What 3 saddle bridges are a perfect fit on a MIM Standard?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by nickmsmith, Jun 20, 2021.

1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

Looking to change a couple of my MIMs to 3 saddle bridges. Is it easy to find some that line up perfectly with the string-thru holes??

hoping to figure out before I jump in and buy a couple. Thanks!

2. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

depending on the year ................ I have a 97' MIM and used a Wilkinson bridge with great success......... have fun

Gary

nickmsmith likes this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

Thanks! I decided to give one from guitarmadness on eBay a shot. If they don’t work, Wilkinson will be the next purchase. Much appreciated.

4. Five Aces

Five Aces Tele-Meister

Just as a reference, I went in reverse from a 3 saddle vintage bridge (Fender branded bridgeplate w/ 4 screw mount) to a modern 6 block saddle bridge w/ a matching 4 screw mount (in my case, a generic brand) and the thru holes were a perfect match. I did actually do a slight countersink on the body thru holes to clean them up only because it was an oportunity to do so while the bridge was off... not because it necessarily needed it. I think it's safe to assume the reverse would also produce the same perfect match, especially if you stick with Fender parts or reputable Fender compatible generic brands. To keep interchangability with Fender necks and bodies, yet maintain an accurate 25.5 scale length, I'd think they would have to be interchangable with both style bridge plates.

nickmsmith likes this.
  5. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Most 4 screw vintage style bridges should fit.

Before you go ahead you should be aware that the vintage style bridge are a smaller dimension than the MIM bridge. Possibly everything that makes contact with the finish (the bridge) can leave pressure marks. When you go to a smaller bridge you may see the pressure marks from the original bridge.

nickmsmith likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

G. Rotten is correct, that the vast majority of those offered, will fit. So, the question should then be: What looks the best, for such a guitar, at a fair price? For me, the answer is going to Darren Riley and buying a stock AV52 style bridge plate (fender) and some slant compensated brass saddles (mild slant, also from Fender) and you're under $ 40, per guitar. I can understand not putting "fender" imaging on a non Fender guitar, but since this is a Fender MIM, the decision, to me, is a no brainer.

These Wilky/Sung Il bridges just look cheap, and the one I bought, wasn't good enough to even use. For me at least, when the bottom is rendered dead flat, the corrosion starts and cannot be stopped.

nickmsmith likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.