What 12 inch speaker for my 5F10 Harvard build?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by verbroman, Jun 1, 2020.

What 12 inch speaker for my 5F10 Harvard build?

Poll closed Jun 15, 2020.
  1. Weber 12A100T

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Fat Jimmy C1225

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Vintage Early 60's Jensen P12Q

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Eminence Alesandro GA-SC59

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  5. Fat Jimmy A1260

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Weber 12F150

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

I normally don't go off stated scope, with speaker size and voicing, but I would just mentiong that my brother has a late 50s tweed Harvard with a Celestion Gold and it's maybe the best amp I've ever heard.

I had one of those Weber alnicos - I think 12Axxx in my brown early 60s Vibrolux and chucked it in favor of a 12'' Celestion Gold. I'm not happy with the weight but I am happy with the sound. I don't go much for this British vs American thing save when it comes to El84s.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Fwiw, the Harvard came stock with a P12R. Leo never spent more money than he had to.

3. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

I have no doubt a Celestion speaker would sound good in the amp and have heard that the Gold and Blue alnicos sound great in tweeds. However, I wanted to see if I can first get close to the original character of the amp and go from there. I have come to prefer Fender style cleans, in my playing experience, and wanted to make sure I don't stray to far from that.

Having said that, I am very curious to how a Gold or Blue would sound in the amp.

High Head Brad likes this.
  4. Wally

I like the Weber in this comparison of the
    Celestion Blue and the Weber Blue Dog....ommv.....

5. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

My amp will be arriving on Monday and my general conclusion is in line with what the survey results is saying. Ideally, I would go for a vintage P12Q or P12R but it seems that it is riskier than I would like. I would have to be lucky to get a great sounding one that would bring me closest to the original sound of the amp . There is a greater chance that I would get one that has issues or is just OK sounding.

For now I have decided to go with the SC59. I'm hearing a lot of great things about how it has helped vintage amps sound like they use to. The vintage style paper voice coil former is lighter in weight in comparison to the typical Kapton former which should be helpful in lowered powered amps like the Harvard. Weber doesn't think it makes much of a difference while WGS does.

I want to thank everyone for their help, it's been tremendously useful in making my choice.

6. Wally

That SC59 will be more like a P12N, imho. It may be a great speaker, but it will not let that amp be what a 5F11
    Would have been back in the day.i am going to expect that you are going to like the comb8nation quite a bit nonetheless. I expect it to have more low end, be more articulate, and generally have more authority than would a clone of the P12R. Were I going for a new speaker to clone what the amp would have had, I would have chosen a low output Weber Alnico...12A125....which would still not quite be as ‘light’ in its action as a P12R.
    Enjoy....

7. Wally

I just ran across a 12” that I would like to try in a little tweed amp.....a Magnavox Alnico with a fairly good sized magnet structure....about like a P12Q in structure. I’m gonna hook it up to a little amp manana and see what this organ speaker can do.

8. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

Just got the speaker in. Here are some pics.

IMG_20200606_105820.jpg IMG_20200606_110626.jpg

theprofessor likes this.
  9. Wally

Now I know what the ‘SC’ stands for.....

Here is what a WEber recone on a 1955 P12R looks...fresh and in played. E1B8BC3E-1721-4BE0-9181-268A73DBB133.jpeg 96559C01-7336-45B3-A8DF-06CC88BADA38.jpeg

10. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Harvard originally came with a Jensen P10R. A P10Q would sound nice as would a Weber 10A125. A 1961 P10Q with a Weber recone and 30 watt voice coil.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Wally likes this.
  11. Emiel

Emiel Tele-Meister

I'm a bit late to the game!

I too have a 5F10 in a Deluxe enclosure and tried a few speakers. Jensen P12Q reissue, Speed Shop A12Q (basically a Weber 12A125A), Mojotone MP12R, Eminence Legend 1228. I have played it through my 2x12 cabs with Greenbacks and Fanes as well. I ended up with the Eminence Legend 1228. These aren't made any more but sound real nice, I'd say close to a P12Q. Not too loud but not too quiet either.

I too think the Eminence GA-SC59 is more like a P12N so it will properly be louder and fatter sounding. But I might be wrong! Very interested to hear your opinion once you've tried the GA-SC59 and the Magnavox speakers.

12. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

maybe consider something like the Eminence Maverick?

13. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

@verbroman, This thread hasn't been posted to in a while, just wondering how your Harvard build ended up sounding with the SC59?

It all looks beautiful, congrats on the new amp!

14. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Weber 12A125A. I've got it in my 5E3 and it's the best 12" speaker out there for tweeds. I like it better than a vintage P12Q I had in there before. Just absolutely full and chimey sounding with no low end flub. Very clear and defined. Sounds smooth when pushed into breakup.

Edit: Didn't read the entire thread so I didn't realize this was an old thread. I stand by my recommendation though.

gabasa likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.