1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What 5 (or any number) pedals would you deem as essential?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Digiplay, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Sure. Just messing around. I feel like compression or leveling amp is a must for recording. Dirt of your choice. I like the option of some modulation, I’d pick chorus if it had a lot of range but that’s preference. Verb and delay.
    I have a lot of fun, weirdo pedals I play with at home when I’m not practicing. But most of them aren’t things I would gig. For a small board the above is what I’d carry. My current go-to chorus is the Julia. It does a decent vibrato and tremolo too. But I’ve been playing with a Catalinbread Zero Point a lot and it might make my list. When it’s on it just sounds like analog tape drag like we used to get in reel studios. Then any time you step and hold it’s a flanger.
    My current OD is the Wampler Pantheon but I have a Spaceman Apollo VII I like equally. I use a Pulp’N’Peel 4 for live on my board but I have a tube compressor leveler that I think I’m going to change to. It’s bigger. But I make my own boards so that’s not a big deal.

I have a guitar board, a bass board that I also use with baritone. And a MIDI board that I just use at home or for recording.

Pedals are like potato chips. You can’t have just 1.

2. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

You don't need 5, just a tuner and a Tube Screamer... or two

studio1087 likes this.
  3. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

1 Tuner
    2 Wah
    3 Overdrive
    4 Bluetooth scroller for ipad

And an amp with spring reverb and vibro.

Everything else is candy.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I can only speak for myself. But here goes. I’m gonna leave off a tuner, because even though it’s essential for my board, there are other ways to carry a tuner than in pedal form.

Essential for me-

1. Compressor. Has to have a mix knob to blend the dry and effected signal.

2. Low gain OD. This can be a TS, or SD1. I like em both. Could also be a variant, but after trying many dozens I tend to like a plain old TS or Boss SD1 the best. Currently using a TS mini. It’s wonderful.

3. Clean boost. I’ve tried loads and loads of these as well. Out of all the many dozens I’ve tried I liked the Boosta Grande, Fulltone Fat Boost 3, and the TC Spark Mini the best. Out of those three, my favorite is the Spark mini. It’s what I currently use.

4. Some type of modulation. If I were only going to have one, it would be the MXR Phase 95. Gives me a phase 45 and a phase 90, both script logo era or modern sounds. It’s a very versatile and fun pedal. I also like a good chorus, and lately I’ve been enjoying a flanger as well. But really I only need the phaser.

That’s my full rig for pretty much everything. If I had to choose a fifth to add in, I’d probably choose a tremolo. I always think I need a delay, but every time I buy I never end up using it.

chris m. likes this.
  5. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

I'd personally stay away from modelling amps so ... If it's for "recording only" why not add all the effects post-recording?

However, if you really want those pedals ... OD, Distortion, Fuzz, Vibe, Delay.

Compression and Reverb really should be added in the 'mix' ... no problem swapping the Vibe or Fuzz for Tremolo if preferred.

6. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

5E027A90-9B27-414B-ABF5-731EA172F629.jpeg For me delay,chorus,reverb,od,fuzz.....im waiting for my 1968 vox v828 tonebender fuzz restoration...

2L man likes this.
  7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Wah and tuner. The other things depend on what amp I would have.

8. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I am playing country music right now, and this is the board that I use with a Fender Deluxe Reverb. I would say that the bottom row is essential to me right now.

Bottom Row
    Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume and Tuner
    Cry Baby Wah (for one Reba song)
    EHX Pog (for two songs)
    Wampler Ego Compressor
    Ibanez TS-9
    MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Top Row (used for a backup amp)
    Strymon Flint
    Radial Twin City ABY
    Strymon Iridium
    Radial D-1 Direct Box

299D2D88-51BF-409B-B0B1-56961756B33B.jpeg

ndcaster likes this.
  9. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

no pedals are essential.

10. BlueTele

BlueTele Tele-Meister

You need "six" minimum if you say you want "five"...people always forget that a "tuner" is essential - and takes up space on your board. I would go:
    1. Tuner
    - Wah (OFF the board) and only if you need it - I keep mine off the board because they take up space)
    2. Compressor
    3. Clean boost (to boost up the compressed signal)
    4. Overdrive of some kind (Klon KTR, Analogman Price of Tone or King of Tone, Greer Lightspeed)
    5. Delay
    6. Reverb (if you want different types of Reverb beyond what your amp offers)
    - A Looper can be fun too, as the very last pedal before your signal hits the amp.

If you want swirling/trem effects - I would insert a Deja Vibe between the Overdrive and Delay. Gives you that Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs", Hendrix, Pink Floyd, etc. effect.

northernguitar likes this.
  11. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

The de facto standard would be Boss pedals. Beginners and pros all use them. You could buy a bunch and play around or get one of their multi FX boards. They’re also easy to sell if you don’t like them.

If I could only have one overdrive for recording, I’d use the Boss OD1X. If that’s too expensive, the Boss OD3 is comparable. The Boss CS3 Compressor is also an industry standard. As for the delay and reverb effects, you can really buy whatever you want. It’s tough to find bad time based effects these days.

12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

My picks:

-An OD pedal
    ( and I gotta call it 'transparent'- that can do a boost, without changing EQ...) with good range.on the ( usual ) Gain/Tone/Level knobs so you aren't stuck with either too much distortion or volume at the knobs' lower settings..

- a pedal capable of harder distortion, like a Rat, DS-1, or Fuzz

- Reverb, if your amp doesn't have ( I always use some Reverb)

- Tremolo, if your amp doesn't have

- Delay ( I use one mainly for slapback, but they can do a lot!)

- an amp emulator
    (I use a Joyo American Sound/Fender amp emulator)

These can steer a clean amp or go direct, towards the amp they are intended to emulate, AND are good to bring to gigs as a 'backup amp' to go into PA if you have amp problems

JustABluesGuy and Old Smokey like this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Tuner
    Wah
    EQ
    Compressor (4 knobs or more)
    Amp emulation of your choice of flavor

You get trem and reverb with the Twin.

14. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

Since the Fender amp has reverb and tremolo, I would go with tuner and overdrive first and foremost. Then maybe add chorus/vibe and a slapback-style delay. If you wanted to go further than that, I’d get a reverb with more options/controls and a tremolo with more options/controls.

I would suggest adding/playing with one pedal at a time. Getting all these effects and trying to use/master them all at the same time is a recipe for trouble.

northernguitar likes this.
  15. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Tuner
    Compressor
    Wah
    Fuzz
    Delay
    Overdrive -OR- Joyo American Sound

Tuner pedals don't count toward tone-boning, but they're super useful.

Others to consider include an EQ pedal and a D.I

16. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

What brand/model is your pedal board saleake?

17. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

4 pedals: Compressor, Dirt1, Dirt2, MS70CDR for most mods/delays/verbs.
    1 very nice modulation or delay or reverb depending on which is most important to you. I went with a Boss DD500 to explore a world of delays.

18. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

The only pedal I would deem essential is some kind of overdrive/distortion. Second place is delay. After that it just depends.

19. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Presuming I have on-board reverb on the amp...

1. Tuner (TU3)
    2. Boost (TC Spark Mini, EP Booster, Keeley Katana Boost)
    3. Overdrive: (Timmy, Ts9, BD2,)
    4. Delay: (Slapback, Digital DD2,3, Strymon Timeline)
    5. Compressor: (Wampler Ego)

20. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

I would include an EQ pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.