1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What 12 inch speaker for my 5F10 Harvard build?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by verbroman, Jun 1, 2020.

What 12 inch speaker for my 5F10 Harvard build?

Poll closed Jun 15, 2020.
  1. Weber 12A100T

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Fat Jimmy C1225

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Vintage Early 60's Jensen P12Q

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Eminence Alesandro GA-SC59

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  5. Fat Jimmy A1260

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Weber 12F150

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

Jim of LiL Dawg amps is currently building me a 18 watt 5F10 Harvard style amp using a Princeton chassis and a 12 inch cab.

I am mostly looking for it to stay true to the original sound of the amp but I am flexible as long as the speaker is American voiced. I'm a bit torn between using a higher and lower efficiency speaker and I'm partial to the Alnico "chime". I mostly play clean and may sometimes use a pedal for some overdrive.

I included the speakers in this survey, based in my research, that I think would be best for this build and would appreciate everyone's opinion. Please let me know if there are other speakers that I should also consider.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Well, assuming you are really serious about true to original then my vote is one of the Weber 12A100 variants like you mention.. Not what I would do though.
    I sold a Harvard clone I built years ago when I was on the Weber Forums and the buyer is also a member on this board, although I haven't seen him for a while. I let my favorite Weber 12F150 (C12N) get away with that amp, and he has raved about it for years.

Based on that I would go with an Emi GA SC 64 myself, but I'm not an alnico fan. The Emi GA SC 59 may be a great one.

verbroman likes this.
  3. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info. Was your 12F150 25 or 50 watts? If you don't mind me asking, how did it sound in your Harvard?

I am currently leaning towards the SC59, but it is pretty expensive.

4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

My 12F150 was 50 watts, no dope or light dope, H screen cap. Used to be one of my favorite speakers. I had several of that variety.
    The GA SC64 is a great speaker and similar to the 12F150. Good right out of the box.
    The 12F150 is a bold speaker with a nice musical "voice". Strong low end but not overwhelming. Very Fender sounding with good balance, not fizzy or too bright. The Harvard being fixed bias is not unlike a later Deluxe to my ears. That old Weber I tried in my Harvard and it sounded so good, I just had to sell it with the amp. I've been disappointed that I did that. It sounded great in my BFDR also prior.
    No two speakers seem to be alike. I bought a 12F150 to replace it but it just wasn't the same.

verbroman likes this.
  5. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

I edited the survey to include the Weber 12F150 speaker.

6. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

High Head Brad likes this.
  7. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I have a Mojotone 5f11 tweed vibrolux which is similar to your amp.
    It came with a Fat Jimmy 1025c, a very nice speaker.
    I am now using a Weber 12a125a that is even better.
    I was curious about the Fat Jimmy 12" speakers but ended up getting the Weber for the same $$.
    Mark

AlbertaGriff, verbroman and slider313 like this.
  8. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would also go with a Weber 12A125A @ 30 watts. This speaker is Weber's version of the original Jensen P12Q.

FYI: Most original '50's-early 60's Jensen P12Q speakers are in need of a recone by now; so it's a crap shoot.

9. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

I built a Weber 6a20 (Deluxe Reverb clone) and put a Weber 15F150 in it. Glorious.

verbroman likes this.
  10. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

Along with voice coil rub...I know it's a gamble to go for the vintage P12Q but I can't deny I'm curious.

11. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Jim is first class.. Ive talked to him through email in building me a nice BF amp of my dreams.. havent given the go signal first as AUD is not strong against USD, but he's a top notch guy! I cant wait to get mine started!

On the speaker recommendation, my friend has a deluxe reverb which he went back and forth with Jensen C12K 100w and the Weber 12F150 50w.. granted the Weber needed some breaking in.. and it sounded great too once it was, but a little too ice picky for my taste.. but its his amp, and the Weber stayed in.. He plays a Les Paul HB's and P90 equipped tele..

verbroman likes this.
  12. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

On top of it all, Jim's prices are so reasonable!

Thanks for the recommendations. Seems like there is a lot of Weber love so far.

13. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

A note on new Weber speakers.
    They can break in your newly minted
    speaker.
    I asked for 'extra' break in. The invoice had a note, "2X break in."
    Free too.

M

14. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Almost two years ago Michael Clark built me a Harvard, Clark calls it the Webster. I had him put a fine original cone, 1961 Jensen P10Q in it. They tried various speakers in it, including a Tone Tubby Red 10 inch, a Celestion Gold 10 and an Alessandro GA10 SC64. The unanimous choice was the Jensen. So if you can find an original P12Q, and you want to, try it. If you don't like it you'll always be able to sell it and get your money back. My Clark was built with the P10Q, the only speaker that it's had, and it will not be changed anytime soon. Good luck with whichever you choose, and have fun doing it!!!

RJ

verbroman likes this.
  15. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

That is my feeling too, if I can find a vintage P12Q in good working order at a decent price, I would probably choose it as the speaker.

16. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

It's nice to get a better picture how your speaker will sound right from the start. This way you don't have to wait and hope that the sound will improve with age.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  17. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I'm waiting for a 5f11 clone. I have a Weber 12a125a waiting to go in. Great speaker. I have one in my 5e3 deluxe clone.

18. verbroman

verbroman TDPRI Member

19. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Last year I built a Mojotone 5F11 with a 12" baffle. I initially put a Allessandro GA64 ceramic speaker but quickly realized it wasn't quite right for what I was looking for with that amp. Ordered a Weber 12A125A and never looked back - speaker really nailed what I was hoping for with that amp.

20. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

Also having a 5F11 built for me in the next week which is getting a Weber 12A125A. I also had that speaker in a 5E3 and it sounds great in those mid sized tweeds

AlbertaGriff and verbroman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.