1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What 5 (or any number) pedals would you deem as essential?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Digiplay, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

This Thread is an offshoot of my previous Thread regarding "Which of these two for my first Combo Amp?", the two being a Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb or a Katana Artist MKII.

It dawned on me that it's not really a true "apples versus apples" competition, as the Katana is a modeler amp with a ton of built in effects, where the Twin doesn't have any digital effects.

As part of my wildly acclaimed "Rules" on that Thread, here they are:
    1) I have been playing guitar now for about 2 years.
    2) This will be my first combo amp (I've been playing clean sounds through my Studio Monitors).
    3) It will for recording only, in my home studio, and no playing live.
    4) It will be for my original songs (Pop/R&B/Funk/New Country/Contemporary Jazz).
    5) I had thought of going with a pedal board, but perhaps it wouldn't be needed depending on which amp I go with.
    6) I just want a good amp to get me started, and I'm sure that once I get use to either selection, there will ALWAYS be another one to buy as my skills slowly advance :)

So..............................................................................................................................................

should I decide to go with a pedal board/the Fender, what are your recommendations as to what 5 pedals would you deem as essential to allow the Fender to give the Katana a run for it money, being aware of my specific needs?

Also note, the number of pedals is not set in stone, and if you think for the time being that 3 or 4 will suffice, please chime in on that! :)

Scott79, Supereditor and Festofish like this.
  2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Do all 5 have to be fuzz pedals or can one or 2 be fuzz/octaves?

3. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I have an open mind Killing Floor, but remember that they will be used for recording (no live playing) my various genre original songs, so I might need just a LITTLE more variations than primarily fuzz pedals :)

Killing Floor likes this.
  4. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

Compressor, OD, tremolo, delay, reverb.

5. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

considering 3.) recording and 4). your song genres,

1) wah
    2) compressor
    3) OD
    4) fuzz
    5) echo/delay

would be my five for the Twin.

Edit: I removed the tremolo as the amp already has it, and added fuzz.

6. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

Wah + Compressor + Overdrive + Delay + Reverb

Maguchi and Obsessed like this.
  7. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi Tele-friend!

So you don't like the built in Tremolo or Reverb that the Twin already has?

Thanks
    Jerry

8. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

So far, I note that the effects most of you have in common are Wah/Compressor/Overdrive/Echo/Delay.

I HATE to ask this question, but will any of you agree which brand/model of the Compressor/Overdrive/Echo/Delay you have suggested that would be considered the "standard" for recording?

northernguitar likes this.
  9. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Given the amps you're talking about and your music styles:

Wah
    Compressor
    Overdrive
    Boost
    Delay

10. David Meiland

David Meiland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nobody said a tuner pedal yet. I much prefer mine to the few clip-ons that I have.

11. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I would consider a delay pedal that also has a looping function like the boss dd7.

The looper is a great tool for practicing and composing. Teaching your ear to hear different harmonies, layering guitar parts, working on your songs, etc. I wouldn’t say it’s essential but I would highly recommend it.

Aside from that you would have delay.

I would also consider an overdrive pedal. It doesn’t matter which one because you will probably end up with tons of them at some point haha.

Either amp will have reverb to start with.

Nothing is truly essential though. Just keep playing and learning. Look into how your favorite players get their sounds and decide what is important to you and what you want.

Edit : I just read your question more clearly haha. I don’t know much about the effects offered in the Katana.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Maguchi likes this.
  12. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

So if I include a tuner, will my six pedal be more than enough, ESPECIALLY for my limited abilities?

In other words, if I buy them, don't DARE blame it on my lack of pedals :)

13. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

Hey Jerry,
    The answer to most questions in life is: "it depends". :)
    If you like the built in Tremolo and Reverb, then no need for tremolo/reverb pedals.
    If you on the other hand want a little more versatility for recording (different types of reverbs in one pedal, like TC Hall of Fame or different tremolos, like a JAM Harmonious Monk) add some pedals to the amp. The nice thing about pedals is that even if you change your current amp or buy another one, you still have all this effects. ;)
    If you like your amp tremolo and reverb and don’t need them as pedals, then I would suggest to add a looper and tuner instead like it was suggested before.
    Hope my opinion helps.

drewg likes this.
  14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

You have reverb and tremolo and some light dirt on tap in your amp..

so to get most from it, i’d suggest...

A good boost.. mxr microamp or similar.
    A delay with tap tempo and digital/analog modes. I use a DD7 which is also a looper.
    A chorus (we do a lot of 80’s and 90’s) and it adds colour and movement if subtle for pop, etc.
    A low / medium gain boost/dirt.. i found the perfect one in a Boss OD-3. Can use to extend the crunchy dirt tones of an amp like yours. A fulltone OCD is also a great pedal with tonnes or range and touch sensitivity and will get you marshall type high gain lead tones.

Nice to haves:

Compressor.. but you can often set amp to naturally compress.

Maguchi likes this.
  15. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

You’d have sufficient trem and reverb on the Fender. So, for my tastes (your tastes may differ) and with that amp:

1) compressor
    2) transparent overdrive like a Timmy or Lightspeed
    3) overdrive with a prominent mid-bump like a Tubescreamer or a Klone
    4) OD with more rumble and grit, like a JHS Superbolt, Marshall-in-a-box or maybe a fuzz instead
    5) delay

chris m. likes this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I'm going to make your selection process more difficult ;)

Go with any amp that can play clean (to give you volume and a headphone jack) and then use some pedals. Find something on the used market. Most amp reviews focus on the drive/distortion circuit tones. Don't care about that. Just care about the cleans.

Get a Joyo American Sound pedal to get all the 'Fender Amp Tones'. It can also go direct to recording without needing a physical amp (amp sim). Here it's run into an amp set clean with a mic to record. All the overdrive/distortion tones are from the Joyo. This pedal got me playing my Strat again. It's $30.

Here the Joyo is running direct to recording without an amp. Video shows how to stack pedals for better tone.

I attached one of the "affordaboard" series of pedal reviews, dig into the others on that channel that go over specific pedal types like 'all the Reverbs'. Or the 'all the pedals from brand' videos. The goal in these is most of the pedals are around $25 each. So your total set of tones, your whole pedal board, costs less than a single regular pedal recommendation you'll likely get in this thread.

You can also check out the V-amp product(s) out there that give you a whole range of tones like the Katana. Certainly people can quibble about 'the Katana sounds better!' and they may be right or wrong but this type of unit gives you all the pedals to experiment with then you can chase down a specific pedal to solve a particular problem.

17. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

If you don’t need to get freaky with reverb or tremolo, the TMTR will be great. More pedals! Here’s my recommendations for your music styles:

1. Tuner-Polytune or a Boss would be good.
    2. Either a wah or an envelope filter, respectively a Crybaby or an EHX Micro Q-Tron
    3. Compressor- MXR DynaComp , Boss CS-3
    4. OD-Tubescreamer to bring the grit, or a Klon clone for a more transparent boost. I also like a treble booster. A good and simple Rangemaster clone is the ticket.
    5. Delay. For your music choices, an analog is perfect. JHS has the 3-Series pedals and their offering sounds great (you could also get a great compressor and OD from this line). I use an Ibanez Mini Delay, love it.
    6. And because a tuner pedal doesn’t count, a fuzz pedal is a great choice. Too much variation here. Or, you may prefer a distortion pedal. Again, huge choice here. You could cover a lot of ground with a Marshall-in-a-box. I like the Friedman BE-OD, but it’s a very heavy distortion.

I’ll add to get a good power supply with isolated outputs. Beware the cheap ones made by the likes of Donner or Mosky that claim to have isolated outputs. They play fast with their messaging. Individual outputs does not mean isolated.

18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

for me
    Zoom 707, DOD FX17 WAH, H9 Max

drewg likes this.
  19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Drive, delay...

I rarely use modulation of any kind so not “essential”.

Maguchi and telemnemonics like this.
  20. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve Tele-Meister

Low-gain OD, medium-high-gain OD, chorus, delay, reverb

Maguchi and Okieactor like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.