of cancer.

And still I don't have it in me to declare **** cancer. I totally understand the emotions behind that and I don't judge that reaction but I seem to have a different perspective than viewing it as 'the enemy'...neither am I saying it is a friend of course but for me it doesn't solve anything to view life as something filled with enemies and allies... especially when the supposed enemy is within us....that's declaring war on yourself if you are dealing with cancer and that just doesn't work for me. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to have a different reaction, I'm just stating how things are for me. Peace and love to all of us.

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
Just lost my best friend of 40 years on Dec 28th to pancreas cancer. Best, most happy go lucky dude I ever knew. ____ cancer, and more so, without getting political, the things we do now days that cause it more than ever. Cancer was almost non-existant in the past.

Last edited:

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Ride with your friend knowing it’s what we wants. May it bring comfort and peace to everybody on the ride.
Into the wind as we used to say