What 3 strings and how would you tune them

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I’m building a cigar box guitar with only 3 strings. What three strings would you chose and how would you tune them and why. My original thought was D, G, and B tuned to E, A,C#[open A) for easy slide work, but I’m second guessing myself. So I’m leaning on the wisdom of the group

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
G B D gets you open G with the bass on the third - you can do both bottleneck and fretted (if its got frets). You could also try an Appalachian dulcimer tuning GGC (or the equivalent) and play it on your lap/

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I usually use GDG for 3 stringers, sometimes tuned down or up a 1/2 or full step. I like the forgiving root and fifth and the low bass note for a drone.

I also sometimes use a single note tuning (GGG or the like). I like to call it a "baby ostrich" tuning.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Seasick Steve is another great reference for a 3 string guitar. Not sure what his tuning is but it'd be worth finding out.
I just utubed the man. What a guy. I get the impression he tunes by ear. I also noticed that his bass string is spaced in the 5th string location and uses the second and third strings. thanks for pointing me in his direction

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I do 4 string CBG's In G-D-G-B using the middle 4 strings of a 6 string pack.

Most of the 3 string CBG's I've seen are the A-D-G strings tuned to G< but those E-A-D strings tuned to D sound really dirty.

Dan Estock

Tele-Meister
On my 3 stringer I used the bottom 3 from a 11-52 set and tuned to 1 5 8 after finding a string tension that I liked for the scale length. I think it ended up AEA but I’d have to check.