What’s your oldest guitar/instrument in general?

nedorama

Tele-Holic
65 Tremolux amp and 2x10 cab. 3 years ago it would have been a '59 Bogen Challenger CHA-33 as well as a '65 Showman head and a '65 Bandmaster. Bandmaster was stolen, sold off the other two as I was never using them, but it was fun to have a full stable of Fenders for a while.

Princeton's a 74 and the Princeton Reverb's a 1980, but the faceplate was scratched beyond belief so bought a black panel repro.
Fender Family.JPG

acoustic rob

Tele-Holic
I have a '73 Champ that's been heavily futzed with, there's a lot inside it that's not actually from '73.

My mom still plays the baby grand that her dad bought her when she was a girl. That was back in the 1950s and it was probably bought used, so it's likely older than that.

Fuelish

Tele-Afflicted
foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
Had to scroll through the thread to be sure I haven't previously posted.....my oldest is a very fine to near mint '64 Harmony Silhouette (to become Harmony Bobkat in later years) with DeArmond gold folis.....all original, plays/sounds great, everything works as original...it's a rowdy lil thing, same as the guitar I played/learned on growing up. Shall have to find a pic if I can find one, might be on Facebook.....shall update

<edit/update>

57471851_2712361942113477_2989998876758376448_n.jpg

Last edited:

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
1939 Gibson lap steel. Has the most incredible tone cranked up . I couldn’t even imagine how insane it would be if I could take this thing out and put into a guitar . But I can’t see tampering with an instrument that old . Even though the value on these never went very high

scrimmer

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
This is the only one that managed to survive after all my trading/bartering and selling over the years.
Had a '68 Fender Mustang in Competition Red with the white racing stripe at one time that I started out on, but got in dire straits one time and sold it with a few others to pay some medical bills. You all know how that goes. My KILLER '78 Ibanez Musician MC200 from back in the day! Awesome guitar that will NEVER get sold.
IMG_0716.JPG

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Mine will probably fail in comparison to some of yours. But also can’t find a definite year. Hohner’s website says you have to email them with a detailed description for archives. I’ve tried a few times. Most I can dig up Is early to mid 1970’s

I love her. Got her stupid cheap (may be actual value. Couldn’t find another around) but she sure sounds good. She’s kept in Nashville Tuning.

View attachment 896306 View attachment 896307 View attachment 896308

@Midgetje94 the guitar I've had the longest is my Hohner G-940, made in Japan in the early 1980s and bought new the spring of 1983.

My Hohner G-940 - 11-10-2015.jpg

But the oldest guitar (which I've only had for a little over a year) is my MiC (Made in Chicago) Harmony Broadway U954 archtop guitar. It's a 1953, and so am I; it's my birthyear guitar.

08-24-2020 - Bella, my 1953 Harmony Broadway H-954 and me - 1.jpg

Oh, and BTW, since you mentioned Nashville tuning, I have a Wechter parlor guitar that was made from the ground up to be a Nashville-tine/high string guitar, from the parlor size, the thinness of the top, the bracing, the cut of the nut, everything designed for Nashville-tuned playing.

02-03-2016 - Wechter Nashville 2.jpg

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
My oldest is the 1976 Yamaha FC-335 my friend Joe's parents bought him in a music store in Quincy, IL when he was probably 13 or 14. He gave it to me in the 90's, when he bought a nice Guild, and since then it has been my main writing and 'figuring things out' guitar. I guess it's my #1, though I always think of my Strat that way, because that's what I use when rocking out. I play the Yamaha more than any other guitar I have.

That's him in those two pics tacked to the wall. He passed away far too young in 2020. We had a get together a few weeks back so I printed a bunch of shots and hung them up in my music room.

The guitar is just on the wall for the photo, and lighting. It is always on one of the two closest stands to me.

EDIT: Here's two songs I used it on...
https://lonepoorboy.files.wordpress.com/2021/04/love_lies_dyin.mp3
https://lonepoorboy.files.wordpress.com/2021/03/crucify-me.mp3

IMG_4633.jpeg

Last edited:

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
As I remarked on the twin thread to this, here are my two oldest pieces in one picture: 1938 Epiphone De Luxe guitar and 1946 Epiphone Zephyr amp. Haven't checked the date of the DeArmond pickup but it's an old warrior too…

View attachment 900635

That is heavenly. Both of them. Together.

EDIT: I was going to ask if you were anywhere near Colorado, and then I scrolled up and saw 'Italy and Switzerland'. YOU DIRTY DOG! (Norm McDonald tribute).

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
@Midgetje94 the guitar I've had the longest is my Hohner G-940, made in Japan in the early 1980s and bought new the spring of 1983.

View attachment 900680

But the oldest guitar (which I've only had for a little over a year) is my MiC (Made in Chicago) Harmony Broadway U954 archtop guitar. It's a 1953, and so am I; it's my birthyear guitar.

View attachment 900682

Oh, and BTW, since you mentioned Nashville tuning, I have a Wechter parlor guitar that was made from the ground up to be a Nashville-tine/high string guitar, from the parlor size, the thinness of the top, the bracing, the cut of the nut, everything designed for Nashville-tuned playing.

View attachment 900684

That looks just like my hohner! Mines Korean tho lol. And yea. I’ve read parlor responds better to Nashville tunings. Haven’t gotten around to buying one yet. When I do. Hohner will probably move to open G

Wobbles

Tele-Meister
My oldest is a Guild D52 I bought new in '92. I had a '68 335 and a '71 D18 both bought new, but had to sell them in 2008. Also had to sell my F5G Mandolin in 2008. If you're broke, it's a recession. If I'm broke, it's a depression. Forgot I have a '67 Ampeg B15.

catdaddy

Tele-Afflicted
The oldest instrument I own was passed on to me by my father-in-law when he passed away twenty years ago. He bought it new circa 1932-33 and played it in what he called a "hillbilly band" as a teenager. From the little research that I've done on it, I believe it was made by the Regal company in Chicago as their cheaper version of a Dobro.

Regal-Dobro.jpg

The instrument that I've owned the longest is my 1970 Gibson Hummingbird. Got it for my 19th birthday, and it's been with me for 51 years so far.

P1020191.jpg

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
The oldest instrument I own was passed on to me by my father-in-law when he passed away twenty years ago. He bought it new circa 1932-33 and played it in what he called a "hillbilly band" as a teenager. From the little research that I've done on it, I believe it was made by the Regal company in Chicago as their cheaper version of a Dobro.

Regal-Dobro.jpg

The instrument that I've owned the longest is my 1970 Gibson Hummingbird. Got it for my 19th birthday, and it's been with me for 51 years so far.

P1020191.jpg

I can’t tell from the photo, is that a real resonator or a false one? Almost looks like it doesn’t have a cone?

There was some false ones made back then that look like that, pretty sweet

Sweet hummingbird too!