What’s your opinion on how beginners should learn?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by skitched, Mar 24, 2020 at 3:30 PM.

Which method do you see as being better in the long run?

1. Learn chords and play along with popular songs from the first lesson

67.1%
  2. Learn to play individual notes and melodies

9.2%
  3. Other

23.7%
  1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I tried to use a teacher when I first started playing. I'm generally self-taught, with everything, but I thought it would be a good idea, to get me started right.

Selecting the right teacher is not so easy, though. I didn't have enough experience to select based on much except how far from my house they were. This guy had apparently been a pro player, but now he taught lessons out of his home, while his wife worked. I think he mostly taught kids, not adults. And he seemed bitter about ... something. I heard endlessly about how good he was, and every time he'd demonstrate the simplest thing, he'd over play, confuse the issue, and waste time. Dude! I hardly knew my basic cowboy chords at that point.

In short, he was a horrible teacher, IMO, with a huge chip on his shoulder when it came to teaching adults. Any question I asked was taken as criticism, somehow.

I stuck it out for 8 or 10 lessons, then hung it up, went home and started teaching myself. Not as effective, most likely, but at least it was comfortable ground for me. Fortunately my only goal is to play for personal enjoyment. If I wanted to be a great player, I'd be missing out with just li'l ol' me as a teacher.

skitched likes this.
  2. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

I'd also like to say this - Today it's sooooo much easier to learn just about ANYTHING than it was "back in the day". Today there's all sorts of avenues to take on the internet, big box music stores, instructors aplenty in just about every town, etc. etc. Heck, there's even video games! All of this is leaps and bounds from what us older gen's, pre-internet and big box, had to deal with in order to learn. IMO, there's no excuse to not learn how to play today. As someone said it earlier - "the burning desire to learn..." this is the MAIN ingredient, and this was true 30+ years ago as it is today. Today you have more options/advantage to learn vs. 30+ years ago... that's all I'm sayin' ;)

skitched likes this.
  3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah it is implicit anytime someone says "Find a teacher" that what we really mean is "find a good teacher".

No shame in cancelling with a teacher who is not getting the job done and finding someone new.

I'm very lucky in the Boston area.. we have tons of guitar teachers who went to Berklee who are great, it makes it a lot easier to find someone good if you live near a well known music college/university/conservatory.

4. moosie

Well, obviously, find a good one. But that's not so easy for a rank beginner to assess. And if you don't have many in easy driving distance...

5. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

With the internet and Skype there is no more "I can't find a teacher near me." If someone wants to make the effort, there are ALWAYS good teachers available.

And I agree with "good" teachers. A bad teacher is worse than no teacher.

6. moosie

Thing is, my little tale earlier about learning from the Blues You Can Use books... I wasn't shunning other resources, it just happened that way. But a lot of why it worked for me is because it was old school, simple, low tech. The internet in particular, and the vast array of choices in general, are not always a benefit. I'm an organized, driven kind of guy, but even so, it's easy to get distracted, easy to follow too many paths.

Use all the resources at first, but then pick something and work it. Don't flit around, wasting time and energy. IMHO.

7. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Heh,I dunno for sure.

I didn't learn in any formal fashion,so I'm no great example. I think Jakedog covered it for me,plus Mjark's comment about burning desire.

Lots of things become possible if you really want them.

8. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

I agree; that's what referrals are for. Although they aren't foolproof. I went to a highly recommended teacher. He kept teaching me songs and bits and pieces with no guidance how to put it all together. I lasted about 2 months just because he was such a great player, but he didn't help me with my picking, reading, knowledge of chords, technique, etc. That's where common sense comes in, but you have to have it and trust it.

And with Skype you don't even have to leave your house.

9. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Amen to this. I am old school so.... you betcha! Just sayin' that if I had the resources that are available today.... things would've been a lot easier ;) Cheers!

10. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

While I'm sure some of the youtuber's are good the best free option is through coursera
    https://www.coursera.org/learn/guitar
    the next course starts march 26th offered by Berklee

they also have music theory courses, recording courses and a ton of other stuff.

11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe you burn your toast sometimes but I ran into nuthin' but jazz heads. Not interested.

One dude wasted an hour of my time playing jazz progressions I was supposed to improvise over.

Again, not interested.

If an instructor doesn't have enough situational awareness to make it interesting for me... well, I'm not interested.

Seems simple enough.

skitched likes this.
  12. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

Open Tunings. Tune a guitar to an open tuning and LET THEM PLAY IT.
    Keep it tuned, for them, and for you.
    They want it to sound like Music.
    You want it to sound like Music.
    Play.
    Enjoyment.
    DADGAD or
    DADF#AD...
    (Just because it's an open tuning doesn't mean they have to have a slide.)
    Just let them play. Fun. Yeah, that...
    They'll develop CONFIDENCE that they can make something that sounds like music, and maybe, just maybe, they'll get interested in learning more.
    IF they _are_ interested, they will begin to ask questions about other tunings (of which "Standard" is but ONE), and other instruments.
    Kids are playing video games because there's no Professor Bachenbieter standing over them with a Riding Crop, telling them "Vrong!!! _whack_ "Again!!!" _whack_...
    (Now, if this your idea of fun, I'm not going to judge you, but...)
    Keep it tuned. Let it sound good. Let them play it.
    Keep it tuned.
    Let them HAVE FUN.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Anything except for learning to read.

After all - it’s just guitar !

My buddy , one of Detroit’s busiest jazz guitarists , gives lessons.

He always says that if you see three guys on the street with instrument cases - two winds and a guitarist - you can guarantee that two of those folks can read. :lol:

14. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Meister

learn in the morning, play in the evening.

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

For years and years, lap steel was one of the most popular beginner instruments* for the simple reason that the big slogan was - “play a song after your first lesson !”

*It’s why Leo started with that - a ready market.

Jlwctn likes this.
  16. Cloodie

Cloodie TDPRI Member

I played guitar for a few years before taking up other interests. I came back to the guitar about a year ago and decided to follow a structured learning programme on Justin's site. In one year I've learned so much more than I did in all my previous years. I would highly recommend his site and following the programs he has. Start with the beginner course, then the intermediate course and then you can branch out to any specific areas you'd like to follow. It's a brilliant resource, especially considering it's free.

skitched likes this.
  17. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Meister

The kind if music you want to learn should be agreed upon before the lessons start.

18. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

We're talkin' 'bout practice. (A. Iverson.)

19. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

We used to gather around the piano and sing little kid songs with Mrs. Edgerly, my third grade teacher.

I was a depressed kid. I 100% hated it. That set me back musically for decades. I'm not kidding.

It's weird that I play at all. I'm more inclined to bash things with my guitar.

Jlwctn and skitched like this.
  20. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

Better yet, let's pull that other string off of there, along with the rattling tuner,
    And put it in Open G, the Key of Keef!
    Worst thing that could happen is they start learning Banjo licks, and then you start hearing songs like,
    "Sally Churns Butter With No Hands", and
    "I Pushed It Up The Mountain, Rolled It Down The Other Side"...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.